Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/11/2009 7:54pm

Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Weight gain questions

Hey all. So having just competed at nationals on the weekend, I weighed in at 79kg. Now I fight in under 81kg division, so there is a bit of room to gain weight. I got on the body fat scales at the gym and they said I was at 8.7% body fat. Now I don't know how correct that is, but I know there is a kilo or 2 on my stomach that can be gotten rid of. So that leaves me with maybe 4kg I could gain if I can get rid of that fat.

I believe I read here once that 1kg of bodyweight = roughly 7000 cals, is that correct? So assuming no physical exercise, to put on 4kg in 2 months I'd need to eat an extra 500 cals per week. Here's the kicker, my style fields say boxing and judo - both very high cardio activities. I am also on the stronglifts program (squatting 15kg over my bodyweight right now) and do tabata intervals on off days from weights. So since there aren't exactly calorie counters for stuff like tabata's, do I just go nuts and eat like crazy afterwards? For a tabata workout I usually do 8 minutes, take a 2 minute rest then do 16 minutes, then I jump straight on a treadmill and do 10mins at 12km/h (working up to 14). Would anyone like to hazard a guess at how much I need to eat to replace what I spent?
    BTW - cutting down cardio not really an option here. I'm more than happy to eat more to equalise it.

So diet. Right now I eat a very high protein diet, probably 40-50%, with carbs and fats spread pretty even down the middle for the rest. Should I vary the percentage of my intake (ie just gorge on carbs after cardio) or keep it the same?

Now with all this, when I actually do gain weight, what am I looking at gaining? Will it be all muscle? Mostly muscle and some fat? Half fat half muscle? A friend of mine who's big into weight recommended I try to gain whatever I need to gain and then take a fat stripping supplement to cut down. I don't know much about these supplements, what are your opinions of them? I heard hydroxycut got taken off the market because people died from it.

So, thanks for reading all the way, any help is much appreciated.

is badder than you

Posted On:
    6/11/2009 8:45pm

Join us... or die
     Style: None

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Yamaarashi View Post
    I believe I read here once that 1kg of bodyweight = roughly 7000 cals, is that correct?
    1kg of body fat is roughly 9000kcal when converted to water and carbon dioxide at perfect efficiency.

If there's a well-defined conversion factor between caloric intake and muscle growth, I haven't heard about it.

Edit: Finally found the stat I was looking for. According to Survival Of The Fattest, muscle tissue has a maintenance caloric requirement of 17 kcal per kilo of tissue per day.

Now with all this, when I actually do gain weight, what am I looking at gaining? Will it be all muscle? Mostly muscle and some fat? Half fat half muscle?
    That's the question, isn't it. My short answer is "try it and find out". If anyone else here has a better one, I'd sincerely like to hear it.

I heard hydroxycut got taken off the market because people died from it.
    FDA announces recall of diet pill Hydroxycut - No BS Martial Arts
    Last edited by TheRuss; 6/11/2009 9:02pm at .
    Quote Originally Posted by Emevas View Post
    Downstreet on the flip-flop, timepants.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/11/2009 9:35pm

Style: boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Id eat as much as possible if I were in your situation ... at least 1 g of protein per lb bodyweight (this is controversial but it works for me) and a lot of other whole foods after that ... buy a good set of electronic calipers and track your body fat that will give you a good idea of how much fat vs muscle you are gaining. I wouldnt waste money on supplements ... other than some whey to top off protein intake as needed (not as your main source of protein though)
    Last edited by muddy; 6/11/2009 9:51pm at .

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/11/2009 9:52pm

Style: MT noob

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by muddy View Post
    Id eat as much as possible if I were in your situation ... at least 1 g of protein per lb bodyweight (this is controversial but it works for me) and a lot of whole foods after that ... buy a good set of electronic calipers and track your body fat that will give you a good idea of how much fat vs muscle you are gaining. I wouldnt waste money on supplements ... other than some whey to top off protein intake as needed (not as your main source of protein though)
    he says he already eats a high protein diet, so I would assume he is already eating 1:1 if not more. imo 1:1 is not enough, i weigh 145lbs and i eat 63g fat, 314g carb 320g protein a day to reach my 3200 calorie goal.

if i keep my protein at 1:1 without incraesing fat, means ill have to eat 489 carbs just to hit my goal... thats ALOT of carbs lol

is badder than you

Posted On:
    6/11/2009 9:55pm

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Onr3e View Post
    if i keep my protein at 1:1 without incraesing fat, means ill have to eat 489 carbs just to hit my goal... thats ALOT of carbs lol
    Or you could increase fat.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/11/2009 9:58pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by TheRuss View Post
    Or you could increase fat.
    I could.. but I was eating something around 150g of fat a day and now I have a pot belly and 3% more body fat to show for it. now im just playing with what im eating until i get a good balance and i start losing the spare tyre...

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/11/2009 10:01pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    he says he already eats a high protein diet, so I would assume he is already eating 1:1 if not more. imo 1:1 is not enough, i weigh 145lbs and i eat 63g fat, 314g carb 320g protein a day to reach my 3200 calorie goal.

Carbs and protein are the same calories per gram (4). My personal opinion (for myself - I do realize this is a controversial topic) is that anything over 1:1 protein is just extra calories (not bad in the case of the owner of this thread). But I start getting some serious issues with the pipes when I get too carried away with the protein so it doesnt make sense for extra calories for me. Different things work for different folks though.
    Last edited by muddy; 6/11/2009 10:04pm at .

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/11/2009 10:05pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by muddy View Post
    Carbs and protein are the same calories per gram (4). My personal opinion (for myself - I do realize this is a controversial topic) is that anything over 1:1 protein is just extra calories (not bad in the case of the owner of this thread). But I start getting some serious issues with the pipes when I get too carried away with the protein. Different things work for different folks though.
    would you recommend increasing carbs over protein then? what would your recommendation of max intake for fat? mine is only at 63 which I am assuming is quite low. to reach a goal of 3200 with a limit of 145g of protein means ill have to either seriously ramp up the carb intake or ramp up the fat, and I don't want to ramp up the fat...

There's too much back and forth with protein... half the people recommend as much as u can and the other half recommend 1:1 and then there are some who recommend high carb.. meh

i have similar goals with the OP, im trying to gain from 65.5~ to about 69 but im plateauing at 65.5 after going from 59 to 65.5, i also gained about 3% fat in the process so if I cut that off, I'll be even further off from my weight goal

i also do alot of cardio and also a 5x5 workout, same as the OP (but stopped the 5x5 for now, just 4x a week 1hr sessions of MT)
    Last edited by Onr3e; 6/11/2009 10:08pm at .

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/11/2009 10:10pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    would you recommend increasing carbs over protein then? what would your recommendation of max intake for fat? mine is only at 63 which I am assuming is quite low. to reach a goal of 3200 with a limit of 145g of protein means ill have to either seriously ramp up the carb intake or ramp up the fat, and I don't want to ramp up the fat...

There's too much back and forth with protein... half the people recommend as much as u can and the other half recommend 1:1 and then there are some who recommend high carb.. meh
    The only fat I pay attention to is saturated fat. I try to keep that as low as I can. I do a pretty good job of keeping it under 20g / day on the average. I eat almost exclusively whole foods (meat, oats, lentils, veggies, etc) and let the fat/carb ratio fall where it falls.
    Last edited by muddy; 6/11/2009 10:22pm at .

is badder than you

Posted On:
    6/11/2009 10:44pm

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I could.. but I was eating something around 150g of fat a day and now I have a pot belly and 3% more body fat to show for it.
    As opposed to 63g fat, with no other change in diet? Because that's a difference of about 800 kcal/day.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast