Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Featherweight

Posted On:
    6/25/2009 11:10pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Tae Kwon Do

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Underwater Martial Arts training Exercises?

Hello,

I hope I have this in the right section.

I was wondering if doing any type of training using water resistance is good training to strengthen myself for Martial Arts. I am not talking about being completely submerged underwater, just something like running in waist/chest high water or doing kicks and such.

If anyone has tried this, can you please recommend some workouts for me? I mainly want to work on my legs/kicks, but if there is anything for punching, or midsection, I would appreciate it.

The reason I am wondering about underwater, is that it is hot enough now that I can train outdoors. I run now, but I want to add something that can help martial arts with a change in environment.

Also, I am still a beginner, so I do not know many things I can do on my own. If someone can give me some ideas of some training I can do I would appreciate it For example, my side kicks are WEAK! My heal kicks are even weaker still. My turning kicks are ok, just they are way off target. My roundhouse kicks are strong, but I get burned out fast (about 25 kicks).

Posted On:
    6/26/2009 12:25am

Style: FMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Underwater training? If your goal is to look like a retard at the beach or public pool than do underwater/partially submerged kicks all day. WHat you really need is a pulley/counterweight system attached to all of your limbs.

Seriously, Other than that i'd recommend the tried and true method of kick punch repeat x 100. If you want to mix it up hit a bag, focus mitts, or a willing partner. Trying to do techniques in water might change the mechanics of the movement. Sure it might hard to kick and punch or do whatever in the water but it probably won't help you fight any better. Unless you plan on doing a lot of fighting in the water.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    6/26/2009 2:00am

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    It won't help with speed balance or anything?

The pulley makes sense, I just can't afford a gym membership.

About kick/punch x 100 method, you mean, just kick and punch in the air? Should I just do each move 100x or should I do combinations? I am bad at figuring combinations, so if this is the method you mean, can you please give me a couple I can work on and maybe give me an idea of how to do this.

I would love to use pads and focus mitts, but I do not own any. Any good recommendations on pads and focus mits? I have a bag, but this is the environment I want to get away from while I can. I generally workout for about 3 hours and I want to figure out something to do outside other than run. I would like to do some type of MA workout for about an hour. I like to go by the beach, but I would like to kill two birds with one stone and work out at the beach once a week.

I don't care what people think of me, as long as it is something to make me stronger. I don't try to impress people while I work out and I don't mind doing stupid looking workouts. You should see my warmup routine when i do intense running...

Any ideas on extra workouts I can do for my side kicks and heel kicks? They are both pathetically weak. I can jab harder than I can heal kick and I can punch much harder than I can side kick. Would something like maybe bending over and swinging my legs back help?

I also have a question on flexibility. How long does it take to typically get flexible enough to kick high? Right now, I am kicking maybe waist high on everything except front kicks. Also, should I do a stretching routine every day? I found a link to a stretching routine from another topic that I can use. It involves static and Isometric stretches. I don't work out every day, so on days I do not work out, should I still do some type of warm up routine just for stretching? What would be a good routine if I have to do this?

Thanks

I'd like to leave this world like I came into it: Screaming, naked & covered in someone else's blood

Posted On:
    6/26/2009 3:56am

supporting member
     Style: Muay Thai (BJJ hiatus)

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Have you been watching Kickboxer?
    " The reason elite level MMAists don't fight with aikido is the same reason elite level swimmers don't swim with their lips." - Virus

" I shocked him with my skills on the ice becuase Wing Chun is great for hockey fighting." - 'Sifu' Milt Wallace

"Besides, as you might already know (from Virus, for example) - there's only 1 wing chun and it sucks big time" - Tonuzaba

"Even when I'm promising mayhem and butt-chicanery, I'm generally posting with a smile on my face." - Sochin101

"That said, if he blocked my hip on a drop nage, I would extend my leg into a drop tai Otoshi and slam him so hard his parents would die." - MTripp

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/26/2009 10:56am

Style: Boxing/MMA (Ex. Shotokan)

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    If your punches are stronger then your kicks, your leg strength isn't the problem unless you are this guy.

It means you need to work on flexibility and technique, don't worry about strengthing your legs till you can actually make use of that strength. You have TKD listed as your style, well the only thing TKD really does is kick, so I would recommend using your gym to get good stretches and advice on your technique. After that, the bag is the best place to train them. Sorry if your tired of the environment. If it is that big of an issue, you probably just need to take the extra time off so you don't burn out.

Note: Took me a good 2-3 years to kick to the head on tall people, and while I can do it, I would still call it a work in progress. Of course I am naturally very unflexible, and never focused on it, especially early, so you could probably beat that time.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    6/26/2009 1:04pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Kickboxing, swashbuckling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Punching or kicking in the water will probably hurt you more than help you. You'll be training your limbs to move slower and the resistance might make you change the mechanics of the movement and screw up your form. That said, doing lots and lots of squats in the water can be good for strengthening your legs, and swimming in general can be very, very good for conditioning if you do it right.

But really, the most important thing for making your kicks stronger is technique. That means getting your form down cold and practicing, a lot. I used to think that side kicks were worthless. Then I sparred my instructor and he knocked me on my ass 5 times in 2 rounds with them. Turns out, I was just bad at side kicks. I practiced them a ton - in the gym, on the bag at home, just walking around in my house - and before too long I was kicking like a horse.

Posted On:
    6/26/2009 1:48pm

Style: FMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    For the record the pulley system suggestion I made earlier was a bad joke.

As for earlier suggestion of punch kick x100...Yes just at the air. Of course eventually you'll want to hit something for real but if you're new this will help you get the motions down.

Any combination will probably do and you necessarily have to 100. Try setting a timer and seeing how many jab cross rounhouses you can do in 2 or 3 min. While doing this change you rate of speed. IF you tire after doing 5 combos as fast as you can then slow down do 10 more slowly then pick it back up and some fast combos, just keep moving contantly. As far as coming up with combos your mind is the only thing that can limit you. In the jab cross roundhouse example you can kick off either thre front or rear leg and you could switch it up and start with a round then jab cross then another round. Throw in the other kicks you know and you'll have enough variety to keep it interesting.

When I did HKD for my obligatory year. They gave us all kinds of fancy pick-up-your-jeg and do several kick combos. LIke roundhouse to side kick off the same leg(front or back leg) without putting the leg down. OR lead leg inside to outside crescent then follow with rear leg outside to inside crescent. These are few examples, I figure a TKD school would be full of this kind of stuff. If not that may be a good thing. PRacticing multiple kicks without putting you leg down really seems impractical. BUt it did help with my leg strength and controll. I kicked way better then (well ,they looked better and I was more flexible) now I don't train that way but I kick a lot harder for most kicks. Still I think it helped.

AS for good focus mitts, I have a pair of ringside mitts I bought used at a "Play it Again Sports". They still work great, but if you hit them hard enough stuff flies out of them. I've had em for like 6 years who knows how old they really are. I saw some UFC mitts at Sports Authority that looked shitty they were so damn light I could imagine them tearing up real fast.

MADE OF STEEL!

Posted On:
    6/26/2009 2:55pm

supporting member
     Style: MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    If you're having trouble with kicks, it may also be a result of your hip abductor being weak. If you don't have a gym membership, then get a resistance band. If you can't afford a resistance band, go to a bicycle shop, get an old tire that they were going to throw away, and make one.
    Then do some **** that looks like this: http://www.momsteam.com/files/images/Hip_abductor_2.jpg
    My advice regarding any sort of striking training should be taken with a grain or two of salt, as I've only done krotty and hit like a little girl. But stronger hip abductors meant is was easier for me to hold my leg up, and that made it a whole lot easier to kicks people.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/26/2009 5:48pm

Style: Judo / Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I've found working out in the water helps balance ALOT.

If you do a kick or punch or what-have-you in the water the opposing force of the water will actually unbalance you really fast. It helps your balance alot. You'll really feel a burning in balancing muscles after doing a few simplistic exercises like this as soon as you get out of the pool. When you get out, you're like "whoah I feel like spaghetti now" as you realize all of those muscles you don't normally use just got exercised in keeping your balance.

As for anything else it probably won't help that much. Just treading water is extremely good exercise though and helps your core alot too.

I'd suggest doing some simplistic exercises in the water to aid balance and then tread water for a nice little "fun" workout that'll be different than your normal martial training.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    6/26/2009 10:54pm

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Awesome! Thanks for all the tips! I will make use of everything said so far.

I think I will try doing the squats/running/swimming in the water. I don't go in the water enough anyway, plus I get to wear my G-String swimming trunks :P

Yeah, my flexibility is way off. I just realized when doing some stretches, that I cannot sit up straight with my legs flat meaning that my hamstrings are stiff as hell! I am amazed I can't get a 90 degree angle because I can front kick pretty high, I guess it has to do with momentum though.

Luckily I do have some resistance bands. Would changing the angle work on that as well? For instance instead of going straight to the side, angling it back a bit to target the rear muscles more? Of course I would still do the regular one in the photo.

I am also going to start a good squat routine. I can do a lot of squats, but I do not do them often enough. Maybe I can work up to 500 a night or something. I think my punching vs kicking power is that I use my arms a lot more than my legs so the leg movements are awkward. I have to use them more every day I guess.

Thanks
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast