Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/07/2009 10:12am

Style: slackerjitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Well handled.

Is the ex going to be criminally charged?

Infidel

Posted On:
    6/07/2009 10:56am

Style: Yoshinkan Aikido, MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Right from the start I knew I fucked up. The police agreed it was a good idea, trying to remove a firearm from a bad situation but I went about it the wrong way.

I realized how bad it looked to the police. They get a domestic call that someone just home from overseas has PTSD and freaking out (This after a few weeks prior there IS a standoff). Call my name up and I have a bunch of guns. They pull me over and theres a .45 without a transport permit, I have an open 26 of whiskey (half full) and I'm heading in the direction of my ex's house (who lives near my parents).
    Other saving factors included me not having alcohol in my system, me not having any ammunition with me (I almost did) and probably having the handgun in a locked case.

My first instinct when they cut me off was to ram the side of their cruiser with my V8 Suv but I didn't. Because of the situation they could have did a pistol's drawn arrest (I still think one did even though they said they didn't) but they choose not to.

I guess I kinda put the hairs up on the back of their neck, when they pulled me over stopped my truck shut it off put the keys on the dash turned the cab lights on and put my hands on the tp of the steering wheel. In my mind I was trying to put the cops at ease but I guess their not used to the average person behaving like that so it put them on guard even more.

Thewere just a few minutes away from calling me on a cell phone and asking me to leave my house and go talk with them (They wanted to avoid a stand off situation). I wish I would have waiteda few minutes and did that lol.

Afterwards some of their police sgt's and swat dudes were at my work training, one recognized my last name came up put his hand on my shoulder and asked me how I was. I know cops need to act concerned over people as a part of their job but these guys were seriously concerned for me, both during the traffic stop and afterwards.

I realize some people have issues with police, some of them rightly so, but there are some great cops outhere too. My life could have been totally fucked up because of a spiteful ex (and my very poor judgement). Aresting officer put his neck on the chopping block by not charging me and recomending I get my stuff back. If I **** up and get in **** with my fireams now, then a lot of heat is coming down on his head, he doesn't know me and has no reason to trust me.

My ex can't be charged, can't disprve that she didn't really feel threatened or like I was going to hurt myself. A few days after she was calling me asking when I could take my daughter and to borrow money :)

The lawyer I called afterwards (incase I was being charged initially) freaked and said NEVER talk to the police, give them the silent treatment police aren't my friend etc..
    Theres probably some very good logic in that, depending, but in my case I manned up, said from the start I fucked up, co-operated and didnt blame anyone else or take it out on the police. Worked out pretty well for me.

Glad I'm back too :)
    Not the home coming I was hoping for but a decent eye opener. Despite everything I was told if I want a change of pace I'd be welcomed on the police force and would likely be invited to the swat team in a couple years because of my physical fitness level and training. Talk about predatory recruiting practices!

Pics to follow of the troublesome .45 that hasn't even been fired yet.
    You are not free whose liberty is won by the rigour of other, more righteous souls. Your are merely protected. Your freedom is parasitic, you suck the honourable man dry and offer nothing in return. You who have enjoyed freedom, who have done nothing to earn it

Posted On:
    6/07/2009 10:59am

hall of famestaff

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I have never seen anyone talk themself out of a legal hole that deep. But again I do not know the laws of Canada. I am sorry things have gone to hell with your wife. My recommendation is to divorce her after she pulled that stunt.

...is THE PENETRATOR

Posted On:
    6/07/2009 12:00pm

supporting member
     Style: German longsword, .45 ACP

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I guess the real moral of the story is not to get romantically involved with anyone for fear that they manipulate the police on you.
    “nobody shoots anybody in the face unless you’re a hit man or a video gamer.” - Jack Thompson
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jack_Th...%28attorney%29

Posted On:
    6/07/2009 12:40pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Finding You

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I'm confused about something: How did your ex know your wife was going to recommend such a course of action?

That said, you played it smart with the police. Don't get mad; get the win. Well done, and a plague upon your ex.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    6/07/2009 1:02pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Various Arts

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I was raised when your confronted by the cops it's always....

"Yes sir,"

"No sir"

" two bags full"

COurse on the other hand pops also always said, "YOu don't tell them **** even if you did it. Make em' prove it. And you never, ever lie to your lawyer." Kind of a contradiction I think. But it depends on your situation. There are good cops out there, and you handled yourself perfectlly, and earned some respect, and brownie points with the boys in blue. Good job. Nice to hear stories like that, makes you have a little more faith in those that are charged with our protection.

Yours truly

Posted On:
    6/07/2009 2:17pm

Business Class Supporting Member
     PDS Rifles Style: Univ. Florida Kickboxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Can you tell us if police were in any violation of civil procedures while their search? Is your ex calling in enough probable cause to search your car? could you have chosen to not tell them anything about whats in your car?

I agree with you that its always best to be respectful, whether you like them or not. Its also best to know your rights and when to give or not give information, and ask for representation. in FL, USA there is a very good book relating to firearms law that I recommend everyone reading, written by a criminal defense attorney. I would see if there is a similar publication in your area.

1% Shark is better than you.

Posted On:
    6/07/2009 4:00pm

supporting memberforum leaderstaff
     Style: BJJ/Shidokan

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Florida is a long long way from Canada.

Posted On:
    6/07/2009 4:22pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Aikido,Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Way too close of a call. Glad it worked out for you. There is nothing meaner than someone who used to "love" you.

Posted On:
    6/07/2009 4:39pm

Business Class Supporting Memberstaff
     Guy Who Pays the Bills and Gets the Death Threats Style: MMA (Retired)

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Thanks for serving as a good example of firearms owners.
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12 345 LastLast