Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/09/2009 7:16am

Style: Muay Thai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Noob question about good guns

I am wondering, what's a good gun for a beginner like me who is looking to just get used to guns, targeting, etc? It would obviously also be used for self-defense. I can research like the next guy, so I'm looking for personal experience here.

Merry Christmas! shitter's full...

Posted On:
    6/09/2009 8:32am

supporting member
     Style: BJJ/Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    for a rifle, ruger 10/22. for a handgun, go for a ruger mark 3.

both guns will last you a lifetime and give you everything you need to know about using pretty much any firearm you come across.

EDIT: for home defense, nothing beats a 12 gauge shotgun. for personal defense, .38, 9 mm, or s&w .40 are all good rounds. however, before you buy any handgun for carry, make sure you get outstanding instruction first.
    Last edited by omoplatypus; 6/09/2009 8:35am at .
    --------

Quote Originally Posted by it is fake View Post
    yeah, normally i'd get a quote, but couldn't be bothered.

Posted On:
    6/09/2009 3:46pm

Style: 9mm/Judo/BJJ/MT

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    For a self defense handgun, I would take a Glock anyday. Many people hate them because they look like a brick and are made up of a lot of plastics, but it is by far the most durable and reliable handgun you can get that isn't a revolver. The full sized models, i.e. the Glock 17, 21, and 22, are very accurate to a trained shooter. There are many myths about Glocks being inaccurate which are totally ridiculous. I'd take one any day, and am actually selling off all of my other pistols other than my Glock 23 right now.

For rifles, an AK or SKS can be a very affordable, accurate, and fun route. Ammo is plentiful, and the rifles are 2 of the mose durable and reliable pieces of machinery on the planet which nobody can deny.

For shotguns, I like the Winchester Speed Pump, Remington 700, Mossberg 590, any Benelli, and my personal favorite is the Saiga 12 which is an AK version of a 12 gauge shotgun (cheap, automatic, and just plain badass!)

The trend in my preferences is pretty simple: I like the stuff thats cheap, can take a beating, and is accurate without the need for any extra work.

If you wanted to know about weapons that are good for showing off to people, you'd get a totally different post :P But those I mentioned are all great choices for any beginner.

Also, what White Kimbo said about the Rugers is very good advice, but neither weapon is great for self defense. They are cheap, and for target shooting they work great, but they don't have the power needed to be good for carry or home defense. What he mentioned about 12 gauge is dead on. As for defensive handgun rounds, there are millions of debates about 9mm, .40, .45, .357, and 10mm, but they all work great in the long run. I'm a fan of .40 and .357, and .45 if its a 1911.

EDIT: Upon rereading my post, it is very unorganized. Feel free to stop reading after the 3rd paragraph where the ranting begins.
    "Intelligence is nothing more than discussing things with others. Limitless wisdom comes of this." - 山本 常朝

...is THE PENETRATOR

Posted On:
    6/09/2009 6:24pm

supporting member
     Style: German longsword, .45 ACP

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    1911 is the true way of the Jedi.
    Best Vietnam War music video I've ever seen put together by a vet: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oDY8raKsdfg

Posted On:
    6/09/2009 10:34pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Wounded Ronin View Post
    1911 is the true way of the Jedi.
    My last .45 is for sale if you drop by the phoenix area. Hell of a combat piece, springfield armory champion with barrel bushing configuration and a hell of a lot of custom work.
    "Intelligence is nothing more than discussing things with others. Limitless wisdom comes of this." - 山本 常朝

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/09/2009 11:48pm

Style: Muay Thai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    OK, I'm going to ask a few people I know in person as well, but I'm probably gonna go with the glock since you suggested it (and I've always liked them despite not knowing much about guns at all).

So, what's the best way to go about getting GOOD instruction? I live in Orlando, FL (my zip specifically is 32817)--of course, it's likely you can only give me guidelines.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/10/2009 1:30am

Style: MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Hey JanusMagus,

I'm a Glock guy all the way, and going with a Glock is a great choice. I would look at the G19, as it is a good size. Its not to big, and not too small, it's just about right. If you want a good way to shoot your Glock, and not spend a lot of money, is to get a .22 conversion kit for it. I got one from Advantage Arms, and I love it. Its easy to use, as you just switch the slides, and your off and shooting. It will pay for its self soon after you buy it. The best part is, the trigger is the same, so you will get plenty of trigger time, and trigger manipulation is one of the most important aspects of marksmanship.

As for training, just call around to the local gun clubs, and I'm sure someone will have an idea where to go. Also, check out the NRA, as they have lots of training resources. If all else fails, get a good video and watch it over and over. Clint Smith of Thunder Ranch has some good ones, and thats an okay way to go. The main thing is, get out and shoot.

Have fun, and stay safe!

Posted On:
    6/10/2009 1:45am

hall of famestaff

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    If you are considering a 12 gauge shotgun for home defense fire one first. They have a healthy kick. If you can't handle the recoil, buy a 20 gauge instead. The 20 gauge is smaller, but still more lethal then almost every pistol.

Posted On:
    6/10/2009 3:48am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by DepGW View Post
    Hey JanusMagus,

I'm a Glock guy all the way, and going with a Glock is a great choice. I would look at the G19, as it is a good size. Its not to big, and not too small, it's just about right. If you want a good way to shoot your Glock, and not spend a lot of money, is to get a .22 conversion kit for it. I got one from Advantage Arms, and I love it. Its easy to use, as you just switch the slides, and your off and shooting. It will pay for its self soon after you buy it. The best part is, the trigger is the same, so you will get plenty of trigger time, and trigger manipulation is one of the most important aspects of marksmanship.

As for training, just call around to the local gun clubs, and I'm sure someone will have an idea where to go. Also, check out the NRA, as they have lots of training resources. If all else fails, get a good video and watch it over and over. Clint Smith of Thunder Ranch has some good ones, and thats an okay way to go. The main thing is, get out and shoot.

Have fun, and stay safe!
    +1 on the Glock 19. I have a Glock 23 which is actually the exact same pistol in a .40 caliber instead of 9mm. Either round is a great choice and the piece fits like a glove. The Glocks in .45 are a bit bigger, so only splurge on one if you have chunky hands.

As for instruction, its hard to say. Just like finding a good martial arts school, it can also be hard finding a good place to learn proper gun practice, and can be a lot less forgiving to those who don't find good instructors in gun safety. If it were me starting off as a new shooter, I'd want to start by reading Jeff Cooper's gun safety laws and taking them to heart first, then talking to some more experienced shooters in my specific location to see who they would suggest for lessons in proper gun handling.

Merry Christmas! shitter's full...

Posted On:
    6/10/2009 6:59am

supporting member
     Style: BJJ/Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    if i were doing it all over again, i would get a glock 23 and a remington 870. the 870 leaves all the room you want for being a tactifag, and i'm a big fan of the .40 round.

as far as finding instruction goes, look up the shooting clubs and gun stores in your area and visit all of them and ask about gun safety and carry classes. also, call up your local sheriffs office or highway patrol station and see if they have civilian classes.
    --------

Quote Originally Posted by it is fake View Post
    yeah, normally i'd get a quote, but couldn't be bothered.
Page 1 of 8 1 2345 ... LastLast