Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/19/2009 9:21am

Style: Taijiquan - Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Good advice BKR, Judobum, and others!

I am not aware of a general hierarchy of grips, but there a number of players (some well below the competitive ability of Jimmy Pedro) who have a fairly sophisticated gripping strategy that is designed to lead them to a successful tokui waza.

I think of it as a shooter who gets into position, establishes a proper sight picture, then squeezes the trigger. If they hit the bull's eye - Ippon!

My dog is cuter and smarter than yours.

Posted On:
    7/19/2009 9:47am

Join us... or die
     Style: Kodokan Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by BKR View Post
    The most all round useful grip in Judo is the sleeve and lapel grip-the standard grip for learning Judo. It affords the most flexibility in action, offense and defense.

If you watch Jimmy Pedro do Judo, and I've watched him a lot over the years, live, in competition, he throws mostly from a sleeve and lapel grip. How he gets that grip, and keeps it, and uses it to dominate an opponent, (or other grips) is what his DVD is about.

There is no formal hierarchy of grips in Judo that I know of. Any grip can be neutralized or turned against an opponent by a combination of tai sabaki, posture, and counter gripping. And that is a complex topic to say the least.

We need to differentiate between high level Judo competition, where the sort of grip fighting skill that Jimmy Pedro and others teach/do is an absolute necessity, to just learning Judo and competing in normal events.

Here are a couple of basic principles of gripping.

1. Your lapel hand should be level or slightly lower than your shoulder.
    2. Grip the sleeve hand between or on the elbow and the sleeve opening. Get a "double grip", in other words, take the slack out of the gi.
    3.) Keep both your elbows pointing at the floor as much as possible.
    4.) Don't clamp your thumb down in either grip, especially the lapel grip, as that limits your ability to turn your body.

After that, it gets much more complicated because of the permutations of posture and movement between two people.

Regards,

Ben
    I wanted to edit this post, but waited too long.

The Pedro DVD has his system, developed by he Dad, Jim Pedro Sr. That has some principles gripping within that system. They can be applied from a basic level to the most advanced level. I think that if anybody wants, they can go to the USJA website and find the simple core of the system in the coaching section (you might have to hunt around a bit).
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234