223773 Bullies, 3902 online  
  • Register
Our Sponsors:

Page 1 of 4 1 234 LastLast
  1. --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Escapades with Sports Drinks: The Evaluaton

Sports drinks are, for all intents and purposes, **** and marketing pieces of **** geared towards meatheads and assholes who think they're "athletes." Or something like that. I'm sorry, typo, I mean sports drinks are, for all intents and purposes, not good for you.

I've been training really hard for the past 2 months to prepare for a fight I have in August and I've been doing an experiment (single blind when applicable) wherein I've been purchasing sports drinks and energy drinks to test which ones are "the best." I've been trying to find drinks that don't require you to have an associates degree in Biochemistry and spend $1000 a month to use. Interestingly enough, this experiment only cost me $50 total over the course of 2 months. This test was done before 3 hours sessions of Judo or Kickboxing both of which required similar amounts of work and endurance on my end.

My categories for the drinks I'm going to rate are on a S-A-B-C-D-F scale. Where S = Superior and F = Fail. The categories are as follows:

Affordability - This denotes how much the drink costs in comparison with the others on the market.
    Drinkability - Taste and how easily it goes down (LIKE YOUR MOM! SNAP!)
    Endurance - Affect on my endurance. Not that it gave me mutant hero endurance or anything. But that it allowed me to train harder, longer.
    Hydration - One of the biggest things that bother me during training is hydration. when I get that gummy feeling in my mouth and my skin gets taught and my head hurts, something that hydrates me fixes it.
    Overall - This is the overall score for the drink and denotes the best bang for buck you can get from this drink.

The drinks.

Water

Water was my base test. It is available everywhere and I would compare everything to it.

Affordability - S rank. It goes anywhere from free to $1/liter. If you're paying any more than that, Clock choke yourself for being stupid.
    Drinkability - S rank. Who doesn't like the feeling of ice cold water when you've been working out a whole bunch?
    Endurance - C rank. It doesn't really do much for endurance. This is pretty much left to whatever natural amounts of endurance you have.
    Hydration - B rank. Kept me hydrated, but I found myself having to drink more than any other drink, which made me feel a little heavy and forced me to wait to let it settle.
    Overall - A rank. Great drink. Don't discount it because it's not fancy.

M-150

A few weeks ago I made a thread about this drink and how it did for me. M-150 is an energy drink from Thailand that is about half the size and quantity of a Redbull, but about 15 times more potent. But also 15 times more of a crash when you're done. I do not recommend these for training. Maybe if you have 1 match that'll last for less than 20 minutes. Then yes, drink ONLY ONE about 20 minutes before you have to perform. You will feel Herculean.

Affordability - S rank. You can find them for like $1/bottle.
    Drinkability - B rank. Better than Redbull, but still has that medicine taste. It's all that taurine in it.
    Endurance - F rank. It'll make you feel like Ares for 20 minutes. Then you'll feel like Keith Richards afterwards.
    Hydration - D rank. It didn't last long enough for me to find out. But it wasn't dehydrating me so I'll give it a D.
    Overall - C- rank. What it lacks in longevity makes up for the sprint time. If you need a big burst of energy to defeat a tank or for like a single match. I suggest this.

Energy drinks

I'm just gonna lump all of these into 1 category because they all suck for training. Yes, I tried redbull, rockstar, xyience, amp, stoked, etc. All of those shitty bro drinks. These are all the same and I don't want to do an individual report on each and every one of them. Let me just say that, if you absolutely, positively want to suck and not be able to do more than 30 minutes of hardcore training. Drink these. This was the worst month of training I have ever done because of these drinks. I knew this ahead of time but needed to do it for the sake of science. (LIKE YOUR MOM! OOOH SNAP!) One thing that I really want to point out is that Xyience sucks. A lot. **** that noise.

Affordability - D rank. These things are expensive as all hell. Starting from $2/can to almost $3.50/can.
    Drinkability - C rank. Subjective yes. Some of them taste ok. Some of them feel like thousands of tiny little needles climbing down your throat.
    Endurance - F rank. These will make you hit a wall and you will NOT be able to climb over it.
    Hydration - F rank. These take away all of your hydration and make your mouth feel gummy and give you a nasty headache.
    Overall - F+ rank. This **** sucks.

Gatorade

Gatorade. The sports drink of America. It has Electrolytes! It also sucks. Gatorade is full of sodium to replace the sodium you lose while sweating and working out. The idea is sound, right? You lose sodium, just drink Gatorade to replenish it! Unfortuantely, Gatorade uses research done in the 1950's and it's completely out of date. It makes me feel like puking and really just does nothing DURING training. Afterwards, I find it makes me feel less like killing myself.

Affordability - B rank. Depending on the size you get, it's not too expensive, but also not cheap. Small ones are about $1.80/bottle while bigger ones get to $2.50/bottle.
    Drinkability - C rank. It takes pretty good depending on the flavor, but it kind of feels like I'm drinking flavored sweat.
    Endurance - D rank. The ionized salt (aka Sodium) they use makes me feel really heavy and out of focus.
    Hydration - C rank. This one is odd. Before and during training, it sucks. After training it makes me feel better.
    Overall - C- rank. It's an average drink. Does more bad than good and I haven't really ever cared much for it.

Powerade

The competitor to Gatorade. I actually liked Powerade a little better than Gatorade. I mean they both are pretty much the same, but Powerade doesn't make me feel like I'm drinking a bottle full of flavored sweat. It's based on the same 1950's research that Gatorade is. It's also slightly cheaper than Gatorade.

Affordability - B rank. Cheaper than Gatorade, but not by much.
    Drinkability - B rank. Doesn't have the texture of drinking sweat.
    Endurance - C rank. Doesn't make my mouth gummy like Gatorade. It marks slightly higher.
    Hydration - C rank. Not really hydrating, but doesn't sap it like Gatorade does during training.
    Overall - C+ rank. Better than Gatorade, but not by much.

Propel Water

Propel is the slimmer, younger, sexier cousin of Gatorade. It is everything that Gatorade wishes it could be. It tastes great, hydrates and doesn't make you feel like you've just swallowed a bucket full of sweat.

Affordability - S rank. It is the cheapest sports drink I have found so far. At around $1.20/bottle it's pretty cheap. If you buy it in bulk from sam's club or costco, it's something like $0.55/bottle. I would hope so though, it's essentially flavored water.
    Drinkability - A rank. It tastes great and doesn't leave the sweaty man aftertaste in your mouth.
    Endurance - B rank. Because it makes you feel good and doesn't dehydrate you. I found that it lets me train longer. It doesn't necessarily make you more active or give you endurance, it just doesn't bog you down like gatorade/powerade.
    Hydration - A rank. Propel makes you feel good for a long time. You have to drink more of it to keep you hydrated, but it keeps you on the up and leaves your mouth wet and your skin and muscles unfatigued.
    Overall - S- rank. Cheaper and better than Gatorade/Powerade. It's Water+ basically, with flavoring and some carbs.

Vitamin Water

This is probably so far my favorite "sports drink." Which is funny because I don't think it's really even a "sports drink." It was cheap, hydrating, gave me good amounts of endurance and tastes great. It is like an upgraded Propel water. It has more vitamins for energy and more carbs and sugar. The things you need to keep you lasting a long time if you want to train hard. I love it. It's

Affordability - A+ rank. At around $1.70/bottle. It's cheaper and performs much better than any of the other drinks out there. .
    Drinkability - S rank. It goes down easy. It has a light taste and isn't sugary. It feels less viscous than Propel going down and doesn't sit in the back of your throat. You can drink it before, during and after training and that vomitting feeling isn't there.
    Endurance - A rank. The B12 and the sugar and everything else in the drink actually provides me with more energy to train longer. It doesn't give me a burst of energy, but it allows me to keep on going.
    Hydration - A- rank. The hydration levels here don't last nearly as long as propel and I found myself drinking this more than I did propel, but it outlasts the other drinks.
    Overall - S rank. This drink is only a little bit more expensive than Propel, but that $0.50 is worth every penny. So far this is my absolute favorite drink and I will probably stick to it.

Now, I mentioned that I did a single blind test. Let me explain. I had my brother or my girlfriend fill water bottles with the drinks and give me one without my knowing which one it was until after training. Of course your results may vary. This is all based on my personal experiences and you might want to try something out on your own. I'd recommend it to find the drinks that work best for you.

As an added bonus, I tried a little concoction of my own that is cheap as dirt.

Sirc Juice:

- 1 bottle of water
    - 2 tsp of sugar
    - 1 slice of lemon
    - 2 tablets of B12

I went out and bought a bottle of B12 for about $12 which came with 90 tablets. Mix this all together and you have your own sports drink which costs almost nothing.

90 tablets will make you 45 bottles of water. = $12
    45 bottles of 20oz of water if you use a 5 gallon jug and recycle bottles = $1.75
    10 lemons will cost you = $5
    1 bag of sugar = $1.45

total = $20.20/45 = $0.44/bottle.

This combination was almost as good as the Vitamin water and even cheaper. If you can't afford the vitamin water. I would suggest this combo.

Your brother in Raptor Jesus,

Sirc
    Attached Images  
    Last edited by Phrost; 6/02/2009 9:27pm at .

Dysfunctionally Strong

Posted On:
    6/02/2009 6:56pm

supporting member
     Style: Boxing/Wrestling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    You have too much free time.
    "Emevas,
    You're a scrapper, I like that."-Ronin69

Posted On:
    6/02/2009 7:05pm

Style: Mixed Martial Arts

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Good review - thanks for posting.

Out of curiosity, with your home made concoction, did you find you needed to use the bathroom more frequently? I find when I take b12, my bladder seems to shrink.

Also, with the vitamin water, did you find any perceivable difference between the flavors for effectiveness? I know they market them as being purpose specific (endurance, focus, etc), but I wonder if the effect (if any) is anything more than placebo.

Lastly, here in Australia, Powerade also sells a version of it's product called powerade Recovery:

It's supposed to be taken post sport, and has protein in it. I mention it because I agree with you assertion that gatorade/powerade seems to be most effective as a post workout drink to begin with, and aside from the chalky taste, Powerade recovery gave me the best effect after a workout. No good pre training though. Have you tried it?

I am a living legend!

Posted On:
    6/02/2009 7:08pm

supporting member
     Style: Tatsumaki Senpuu Kyaku

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Emevas View Post
    You have too much free time.
    And you get to benefit from it.

Quote Originally Posted by Deadmeat View Post
    Good review - thanks for posting.

Out of curiosity, with your home made concoction, did you find you needed to use the bathroom more frequently? I find when I take b12, my bladder seems to shrink.

Also, with the vitamin water, did you find any perceivable difference between the flavors for effectiveness? I know they market them as being purpose specific (endurance, focus, etc), but I wonder if the effect (if any) is anything more than placebo.

Lastly, here in Australia, Powerade also sells a version of it's product called powerade Recovery:

It's supposed to be taken post sport, and has protein in it. I mention it because I agree with you assertion that gatorade/powerade seems to be most effective as a post workout drink to begin with, and aside from the chalky taste, Powerade recovery gave me the best effect after a workout. No good pre training though. Have you tried it?
    Haven't had any of that stuff. I hate that stupid aftertaste though. That chalky mansweat taste is gross. I don't know how girls do it.

And I haven't noticed any shrinkage in the bladder. But then again, i sweat so much when I train that I never have to pee.
    Last edited by King Sleepless; 6/02/2009 7:13pm at .

Dysfunctionally Strong

Posted On:
    6/02/2009 7:16pm

supporting member
     Style: Boxing/Wrestling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Really though, I like to drink Powerade/gatorade while training for the sugars rather than the sodium. It does something to replenish glycogen.

Then of course, there's always powerthirst

YouTube - Powerthirst

YouTube - Powerthirst 2: Re-Domination
    "Emevas,
    You're a scrapper, I like that."-Ronin69

Do you eat breakfast?

Posted On:
    6/02/2009 7:33pm

supporting member
     Style: Kitty Pow Pow!!!

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Vitamin water is pretty much the only one of these drinks I would ever drink, and I don't drink it too often because it has more calories than I like to be adding to my diet just for hydration purposes. It tastes quite good and definitely does it's duty .The "revive" flavor works well for post work out with the +potassium and the dragon fruit or whatever with the b12+taurine perks me up as much as a red bull without making me feel like I'm drinking horrible poisons that make my digestive tract scream in agony. The Trader Joe's flavored water (from the store of the same name) is pretty much the exact same thing, though from what I can tell and cost's $1/bottle instead of $1.50.

Lately Kat's got me drinking those little ocean spray drink on the go thingies that you mix up in a water bottle. They don't taste as good as vitamin water, but they have the B and C vitamins and electrolytes and are only 5 calories per packet and practically don't cost anything compared to any of the bottled drinks. And the taste is perfectly acceptable to me when I'm thirsty as hell from working out.

I only really drink that stuff post work out and just drink water as my beverage of choice.
    Ranked #9 internationally at 118lbs by WIKBA http://www.womenkickboxing.com/wikba...rch%202009.htm

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/02/2009 11:21pm

Style: mma

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    After reading over another thread about sports drinks and fructose, I've been making my own by filling a bottle of water, adding about a tablespoon of white corn syrup (glucose), and a pinch to 1/8th tsp of sea salt. I'll try adding lemon juice after reading this. I'm not sure how much potassium sea salt adds, if anyone has any suggestions for how to get more potassium into this drink please let me know.

I am a living legend!

Posted On:
    6/03/2009 12:04am

supporting member
     Style: Tatsumaki Senpuu Kyaku

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by pokeroo View Post
    After reading over another thread about sports drinks and fructose, I've been making my own by filling a bottle of water, adding about a tablespoon of white corn syrup (glucose), and a pinch to 1/8th tsp of sea salt. I'll try adding lemon juice after reading this. I'm not sure how much potassium sea salt adds, if anyone has any suggestions for how to get more potassium into this drink please let me know.
    There are different kinds of "sodium."

I'm not a chemist or anything. But gatorade and everyone else (vitamin water included) just use ionized salt like the **** you buy from Save Mart.

I'm looking more into the kinds of sodium you need.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/03/2009 12:12am

Style: Enshin Karate

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    cool write up Ive already shown it to a few friends its really useful for us endurance noobs so thank you for taking the time to do this

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/03/2009 12:16am

Style: mma

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Sirc View Post
    There are different kinds of "sodium."

I'm not a chemist or anything. But gatorade and everyone else (vitamin water included) just use ionized salt like the **** you buy from Save Mart.

I'm looking more into the kinds of sodium you need.
    This is the first time I've ever heard that there is more than one kind of sodium. Care to elaborate? I'm pretty sure your wrong by the way, so you may want to check where you got this information from.
Page 1 of 4 1 234 LastLast