Sponsored Links Spacer Image

l Travel To Get Choked!

Posted On:
    6/03/2009 11:46am

Style: Judo, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Call me clueless but what's the point?

I could go out and buy a 10th dan in Judo. Probably could find one in less time then it would take me to type this but WHAT IS THE POINT?

That paper would no more make me a tenth dan in Judo then paper wings would make me a bird. Even if I had near the skill required for a first Dan in Judo and bought the degree *I* would know I wasn't a tenth dan. That knowledge alone would sour it.

How do people live with themselves with this crap?

Posted On:
    6/03/2009 11:58am

Style: submission grappling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Their site is great. They have 4 yellow belts and 15 10th dan black belts.

You got to love it. :icon_chee

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/03/2009 12:31pm

Style: Hapkido, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by ignatzami View Post

I could go out and buy a 10th dan in Judo. Probably could find one in less time then it would take me to type this but WHAT IS THE POINT?

That paper would no more make me a tenth dan in Judo then paper wings would make me a bird. Even if I had near the skill required for a first Dan in Judo and bought the degree *I* would know I wasn't a tenth dan. That knowledge alone would sour it.

I believe it is nothing more or less than a matter of character. You have character. They do not.

Administrator

Posted On:
    6/03/2009 12:56pm

staff
     Style: xingyi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Also, go look at any website or any place really. People have a natural propensity to believe the people with the most "accolades."

Just in case that is sarcasm.

I watch people demand respect because, they have 4 or 5 ranks in made up pay for play ranks. Uninformed people jump to their defense and their ego gets fed. In many cases, people will shut up if you can produce the credentials. It doesn't matter whether you are right or wrong.

Posted On:
    6/03/2009 12:56pm

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by ignatzami View Post

I can't speak to these people per se but what they often do is get one person who is somewhat credible, they they start a pyrmid. I won't mention names but there is a Judo guy notorious for this act. A lot of these organizations do this on one form or another.

I guess the feeling is that by having a few people in who are legit... it gives the enterprise some legitimacy.

I guess it is a way to make a few bucks. It is sad though. Before these places were so ubiquitious there were other ways this drama got played out. It was probably better when a guy had to go to another live human being though, and that is how it used to be.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/03/2009 1:56pm

Style: Kenpo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Mtripp View Post
    I have been asked twice.... not going.
    This is one of the reasons that I left my last instructor. Funny thing, he gets credit and/or kickbacks for each person that signs up.

And he was really doing the "strong-arm" approach too. Almost demanding and sometimes down right telling us that we "had to do this" if we wanted our next rank or a choice location to teach at.

Nothing new, just new players.

Posted On:
    6/14/2009 8:18pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Budo Ryu Shin Gendai Sens

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    As a member of IIMAA I would like to invite all of you to attend the upcoming Martial Arts Seminar, being hosted by IIMAA July 16-18, 2010 in Orlando, FL (maseminar.com). I believe the level of training provided by IIMAA member instructors and guest instructors will put to rest some of the aformentioned controversy. I realize there are numerous organizations out there looking to make a profit by selling rank certificates. However, IIMAA's goal is to unify martial artists of all styles and to remove all of the politics that have plagued the martial arts. Please take the time to review the website www.iimaa.net and maseminar.com. This will at least clear up some of the erroneous information posted earlier in the blog. I am not looking to get into a blog war and will not be responding to any negative comments. For those of you taking the time to review the website and have legitimate questions; I would be happy to try and answer your questions. Be well and train hard.

Posted On:
    6/14/2009 8:27pm

hall of famestaff

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    You spammed one of our members offering him 50% off on (paid) rank testiing while plugging your Hall of Fame. I think the intentions of your organization are pretty clear on their face.

If you want to argue the point I do have some questions.

1) How many people have you tested for rank over the last three years? Please list their names.

2) Please list every rank tested for and in which martial arts, for example Dan Jones, 2nd degree in Akido.

3) Please list who passed and who failed these tests.

4) Please list everyone awarded a rank who did not have to test, please also provide the name of their arts and the belt degree awarded to them.

5) Please tell us by year how much your organization collected (gross earnings) from such testing.

Thank you for your cooperation in this matter.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/14/2009 9:52pm

Style: Kenpo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Sam, you really, really, expect a real honest answer?

This scheme and the "Hall of Fame" awards make me feel that I have to take a long shower just to get the stink off.

Good luck with getting a straight answer from these guys.....

Posted On:
    6/14/2009 11:25pm

forum leader
     Style: BJJ/ MMA/ MT

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I wonder if anyone ever has gone: Wait a second, are you telling me that my 10th dan black belt in Sifu Sensei's generic reality based ancient traditional modern scientific system is somehow devalued by the fact that I bought it on the internet for half price?!?

Advertisement:
    Forget diligent hardcore training and sacrifice, for this week only you can become equal to the founder in your chosen martial art for half price! That's right, for a mere $990 you can snap kick your master to the face and make him do push ups.
    Never again will you have to listen to those pesky 9th Dan black belts who often know nothing!!! By purchasing our product today at HALF ITS ORIGINAL PRICE They will HAVE TO ASK YOU for advice on a technique! If you don't show it, it is only because you are too d34dly and are reserving your hidden knowledge for 10th dans only.
    But wait, there's more, if you use a credit card in the next 15 minutes, we'll throw in an EXTRA 8th dan blackbelt in your choice of Kukkiwon TKD or TCB Martial Arts (Elvis Presley's Taking Care of Business). Edit: TCB 8th Dan belts- Out of stock.
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 12 34 LastLast