Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 67 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Posted On:
    6/07/2009 1:59am

Style: BJJ,MT,RBSD (on hiatus)

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by pokeroo View Post
    After a man got tazed and died in an airport, Tazers were ruled to be considered deadly force and only used when someone is putting someone else's life in danger (in Canada).
    Bullshit.

Back that statement up.
    <insert witty comment>

Choked out by Gene Lebell

Posted On:
    6/07/2009 5:14am

supporting member
     Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by pokeroo View Post
    After a man got tazed and died in an airport, Tazers were ruled to be considered deadly force and only used when someone is putting someone else's life in danger (in Canada). I can't beleive the stupidity of the cop tazing a gramma becuase she was resisting arrest and using foul language.
    People have died after being Pepper Sprayed. Some tazers are so much like handguns, and worn on the same side, officers under stress have pulled their firearms and shot, when they meant to use the taser.

Likely there is a policy in place about this stuff and this guy was doing exactly what the higher ups told him to do.

Still, the job sucks big time.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/07/2009 12:08pm

Style: mma

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by rw4th View Post
    Bullshit.

Back that statement up.
    It was on CTV news. I really don't feel like doing a search every time I wish to discuss recently past events, especially for a YMAS thread. So believe it or not, I don't care.

To the others who disagree with me about the use of the taser, I by no means consider myself an expert. All I know is that you only have one shot, and the tazer can kill anyone with a heart condition, a pacemaker, or sometimes just kills people. I also know that law enforcement tends to have a false sense of tasers being harmless.

United States Marine.

Posted On:
    6/07/2009 12:14pm

Join us... or die
     Style: MCMAP, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Ok, but how many people with heart conditions, or pacemakers are really doing things that require them to be tazered?

PROOF that I'm not a completely useless poster:
    http://www.bullshido.net/forums/show...0&postcount=58

Quote Originally Posted by Cy Q. Faunce
    3moose1 is correct. Sig THAT, you fucker.

Quote Originally Posted by sochin101 View Post
    I went out with a delightful young woman who was on a regimen of pills that made her taste of burned onions.
    That is not conducive to passionate cunnilingus, my friend, let me assure you.
    Quote Originally Posted by HappyOldGuy View Post
    I agree with moosey

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/07/2009 1:42pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    OK I changed my mind. here is the incident I was thinking of. I may have been mistaken about how Canada since changed its use of Tasers by law enforcement.

YouTube - vancouver man killed by taser actual footage

YouTube - Taser tragedy

I know someone will point out that the camera doesn't show everything. I understand its hard to make a decision in a split second as a police officer. I have respect for law enforcement but I think tasers are highly misunderstood, misused, and not enough training is given. I also think not enough is known about their medical effects.

Quote Originally Posted by 3moose1 View Post
    Ok, but how many people with heart conditions, or pacemakers are really doing things that require them to be tazered?
    Depends on what you consider the word "require" to mean. Most of the incidents I've heard of seem to be cases of misuse anyway. However you can't know the medical conditions of someone by looking at them. Also consider the effects of drugs such as meth, coke, or alcohol on ones vulnerability to tasers. The deaths following tasers are usually attributed to other medical conditions, but the effects of tasers are not well studied.

this might help: taser deaths - Google Search

United States Marine.

Posted On:
    6/07/2009 1:47pm

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    In my mind, require means acting in a disorderly capacity, that endangers the safety/property of others, yet doesn't require deadly force.

Now, think of my mom, she has an automatic internal defibrillator. We're currently financing her into the 1.2 million dollar woman. If she got hit with a tazer, I'm sure it would be detrimental to her health. However, she doesn't act disorderly, in a way that endangers the safety/property of others.

Most people with heart conditions are going to be older people. Older people generally don't engage in illicit behavior.

As for drugged out meth/coke/crack heads, I don't think you should use the tazer on them.

Thats why officers have that Glock on their hip...

I went out with a delightful young woman who was on a regimen of pills that made her taste of burned onions.
    I agree with moosey

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/07/2009 1:52pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The video I showed had a 33 year old man, who had been detained for 12 hours in an airport, and was unable to speak english. Police attributed his death to "excited delerium". I think many people would get upset under those circumstances, plus its hard to know what he was upset for. There are lots of grumpy old people who become hostile too. Just saying.

United States Marine.

Posted On:
    6/07/2009 1:55pm

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Lets discuss a few points here:

The tazer is a weapon, designed to be non-lethal, and subdue the target, correct?

Now, if we accept that definition, then we must examine it. In this world, what ISN'T lethal? I can kill you with a pillow, a speaker, hell, even a feather if i were determined enough. There is no such thing, and there never WILL be such a thing as a "non-lethal" weapon. We simply can't turn our phasers to stun, and hope everything will be alright. Instead, we must rely on weapons that LESSEN the chance of death, to an acceptable amount.

But if you're really so afraid of dying from a stun gun...don't do anything that warrants being stunned. Be respectful, polite and calm.

I agree with moosey

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/07/2009 4:52pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Actually I've never been disrespectful of law enforcement, and never had any major encounters. Its not my fear, I was just giving my opinion there. I think the whole non-lethal label is part of the problem. If police used the tasers with the same respect as a gun we'd probably have fewer of these incidents. There are reports of police using tasers to wake people up, to discipline/punish them etc.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/07/2009 5:41pm

Style: Kempo, Catch Wrestling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The actual term we use is "Less than lethal" not "non-lethal"
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 67 LastLast