Infidel

Posted On:
    6/06/2009 11:15pm

Style: Yoshinkan Aikido, MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Had all my guns taken away

Police took all my guns.
    [In Canada getting caught with a handgun and no transport permit would be like getting caught in a football stadium in Texas burning a flag and screaming that Americans SHOULDN'T be allowed the right to bear arms.]

Basic story- My ex and I get into a fight over custody. I leave and come home.

My wife after being told about the fight reminds me that my handgun, while in 3 pieces each locked away, isn't in a gun vault. I'm not exactly sure the rules on storing firearms. She suggests I take the pistol and lock it up at my fathers incase my ex shows up at my place or the police come. I don't have a licence to transport it (it was in the mail) BUT I choose to move it anyways. She tells me to bring the ammo and I (wisely) refuse.
    So I throw the pistol into my backpack in the back of my truck and head out to lock the pistol up at my fathers place.
    2 blocks away from my house 4 cop cars are idleing. As I drive past they start to follow me.
    Ambush. I know I'm done.
    [My ex being female and skilled in the arts of manipulation, she makes a first strike move. As I'm leaving her place she calls the police.
    My ex boyfriend just got back from Afghanistan he has PTSD and has bad nightmares. He has a bunch of guns, I'm afraid of him hurting himself. He was here and went crazy]

So after following me a bit they roar up on me and block me with their cars. Lights in the eyes all that stuff. A very nice police officer approaches me, tells me they had a call about someone being worried over my saftey and asks if theres any weapons in the truck.
    "YUP!" I reply. "I have a .45 pistol in my backpack,it's registered but I don't have a permit for it"
    "Haha, Oh are you serious grant? Get out of the car!" etc..
    I'm put in the back of a cop car handcuffed. Cops ask me if I was drinking, I say no, then thy pull a half a 26 of Whiskey out of my gym bag (which also contained my .45 and 5 mags).
    I start to laugh and say "Yea man this is just like cops, I'm sure that looks pretty fuckin bad! The booze was from a bonfire thother night I never took it out"
    I explained that I got in an argument and I wanted the handgun out of the house. Good plan, poorly executed.

I'm embarassed to hell,one of the cops is my old TKD instructor. I get brought to the hospital under the mental health act and speak to a bunch of people. More embarassment, one of the mental health dudes is an old Aikido training partner of mine.
    Oh did I mention my wife works at the hospital and they recognized her when she came to see me, handcuffed surrounded by cops.
    [When the cops said they were calling my wife to get my truck after I was arrested I said no, don't, leave the truck I'll pay for the tow truck. No luck)

I get released from the hospital after they realized my ex was just being spiteful and making that **** up. I did however break the law and transport my handgun without permit. Just to be on the safe side the police also confiscate over a dozen rifles and shotguns.

For a first time gun control related law beaking such as mine max penalty is 6 months in prison and $2000 fine.

So then I wasn't sure if I was going to get charged, loose my firearms licence forever, if my weapons would be returned or not.

Here's the thing.
    Throughout the whole ordeal of being arrested I was 100 respectful and compliant. Yes sir, no sir. Here's exactly what happened sir, yea i realized i fucked up and **** the bed. I realize how bad this looks guys thats why I'm laughing. Hey I know you're just doing your job it's all good man. The police in turn were ultra respectful to me, friendly and seemed genuinely concerned about me. They had a few issues with a buddy of mine coming home. Ended with a swat standoff, some bayonetes being thrown around and **** like that. Guy freaked out, swat almost lit him up.

Afterwards I guess during debreifs the police involved were shocked over how respectful and compliant I was, they thought it was almost a trick. (Like when someone says I dont wanna fight man a second before they swing at you)
    They discussed the huge difference between the first issue and mine. Guess they appreciated not getting calld fucking pigs or being threatened with loosing their job.

The police actually went out of their way to help me.
    They had the authority to charge me but choose not to. Why? Because of how respectful I was.
    They also put it a good word for me which smoothed things over with my boss.
    Lastly I could have perminately had my guns and licence taken away through a dfferent (firearm guncontrol) organization (which is the norm) but once again the police went to bat for me, put in a good word and helped me out.

I just got all my stuff back (against all odds) and I'm looking to pick up a P99 and AR10. I owe a lot to the police, they saved my ass. I think some probably had to do with a clean record and military service but I think the biggest factor was my attitude and not feeding them bullshit.
    You are not free whose liberty is won by the rigour of other, more righteous souls. Your are merely protected. Your freedom is parasitic, you suck the honourable man dry and offer nothing in return. You who have enjoyed freedom, who have done nothing to earn it

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    6/06/2009 11:25pm

supporting member
     Style: judo hiatus

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Good for you GS.

A show of respect and honesty with LEOs goes a long way.

Glad you're home.

...is THE PENETRATOR

Posted On:
    6/06/2009 11:30pm

supporting member
     Style: German longsword, .45 ACP

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Thank you for sharing this experience with us. It's a good lesson for everyone about how to interact with the police.
    “nobody shoots anybody in the face unless you’re a hit man or a video gamer.” - Jack Thompson
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jack_Th...%28attorney%29

Senior Administrator

Posted On:
    6/07/2009 1:26am

staff
     Style: JKD, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I concur. They were following procedure by taking you to the hospital, because your crazy ex said you were trying to hurt yourself. They have to do that, not because they want to **** with you and humiliate you.

Your reaction was perfect and will be reflected in their reports: that you reacted to a bad situation calmly and respectfully, and that the accusation was clearly unfounded.

My respect for your self-control.
    Monkey Ninjas! Attack!

Graviora Manent

Posted On:
    6/07/2009 2:52am

Join us... or die
     Style: No gym currently.

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Aikido wins again? ;-)
    Nicely handled.

1] Great write up. There's a lesson there for everyone (even TheLordHumongus & Kracker).
    2] Awesome you're back in one piece. When are you going back?
    3] Gun pics plz. Then the warm fuzzy feeling will be complete.
    Where there is only a choice between cowardice and violence, I would advise violence.

Gandhi

Titanium laced beauty

Posted On:
    6/07/2009 3:10am

supporting memberforum leaderstaff
     Style: BJJ, wrestling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Self control for the win. Well done GS.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/07/2009 4:03am

Style: Freestyle

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    In the United States, one thing that helps me is NOT talking to the police.

Posted On:
    6/07/2009 6:23am

Join us... or die
     Style: 柔道

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

...has all your Jing.

Posted On:
    6/07/2009 7:38am

Style: Judo, baby! Yeah!

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Smoothly handled Sir...!!
    "So, yeah, Zen teachers may well insult you, work you to the bone, hit you with sticks, shout verbal abuse at you, and punch the **** out of you.
    And when the ****'s been punched out of you, you might just find that you're far better-off without it." - Vieux Normand

"So in short, BJJ wins again. BJJ, and chainmail." - TheMightyMcClaw

"On bullshido, your opinions are not sacred, neither are your feelings." - Scrapper

"You entered the lions' den. Don't bitch if you get eaten." - danniboi07

"Needless to say, it's much easier to clear a bunch of drunk kids out of your house when you're yelling GTFO and carrying a samurai sword." - DerAuslander

"Eventually, I realized it doesn't matter what art you train, what matters is the method in which you train. Training in an alive manner, under skilled and qualified instruction, is the single most important aspect of gaining martial skill. All else is window dressing." - JNP : Saying it how it is!

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/07/2009 9:04am

Style: Kyokushin

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Congrats! You handled that perfectly. Grace under fire, so to speak.
Page 1 of 5 1 2345 LastLast