Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Posted On:
    6/02/2009 7:11pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: none yet

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

i'm not too sure about this...

so as my name implies, i'm relatively new to martial arts and very new to this site. before i moved out west i was taking dan zan ryu (sp?) juijitsu from a guy in buffalo ny. I loved the class, the workout, and almost all of the content seemed applicable (with practice) to an actual street fight. the guys i trained with were mostly cops and bouncers who had to use this training often to stay upright and/or alive.
    so i moved to portland or. on a whim and joined a Poekoelan Tjimindie Tulen school on another whim. some of it seemed kind of silly, but the workout was good and it seemed kind of realistic. but i caught myself saying more and more "i would never even try that after YEARS of practice".
    so i looked up some things and found this site. specifically i found a thread from a guy (i beleive named justin porter, could be wrong tho) claiming that it was worse than a mcdojo. i've gone and signed up for my first honest to god cult!!
    I was wondering if anyone can substantiate these claims. also if anyone has anything to add about the style, particularly in refference to the teaching style of Mas Goeroe Janesa, i would love some input.
    thanks for your time guys.

PS- if this is posted in the wrong place, my bad. i'm new.
    PPS- can anyone suggest a school in portland that won't break the bank, but doesn't suck?

Posted On:
    6/02/2009 10:39pm

Style: Pekiti, ARMA, other stuff

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    School have a website? Can you describe what sort of stuff you're actually doing?

Posted On:
    6/02/2009 10:39pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Also, in response to your PPS, Straight Blast Gym or team quest.

Heavyweight

Posted On:
    6/03/2009 9:25am

supporting member
     Style: Kyokushinkai / Kajukenbo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    You've read this thread? Poekoelan - No BS Martial Arts rather amusing.

There so much good ma in Portland. Like Kyokushin and Enshin karate, to say nothing of lots of BJJ, MT, etc etc..
    "Preparing mentally, the most important thing is, if you aren't doing it for the love of it, then don't do it." - Benny Urquidez

Posted On:
    6/03/2009 10:44am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: none yet

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    yup. that was the thread. i couldn't get through it all i was so embarrassed. the thread pretty much covers all that is wrong with this style. i was just wondering if anyone could substantiate the pyrokinesis/ speaking to willie wetzel with a Ouija board/ downright psycho crap. you know. so i can tell my co-workers that i've been brainwashed by a cult and i'm no longer responsible for my actions.
    a friend of mine goes to straight blast and kighly reccomends it. i think i'll end up there. i've heard mixed reviews about small circle, but would like to check that out too.

Heavyweight

Posted On:
    6/03/2009 8:17pm

supporting member
     Style: Kyokushinkai / Kajukenbo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    My uncle Bob was a second or third dan in small circle JJ and judo under Wally Jay in Oakland. I'm afraid that the quality varies widely now-a-days.

There's all kinds of schools out there, specially in Portland. If I was lucky enough to be looking for a school there I'd check out lots of schools. You probably can't go wrong with what selfcritical rec'd with Straight Blast Gym or team quest, but I found, like in Hawaii, I didn't fit with Kyokushin anymore, but Universal Kempo, a Kajukenbo style split off, fit well. As Egan Inoue, of Grappling Unlimited Hawaii, a very good modern MT BJJ type school, told me, those Hawaiian Kempo guys are old school! And the heart felt dedication, openness to new techniques (BJJ, of course), self defense emphasis, Hawaiian Kempo brotherhood, and hard training made me feel right at home.

Egan's school is also a real good school, but it's full of 20 to 30 year olds in spandex... Universal is a fit for me because it has the great Hawaiian tradition and all sorts of students; both the thirty year old third dan cop who can kick your ass through the roof and the fifty year old chubby Chinese lady black belt (who'd really surprise a perv).
    "Preparing mentally, the most important thing is, if you aren't doing it for the love of it, then don't do it." - Benny Urquidez

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/04/2009 9:18am

Style: Itinerant Wanderer

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Newguy12- Since your background is danzan ryu, from an apparently good school, you might as well try the small circle class. I would assume you would be able to discern bs from good jujitsu soon enough. And it should easily compliment your danzan ryu.

Of course, if your friend goes to a good, and well-respected, gym, joining him isn't a bad idea either.

It's all about the clinch. The clinch, I said.

Posted On:
    6/04/2009 11:25am

supporting member
     Style: SAMBO, mma, jiujitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Hello,

Those were my posts that you read. I'm Justin Porter.

There's no secondary corroboration, at least not any that I could offer that would be particularly convincing. You're just going to have to take my word and accept what I've said. Each and every anecdote is the truth. Perhaps some of my other perceptions are colored by bias but each and every story related in those posts happened, directly, to me.

I keep altering their Wikipedia page with links to those posts and with a few articles of what these nutcases are actually up to, but somebody keeps taking them out.

Beyond that, there's not much I can offer. Go to Straight Blast Gym.

I have no idea if Matt Thornton has heard of these folks, but he's in Portland and I bet he has. You could always ask him, he's got a serious problem with martial arts cults.

My reputation here is pretty solid. You could ask some of the other new yorkers here to chime in and tell you if I seemed like I was particularly full of ****.

Get the **** out of there. Please.

Quote Originally Posted by newguy12 View Post
    i've heard mixed reviews about small circle, but would like to check that out too.
    Isn't that George Dillman's stuff? He's the big advocate of pressure points for self-defense and no touch knock-outs. PT Barnum was totally right. Stay away from Dillman too. At least if you want to learn to fight.
    Last edited by JP; 6/04/2009 11:27am at .
    Go placidly amid the noise and haste,
    and remember what peace there may be in silence.
    As far as possible, without surrender,
    be on good terms with all persons.
    Speak your truth quietly and clearly;
    and listen to others,
    even to the dull and ignorant;
    they too have their story.

-excerpt of the poem called "Desiderata," by Max Ehrman, 1927.

Posted On:
    6/04/2009 11:40am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    "Small Circle" ranges through a lot of stuff, from "it's basically Judo with more submission focus" to "Goddamn aikidoish"

It's all about the clinch. The clinch, I said.

Posted On:
    6/04/2009 12:45pm

supporting member
     Style: SAMBO, mma, jiujitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by selfcritical View Post
    "Small Circle" ranges through a lot of stuff, from "it's basically Judo with more submission focus" to "Goddamn aikidoish"

Very good to know, thank you.
    Go placidly amid the noise and haste,
    and remember what peace there may be in silence.
    As far as possible, without surrender,
    be on good terms with all persons.
    Speak your truth quietly and clearly;
    and listen to others,
    even to the dull and ignorant;
    they too have their story.

-excerpt of the poem called "Desiderata," by Max Ehrman, 1927.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast