228377 Bullies, 4080 online  
  • Register
Our Sponsors:

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

primarily in NC, but travel often to visit family.

Posted On:
    6/10/2009 2:58pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Tae Kwon Do, & Karate

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Jung's World Tae Kwon Do

Jung's World Tae Kwon Do is overall is not a great dojang to join. The head instructor is Master Hyun Woo Jung (6th Dan). I was a member of this dojang back in 1996, when Master Jung first arrived from Korea to work under Grandmaster K.S. Lee for his Durham, NC dojang. Master Jung was about 24 years old and was an arrogant, cocky and pretty good fighter from Korea. At the time he was supposed to be a world champion. He stayed with Grandmaster Lee, for about a year, then moved back to Korea, then moved on to the Boston area to work under another master. Jung's English wasn't very good, but he had an excellent translator by the name of Instructor Michelle Gordon. Ms. Gordon was an instructor out of Seattle Washington, and she had been affiliated with Grandmaster Lee's dojang since about 1992.

Well, after Jung left, Instructor Gordon took over as the head instructor, and that's where the magic began to happen. With her excellent Tae Kwon Do pedigree (her master is Grandmaster Leon Preston 8th Dan & 2008 Olympic Referee, his grandmaster is the late Grandmaster Tae Hong Choi 9th Dan of Portland, OR and his grandmaster was Grandmaster Mas Oyama aka Choi Bae-dal. - 10th Dan), Gordon brought K.S. Lee's World Tae Kwon Do from being an unknown NC dojang to one of the best Tae Kwon Do dojangs in the South. With her unique style of teaching, inspiration and true dedication to Tae Kwon Do, she was able to teach some of the premier fighters of Tae Kwon Do. Each year that she taught at K.S. Lee's dojang (1997-2006) her students reached the state, regional, national and international levels of competition. Some of her greatest students are Caleb Bell, Scoot Davis, Stevie Ray Cannada, Kenji Cunnion, Laura Kihlstrom, Charles Greene, Edmond Bailey, Thomas Miller, Shawn Daniel, Mark Brooks, Thuy Le, Nicholas Noschese, Dominique Wright, Yvonne Wright, Darius Wright, Sponge Roane, Picolo Wallace and Alex Venetta. When I was there, these were some of the best fighters in North Carolina.

However, Master Lee sold this dojang to Master Hyun Woo Jung in 2006, and I heard that Instructor Gordon tried giving it the old college try by helping Master Jung's dojang, but it didn't work out. Seems Master Jung had other ideas that didn't seem to match the way a Tae Kwon Do dojang should be run. Anyway, Jung's World Tae Kwon Do (formerly K.S. Lee's World Tae Kwon Do Center) is not the same dojang that Instructor Gordon ran.

Gone are all the great fighters, and real techniques of Tae Kwon Do, and what's left is over priced ($110/month) bullshit lessons of Jung-Fu, where students are tested every month and you can get a black belt in one year. Students play dodge and kick ball to the beat of Korean techno music for the first 30 minutes of class and the other 30 minutes are used to either gloss over unrealistic self-defense techniques (10 minutes) , have his wife teach you (3 or 4 seconds (oh by the way, she has never studied Tae Kwon Do nor does she have any rank, although I hear she is a very nice lady), poomse (10 minutes) and for the other 9.6 minutes be treated rudely by Master Jung. I just found Master Jung's website and WOW! can this guy shovel a load of **** and has a PH.D in it. He now claims to have over 30 years of Tae Kwon Do experience, 29 years of teaching experience, is a USA and internationally rank WTF Referee, oh and he says that he officiated in the Olympic Games.

Well, folks, lets do some math and I've done my research. Jung was 24 years old in 1996, and claimed to be a 7 times World Champion, and now claims to have the above mention credentials. Master Jung is only 37 years old, and can not possibly have 29 years of teaching experience, because that would mean that he was a master at age 8, (bullshit) and as for the 7 times world champion (more ****) he was only a Korean National Champion, and never achieved, fought or won in any World Titles (check all of the World titles on the WTF Kukkiwon webste) and there is no mention of a Hyun Woo Jung listed in any of the Championships. Also, as for the officiating at the Olympic Games (piled higher and deeper), Tae Kwon Do began it Olympic journey as a demonstration sport in 1988 in Seoul Korea (Jung was 16 years old) 1992 Barcelona Spain (Jung was 20 years old), 1996 Tae Kwon Do was not in the Olympics and was being voted on as a full medal sport, 2000 Sydney, Australia (Jung was living and teaching in Boston, Mass) and 2008 Beijing China (Jung was sitting on his ass in his Durham dojang, I know this because I drive by there on my way home from work each day), so how in the world can and when has Master Jung officiated any Olympic Games? So, if you want to waste your money and a whole lot of time enroll at Jung's World Tae Kwon Do and start smelling the ****, because that exactly what he's selling.
    Last edited by taekwondomaster; 11/15/2010 10:54am at .

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/12/2009 1:59pm

Style: taekwondo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    i was also a member of Jung's World Taekwondo when he first returned to Durham. I did not like how he came into to the school which had been running without him and destroyed the teachings. He took the over 100 different self-defense technique's that students learn on their way to a black belt and replaced them with ones he made up on the spot(all five of them). He also undermined and blackballed instructor michelle gordan and her blackbelt assistant instructors in front of students and their parents, so like many of the original 50-60 students i left with now Master Gordan and her instructors

Posted On:
    5/04/2010 8:10pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Tae Kwon Do

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Jung's World Tae Kwon Do Review

Before I start to write my review, I want to correct taekwondomaster ("He now claims to have over 30 years of Tae Kwon Do experience, 29 years of teaching experience.") that in his web site--it was posted as, "29 years of experience," and not as what he claims it to be. Check the site if you'd like to double check. Moving on. My children are students at the Jung's World Tae Kwon Do and they do not take 30 minutes of our class playing dodge ball nor kick ball. His wife does not teach for 3 or 4 seconds of the class. Though, she is very very nice lady. Although, $110 may be a lot, he does teach and his assistants are quite amazing at teaching. By the way, you're point of view is very pessimistic about the do jang. Though, I will critique it in both ways instead of talking/posting/reviewing the place in both point of views.

The class is very energetic and full of life and you can see the enthusiasm in the children. It is very social yet very rigorous when it comes to class. The Do Jang did use to be small, but now it has moved and the size is bigger. Even the equipments are better and new materials have been purchased and added. Safety is one of the major things that he cares about. There's a wide variety of classes including: Demo, Sparring, Family, Kick Boxing, Black Belt Review, Adult and much more! I have been to other Do Jang/ Dojo's before and I would give props to Master Jung's place because the area's quality is in good condition unlike others. If you need a place to put your things in, he has a locker. He also has two separate bathrooms/change rooms for females and males. You need water? He has a water fountain as well as a water disposer. He looks at the cup half full and he expects his students to be the best they can be. Whenever a student fails, he tells them that it's okay and they will do better with more practice. Whenever you practicing he plays energetic music that helps the students to be more alive.

If you live in Durham or anywhere near his Tae Kwon Do Jang is the only Do Jang that is affiliated to the World Tae Kwon Do Federation and you can be certified as a black belt. He also has a very lenient schedule that you can follow as you go with your daily schedules.

On negative notes, he has a pole in the middle, not exactly the middle, but a pole none the less on the side. BUT, because he takes precautions he places you in a safe distance from the pole.

Oh yeah, he has free wifi and a flat screen TV! If you want to take Tae Kwon Do, trust me on this, I strongly recommend Jung's World Tae Kwon Do.

:ninja2::ninja2::ninja2:

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/05/2010 10:20am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Dear [COLOR=#cccccc]crazyTKDartist[/COLO"]crazyTKDartist - Member Profile - Bullshido

First let me state that my comments on the school are most likely from before you got there, so I can understand if the school has changed alittle, but there are still problems I have with it. Now I would argue that he does claim 29 years teaching experience because it's his schools website not anyone else's. he also claims to be a certified ref for the olympic games. This to is not true Master Jung has never refereed at the olympics. He is also not the only WTF certified master in Durham there are at least four others who I can name.

Now as far as your ratings There are two things wrong. The 6 in grappling does not mean you learned some hosinsuls, but means you have actually competed in grappling only tournaments and won. Second the 7 in weapons instruction means you spar with medium contact and full protective gear.

Here's the link on how to properly grade schools:
    Ratings and You - Read This Before Posting Your Review - No BS MMA and Martial Arts

I was at that school when he first arrived and the staments above are an accurate account of the time.

primarily in NC, but travel often to visit family.

Posted On:
    5/06/2010 10:19am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Tae Kwon Do, & Karate

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Jung's World Tae Kwon Do

Dear crazyTKDartist:

This is a response to your recent review of MY rating of Jung's World Tae Kwon Do. In reference to Master Jung's teaching record, it is a direct quote from him, now what he posts on his website is on him. Now, back to your review, first off calling me pessimistic really doesn't bother me. You, however are very new on the scene when it comes to Tae Kwon Do in general, but I must commend you on enrolling your children in the fine art of Tae Kwon do, I wish them many happy years of enjoyment at Jung's until you take them to a real TKD tournament and you find out that they really aren't that good. And you're right about Mrs. Jung, she is indeed a very nice lady, but she still has never trained in Tae Kwon Do and has no business trying to teach it to anyone. The only two things she has in common with Tae Kwon Do is that she is married to a Korean master, and like the art of Tae Kwon Do, she originated from Korea.

As for the class being full of life, that's great, and you will find that with any environment that is full of enthusiast children and their unsuspecting parents that have not truly done their research on the art Tae Kwon Do, dojangs or master pedigree. So, because you seem like a very nice man and father, I will recommend a very good book to get you started. It's called the Idiot's Guide to Tae Kwon Do by Master Karen Eden. In this book, she gives a brief and precise history of the history, styles, early masters etc. of Tae Kwon Do. And yes, I see Jung's has moved to few doors down to what use to be Blockbuster's Video, but it's still the same curriculum that is being taught, his wife is still teaching, and his assistants are all probably under the age of 18, may I add several of his assistants were not originally trained by him. They were probably left over from Master Lee's dojang. In fact, I know the young Korean boy and the two brothers are, because I remember seeing them at Master Lee's, and they were taught by Master Gordon. (Now, if you don't believe me go and ask them).

As for Jung's exciting classes such as Demo, Sparring, Family, Kick Boxing ( um, when did Master Jung find the time to go to Thailand, and learn Mhuy Thai Kick Boxing) Black Belt Club etc. that's a staple at any dojang, it's called marketing and a way to keep students interested and paying for colored uniforms, and equipment they don't need. As for the separate bathrooms for men and women, and the water fountain, um sorry to disappoint you but that's standard too, and Master Jung didn't invent these either. But the addition of a few couches, a 32 inch flat screen TV and some wi-fi, now that's all him! But that's just so the place looks nice. and so parents, guests and others, nonTae Kwon Do participants are focused on cartoons, Facebook or TV shows, so they can't see their children NOT being taught Tae Kwon Do. Oh, and as for looking at the cup as half full (I'm not even going to tell you what of) and his students failing, he's supposed to encourage children to persevere and to try harder with practice.

Finally, I will address this nonsense about Jung's being the only Tae Kwon Do dojang in Durham being affiliated with the World Taekwondo Federation. Do you simply believe this just because Master Jung has a Korean accent and therefore you think he's authentic? I sure hope not for your sake. This is NOT true at all in reference to the WTF dojangs, there are several dojangs in Durham and they are: Elite Martial Arts Center - Master Kenneth Brown, Infuzion Tae Kwon Do - Master Michelle Gordon, United States Taekwondo Institute - Master Nicholas McDonald, and Black Belt World - Master Soo Jin Choi. Although, it is quite difficult to find Kukkiwon certified instructors these days, they can be found if you do your research. P.S. I also agree with koreandragon in reference to the grappling, weapons etc. that Master Jung has you believing he teaches.
    Last edited by taekwondomaster; 5/06/2010 11:50am at .

Valiant Monk of Booze & War

Posted On:
    5/06/2010 12:23pm

supporting memberstaff
     Style: BJJ/C-JKD/KAAALIII!!!!!!!

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    1) Remove all personal diatribes and insults from your reviews.

2) Make sure your reviews are posted according to Bullshido standards.

This goes for everyone.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/06/2010 9:43pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Sorry if I came off as biased, but it was because of his mistreatmeant of the original students that caused me to leave the school.

I'll try to give a better review of my experience with the school. Jung's school does do olympic style sparring and does compete in some local tournaments, so that be a 6 in aliveness. His school has recently moved and he has recently bought some new equipment so I'd say a 7 in gym size and a 7 in equipment. Because I know that some of the junior instructors sometimes run whole classes by themselves I'll give it a 4 for instructor/student ratio eventhough he is there most of the time. Based solely on my encounters with some of his current students and their parents I'd grade the atmosphere a 6 with some genuinely kind and ethusiastic people and some rude and dissrespectful people. For striking instruction I'll give them a 5.5 because they do compete in some local tournaments, but those are very freindly tournaments ( i.e. not very competitive ones. For grappling instructions I'll give them a 3 because I believe thats where one-step sparring and hosinsul self-defence goes, but I could be wrong it might be N/A. Weapons instruction at the school is strictly for demos so they get a 1.

so to recap Jung's Taekwondo earns a...
    6 in Aliveness

7 in Gym Size

7 in Equipment

4 in Instructor/Student Ratio

6 in Atmosphere/Attitude

5.5 in Striking Instruction

N/A - 3 in grappling Instruction (depending on where one-step sparring and hosinsul self-defence go)

1 in Weapons

Hope this is better. I tried to be as unbiased as I could.

Posted On:
    5/06/2010 11:55pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Kenkojuku Karate, Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    You know, $110 a month isn't that much IF the facilities are very nice and the program is actually good. I know it's only BJJ that commands $130+ a month, but anyone with a nice place typically has a high rent.

That being said, I teach at two places in RTP and if you added both monthly tuitions up together you wouldn't get $110. :p
    Last edited by maofas; 5/07/2010 12:01am at .

Posted On:
    6/04/2010 8:43pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Tae Kwon Do

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    To all of you, I did some background research because of the reviews you have given. Yes, Mrs. Jung did teach and I do see your point of view. The Do Jang have been in competitions and I do commend them for doing their best. Sorry for the review and what I have written, I have realized that it was appropriate during the time. Now, I will give a review.

I am not trying to Master Jung look bad, but he doesn't teach as much as he needs to. He leaves his black belts to teach and that's quite unfair. Yes, he does pay them, but it's not enough. I wanted to correct you guys about the weapons. Yes, before it was only for demo but not it is offered to everyone, except for the nunchucks. I have no idea why, but that's where it is. Korean accent that I cannot understand sometimes. Well, I guess I was misinformed because during the black belt testing the man clearly stated that it is one of the places in durham that is affiliated with WTF.

Now, to be unbiased. It is clearly a good school and it can improve. My family and I just moved to Durham therefore I have no idea how good the places here are. Some of the Karate Dojo's are clearly in bad shape and I didn't want to enroll my children there. It makes me wonder if Master Jung knows about this website. Maofas, the facility actually got better, not the best right now but it may improve.

Edit: Well, apparently they needed nunchucks so I checked online how much they were <$3.99> and when I asked how much he is selling it for it was $25.00!!! That's a rip off. So, if you decide to let them join Jung's World TKD, please buy yours online.
    Last edited by crazyTKDartist; 6/18/2010 10:02pm at .

Posted On:
    4/15/2011 12:51pm

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    LOL! Oh my! I LOVE some good fiction as much as the next person but really? Did any of you actually attend Jung's World TKD?? Btw, the thinly veiled advertisement by "master gordon" took it to a whole new level of bullshit! (Wait did I spell gordon right or is it gordan as her supposed student states in the second post? I'm confused.) I mean does anyone really think that the OP wasn't "master gordon"? Man is she pissed about not being in business now or what? Oh wait she didn't tell you that? Yes her "school" is now closed sadly. Though her "school" didn't teach anything specific at all just a hodgepodge of martial art looking stuff. Oh the main business was selling marital art supplies, and her training area was right in the middle. Now I wish I could go see her school to accurately respond but since she doesn't have one it would be hard to do. However Master Jung now has a second school in Morrisville. Gosh I guess the "good" masters just can't stay in biz when the above described crap has two schools now, hmmmmm.... I think the market would tell us if he didn't do an EXCELLENT job!

Now to be fair I am ACTUALLY a current student of Master Jung's, so is my son and son is my daughter. I have been taking for over three years and just recently attained black belt. This is not a belt factory school where belts are just handed out and NEVER has anyone gotten a black belt in a year at Jung's TKD. I am now an instructor and I am very much over 18 years old as are the other black belt instructors. Though I guess if your school doesn't have any its easy to say they shouldn't be teaching....but wait, you DO have to teach in order to attain second degree. All legitimate schools teach this way, its the right way to reinforce instruction through teaching others.

Unlike other posters I would only speak for the time I have been a student, not just 'riding by', but Master Jung's wife has NEVER taught anything in the three years I have been there. She does help with office duties. To be clear Master Jung is GREAT with kids! They love him, and btw we can all understand him just fine. Honestly I'd rather learn from someone who grew up in the culture of Korea and TKD, than someone who hasn't.

As for the monthly fee, fortunately we live in a country where you get to decide for yourself whether $110 per month is a little or a lot to pay for health, fitness, confidence, and martial art training. To me, 100% worth it for me and my family. Its the one sport that my kids actually ask me to go to! And since they and I have never taken any where else it then HAS to be because of Master Jung's instruction. You can attend as many classes as you like per month for that amount, so really not a bad deal IF you plan on training.

Oh and Korean Dragon, "destroyed the teachings"? Ever thought that the teachings you were getting were not from the taekwondo past, so he had to blow up what had been messed up to teach them correctly? I tell ya when I go online to look up moves and forms they look just like what we learn and they are from the teachings of taekwondo. Also talk about what you know, every tournament our school has entered in the three years I have been there we have placed first or second every time, and most of the time the second place is behind one of our own students! If you have a school currently we'd be more than happy to prove that at the next tournament just post your current school name here.

To others reading these posts, skip past all the BS that everyone has laid out here and just go see for yourself. The best way to know a school is to go try it out! Everyone posting here has their own agenda, so don't be swayed by BS. Try ANY school out for a month and see if its for you. If they won't give you a free trial period then that probably answers your questions right there. Also be sure what you are getting, will your black belt be registered with Kukkiwon so you can be a black belt anywhere? Only certain Masters can do this so check and ask if its important to you. Some black belts are only school certification blacks and don't translate to a new school if you have to move.

Lastly to "taekwondomaster" the website said "kick boxing" not Muay Thai (thats how its spelled btw), so if you knew much about martial arts you'd know that those are two different things. To be clear one is a cardio workout and the other is a martial art.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast