Our Sponsors:

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12 345 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/15/2009 11:27pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I STILL don't see how this could be used in an actual fight on the street. I picture a scramble the whole fight.

Posted On:
    7/16/2009 9:22am

Style: ti da shuai na

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by JP View Post
    And the effective Tai Chi that I've seen and crossed hands with has had very little to separate it from good standing judo or good standing wrestling. Whether one was to mix in hitting or not. It's a different approach, or flavor to the same problem.
    JP has the correct. The best example of the taiji fight strategy I've seen in MMA is Hendo's clinch game, especially how he mixed dirty boxing and takedowns against the fence while fighting Rampage.
    “Most people do not do, but take refuge in theory and talk, thinking that they will become good in this way” -- Aristotle, Nicomachean Ethics, II.4

It's all about the clinch. The clinch, I said.

Posted On:
    7/16/2009 9:50am

supporting member
     Style: SAMBO, mma, jiujitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by informer24 View Post
    I STILL don't see how this could be used in an actual fight on the street. I picture a scramble the whole fight.
    Been in or seen many street fights?

Because what you've just described pretty much nails my experience with them. An embarrassing, kinda retarded looking scramble.

Even if there's somebody who knows what he's doing.

And what you're watching is a contest between two "skilled" practitioners adhering to the same ruleset and trying to best each other within that ruleset. If you were to mix in hitting then you'd have a very different looking game that would probably alternate between being much looser and much tighter at turns.

Now if you put one of those guys up against your average idiot on the street. Well.

This is one the biggest disconnects when I see people post in response to videos between two very skilled individuals.

"They don't look very good!"

That's because they're evenly matched. What you're looking at is a contest between equals in which both are terrified of being the first one to **** up. Because they know that all it has to take is once.
    Go placidly amid the noise and haste,
    and remember what peace there may be in silence.
    As far as possible, without surrender,
    be on good terms with all persons.
    Speak your truth quietly and clearly;
    and listen to others,
    even to the dull and ignorant;
    they too have their story.

-excerpt of the poem called "Desiderata," by Max Ehrman, 1927.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/16/2009 12:28pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by JP View Post
    Been in or seen many street fights?

Because what you've just described pretty much nails my experience with them. An embarrassing, kinda retarded looking scramble.

Even if there's somebody who knows what he's doing.

And what you're watching is a contest between two "skilled" practitioners adhering to the same ruleset and trying to best each other within that ruleset. If you were to mix in hitting then you'd have a very different looking game that would probably alternate between being much looser and much tighter at turns.

Now if you put one of those guys up against your average idiot on the street. Well.

This is one the biggest disconnects when I see people post in response to videos between two very skilled individuals.

"They don't look very good!"

That's because they're evenly matched. What you're looking at is a contest between equals in which both are terrified of being the first one to **** up. Because they know that all it has to take is once.
    I've been in and seen my fair share of fights. But what I mean by a scramble is the Tai chi guy doing some fast movements trying to "use" what he learned while the the street dude throws punches.

It's all about the clinch. The clinch, I said.

Posted On:
    7/16/2009 3:14pm

supporting member
     Style: SAMBO, mma, jiujitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I've been in and seen my fair share of fights. But what I mean by a scramble is the Tai chi guy doing some fast movements trying to "use" what he learned while the the street dude throws punches.
    Um...

But you're looking at a push-hands competition.

Not a fight...
    Go placidly amid the noise and haste,
    and remember what peace there may be in silence.
    As far as possible, without surrender,
    be on good terms with all persons.
    Speak your truth quietly and clearly;
    and listen to others,
    even to the dull and ignorant;
    they too have their story.

-excerpt of the poem called "Desiderata," by Max Ehrman, 1927.

Administrator

Posted On:
    7/16/2009 3:23pm

staff
     Style: xingyi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I'm curious do you practice a martial art? Do you compete?

This is a specific drill that sometimes ends up in competition. If you need a thread, I can show you one.

BJJ doesn't necessarily look like a streetfight.
    Judo doesn't necessarily look like a streetfight.
    The same can be said for Tai Chi.

If you want to see something close to fighting or what would be used on the street, look up tai chi and sanshou on youtube.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/16/2009 6:20pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by It is Fake View Post
    I'm curious do you practice a martial art? Do you compete?

This is a specific drill that sometimes ends up in competition. If you need a thread, I can show you one.

BJJ doesn't necessarily look like a streetfight.
    Judo doesn't necessarily look like a streetfight.
    The same can be said for Tai Chi.

If you want to see something close to fighting or what would be used on the street, look up tai chi and sanshou on youtube.
    I practice MMA. I spar, but havent competed as of yet. I watch San shou on YT sometimes. My thing is I can imaging someone using BJJ in a fight, pulling gaurd and all. I can imagine someone going for a judo throw on the street. When I watch Tai Chi....I cant picture them doing much, and resorting to average street fighting (When I say that I mean fighting as a person with no offical teaching would fight).

Posted On:
    7/16/2009 6:29pm

Join us... or die
     Style: 剛 and 柔

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Please avail yourself to read the stickies in this forum, good sir, and learn of the un-shitty tai chi.
    What a disgrace it is for a man to grow old without ever seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable. -Xenophon's Socrates

Posted On:
    7/16/2009 6:32pm

supporting member
     Style: Taijiquan/Shuai-Chiao/BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    When I watch Tai Chi....I cant picture them doing much
    That's a limit of your imagination, not a limit of taiji.

Administrator

Posted On:
    7/16/2009 7:26pm

staff
     Style: xingyi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I practice MMA. I spar, but havent competed as of yet. I watch San shou on YT sometimes. My thing is I can imaging someone using BJJ in a fight, pulling gaurd and all. I can imagine someone going for a judo throw on the street. When I watch Tai Chi....I cant picture them doing much, and resorting to average street fighting (When I say that I mean fighting as a person with no offical teaching would fight).
    Did you do what I asked yet.

Sanda+TaiChi+Youtube yet?
    Sanshou+TaiChi+youtube?
    Leitai+TaiChi+youtube?
    Fullcontact+taichi+youtube?

Now when you do this, the we can discuss this rationally...hopefully. Until then, you are not contributing to the discussion.
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12 345 LastLast