Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ... 678910 11 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Posted On:
    6/23/2009 10:39am

Join us... or die
     Style: 血鷲

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I came upon this thread by punching "ringworm" into the search engine.

I've been at a bit of a crossroads in my own training, now that I may have time to start formal training again. Either way, going to be something different than anything I've done. Curiosity piqued by recent performances by Machida, I was going to see if there was some decent atypical hard-training full-contact Shotokan in the city where I work (and I found what appears to be one such place)...or go with BJJ at another nearby place (they do both gi and no-gi).

Having long been intrigued by the complexities of BJJ (far more involved than the relatively-simple newaza I've trained in another MA) I was looking forward to that. Having been also fascinated by somebody fighting from a Shotokan distance (from a starting position much farther, from the adversary, than I'm used to fighting) and still managing to KO opponents, I was also looking forward to checking that out.

This whole ringworm/herpes gladiatoralis/impetigo thing swung the balance. I am really mystified at the prevalence of these conditions in so many gyms on this continent. I never brought any of these home to my wife after a lot of pretty hard-sweating Judo/Kudo sessions in Japan--even though the former was done on tatami mats that one would think would be a breeding-ground for fungi and gods know what else. Strict hygiene was the norm (they are nazis about that sort of thing in Japan, as anyone who's been there will attest), and EVERYONE, regardless of rank, took part in soji (thorough mat-cleaning) after each and every practice.

I have only recently learned that not everyone takes part in the mat-cleaning in many (most?) gyms elsewhere: it's left to only one or a few people. What a recipe for fucking disaster. If you're one of many people doing cleanup, and you get one or two mats to clean, then are you more--or less--likely to do a thorough job if it than some n00b who's left to do all the mats by himself? Basic common sense.

I'm also confused by accounts, all over the web, of guys who claim to take all the proper precautions--and still end up with skin conditions. What the ****? Others are wiping antifungal chemicals all over themselves on a regular basis, regardless of their conditions or lack thereof. How healthy is that in the long term, given some of the chemicals involved? Others on the web swear by things like a yogurt-heavy diet as a preventative. Seriously.

As for those who don't clean self and gear as they should, sure, most of the time, these diseases are more contagious nuisances than anything else (fine if one doesn't have a wife or other intimate partner)...but they sometimes end up seriously affecting other surfaces such as the eyes, or become so drug-resistant that they require potentially liver-damaging oral treatments. All this because either some idiot won't practise basic precautions, or because one person in a gym has contracted something which remains asymptomatic (but contagious) for days before becoming visible.

Well, since I don't live alone (and the space we share isn't the biggest), I decided it was only fair to discuss this with my wife. She also wondered why these skin conditions didn't seem as prevalent in her homeland as they appear to be elsewhere, and indicated that--barring some new of eradication of those conditions--she'd rather I trained in some MA where the distance is greater and the contact is briefer.

Now I do appreciate watching a highly-technical display of skill by two experienced BJJ practitioners, and if I lived alone, I'd leave my spazz-out ego at the door of the gym and give it a shot. However, it's only fair that I respect the wishes of the woman who shares space with me, so I guess it'll be the Shotokan--for as long as it proves useful, at any rate.

Oh well.

Posted On:
    6/23/2009 10:51am

Style: ti da shuai na

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Vieux Normand View Post
    I'm also confused by accounts, all over the web, of guys who claim to take all the proper precautions--and still end up with skin conditions. What the ****?
    The problem is ignorant/irresponsible training partners. Just last night this happened:

New Guy (NG): Hey, do you have any tape?
    Jack: Let me check my bag... yeah, here ya go. What's injured?
    NG: I've got some ringworm here on my wrist. I'm just going to cover it for safety. It's three weeks old, so it probably isn't catchy anymore.
    Jack: Um. You should show that to Lucas (who was teaching that night) before you tape it. It's not cool to roll with a rash.

... he was sent home, much to the relief of everyone else at the gym. This one simple rule -- "don't train if you have a rash" -- is surprisingly difficult to impart.
    “Most people do not do, but take refuge in theory and talk, thinking that they will become good in this way” -- Aristotle, Nicomachean Ethics, II.4

Stillness is death

Posted On:
    6/23/2009 1:20pm

Business Class Supporting Member
     NY Combat Sambo Style: combat sambo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    We clean our mats after every class, not just daily. We have never had a problem at our gym thankfully. I too am very suprised at the lack of cleanliness at many gyms. I have kicked students out of class who admitted to rashes.

Having said that, I would not stop from training anywhere if I wanted. I would just check about cleaning practices.

Posted On:
    6/23/2009 1:50pm

Join us... or die
     Style: 剛 and 柔

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Education for the individual grappler:

Staph, Ringworm and the Cooties - War Against Teh Bugs!1 - No BS Martial Arts

School owners should take additional precautions. IMO these should include cleaning the mats with a bleach/fungicidal/whatever solution at a minimum of once per day of training, forbidding training with a rash, educating students, plus, ideally, making wipes or gels available for people's hands/feet/face. This is the recipe I pushed in my old Isshinryu school when we ramped up the grappling portion of the curriculum.
    What a disgrace it is for a man to grow old without ever seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable. -Xenophon's Socrates

GIJoe6186 like boys, mainly his brother

Posted On:
    6/24/2009 7:02am

supporting member
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    You guys can come to LI some time, that way I have no excuse not to go. We have a ring and wrestling mats for like, a million people, seriously.

Posted On:
    6/24/2009 10:56pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Hiatus

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    LI Guy speaks troof.

I feel like you eyeballin' me, dawg!

Posted On:
    6/25/2009 9:10am

supporting member
     Style: Judo, JJJ, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I like that idea. It's cheaper than going into the city. And ringworm sucks.
    Quote Originally Posted by Holy Moment View Post
    BJJ JOE: I'm going to make hate to you. Right here, right now.
    ... Ohhhhhhhh, I'm going to make hate to you so hard that your kinfolk back in Africa will feel it.l
    Quote Originally Posted by Archer
    Karate is the Dane Cook of martial arts

solves problems with violence

Posted On:
    6/25/2009 9:20am

supporting member
     Style: Judo, Hung Family Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    LI guy is correct, they have a nice space, and plenty of room, but it is 1.5 hrs from manhattan by train, so if you factor in getting to penn station 1st, that's a lot of travel for someone from the bronx, queens, brooklyn, or even many parts of manhattan, not to mention for those coming down from boston/upstate.

my opinion doesn't matter as i probably won't make any of these for a good long time, but unless i was already out on LI, i would say that it would be very unlikely that i would go to patchogue for a throwdown.
    "Face punches are an essential character building part of a martial art. You don't truly love your children unless you allow them to get punched in the face." - chi-conspiricy
    "When I was a little boy, I had a sailor suit, but it didn't mean I was in the Navy." - Mtripp on the subject of a 5 year old karate black belt
    "Without actual qualifications to be a Zen teacher, your instructor is just another roundeye raping Asian culture for a buck." - Errant108
    "Seriously, who gives a **** what you or Errant think? You're Asian males, everyone just ignores you, unless you're in a krotty movie." - new2bjj

I feel like you eyeballin' me, dawg!

Posted On:
    6/25/2009 9:29am

supporting member
     Style: Judo, JJJ, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Ming Loyalist View Post
    LI guy is correct, they have a nice space, and plenty of room, but it is 1.5 hrs from manhattan by train, so if you factor in getting to penn station 1st, that's a lot of travel for someone from the bronx, queens, brooklyn, or even many parts of manhattan, not to mention for those coming down from boston/upstate.

my opinion doesn't matter as i probably won't make any of these for a good long time, but unless i was already out on LI, i would say that it would be very unlikely that i would go to patchogue for a throwdown.

But it's clean. :-)
    Quote Originally Posted by Holy Moment View Post
    BJJ JOE: I'm going to make hate to you. Right here, right now.
    ... Ohhhhhhhh, I'm going to make hate to you so hard that your kinfolk back in Africa will feel it.l
    Quote Originally Posted by Archer
    Karate is the Dane Cook of martial arts

Gold Summit Martial Arts Institute

Posted On:
    6/25/2009 10:52am

Style: Ba Zheng Dao Quan

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Which airport would be the best to come from to get there?

Authentic Kung Fu in Buffalo, NY

http://www.buffalokungfu.com

http://www.laoshierinmarkle.com
Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ... 678910 11 LastLast