Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/12/2009 4:01am

Style: diet

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    you need rest. one day wont let your body heal the way you need it too. why are you training so much? more != better.

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    6/12/2009 4:23am

supporting member
     Style: BJJ, MT, Yoga

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Well dude is banned, but since to me this is an interesting topic.

I think it is important to know when you can and cannot keep going. I always encourage people in bjj who want to quit to keep going through class but with less intensity. Some times muscle soreness and lack of cardio needs a little push. There is always a point when you are sore and keep going, but i think deep down most of us know when it is a bad idea to press on. And without a proper coach/doctor/equivalent present, it is usually a good idea to listen to that deep down voice. Unless you are training for a competition where the immediate training will matter, you will generally have plenty of time to make up the day or two you miss.

You can train if your sore...not if your broken.

When I last broke my hand in March, I should have taken the normal course of 3 weeks off, two weeks no rolling, one week light rolling. I didn't, and my hand is still sore. That was being stupid.
    There is no cheating, there is only jiu-jitsu.

How do elenchus?

Posted On:
    6/12/2009 8:05am

Style: gah, transition again

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Soreness, as I understand it, isn't really completely understood. Usually its explained as microtears, but if microtears exist on the muscle tissue then its ability to exert force would be impinged and subsequent training at full volume would be impossible. Other reasons I guess could include lactic acid 'damage', or neurological growth/response.
    Lord Krishna said: I am terrible time the destroyer of all beings in all worlds, engaged to destroy all beings in this world; Of those heroic soldiers presently situated in the opposing army, even without you none will be spared.
    Bhagavad Gita 11:32

I'd like to leave this world like I came into it: Screaming, naked & covered in someone else's blood

Posted On:
    6/16/2009 6:43am

supporting member
     Style: Muay Thai (BJJ hiatus)

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    What damage would Lactic Acid do? It's a natural side effect of anaerobic metabolism
    " The reason elite level MMAists don't fight with aikido is the same reason elite level swimmers don't swim with their lips." - Virus

" I shocked him with my skills on the ice becuase Wing Chun is great for hockey fighting." - 'Sifu' Milt Wallace

"Besides, as you might already know (from Virus, for example) - there's only 1 wing chun and it sucks big time" - Tonuzaba

"Even when I'm promising mayhem and butt-chicanery, I'm generally posting with a smile on my face." - Sochin101

"That said, if he blocked my hip on a drop nage, I would extend my leg into a drop tai Otoshi and slam him so hard his parents would die." - MTripp

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/16/2009 10:16am

Style: BJJ, MT

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    You just gonna know what type of soreness your dealing with. If it's the normal muscle soreness I'll just work through it. Usually the soreness actually feels better after the workout. If you start feeling sharp pain, then stop. If you notice swelling it's best not to bother. Certain parts of my body used to get sore for almost 5 days (legs mostly and lower back) when I first started out, but your conditioning gets better.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12