Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/31/2009 1:44pm

Style: Gongfu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Cheap good protein powder

Here's my meager contribution to the reviews on this site.

Short story:
    I previously used cheap EAS soy protein which was OK, but now I use cheap Genisoy because it's better.

Long story:
    I'm not on any training regime; I use protein supplements because I don't get enough protein in my diet and don't want to drink a ton of milk.

I used EAS protein powder (Target, Walmart). It mixed well, tasted fine, and was cheap. No major complaints. Recently I noticed Genisoy at Walmart (not at Target so far) and tried it out. It was a finer powder, which also mixed well and tasted ok (though more bland/doughy). Though it is more expensive for a lighter container, it is cheaper per gram of protein.

Quick stats:
    EAS
    Servings: 14
    Protein: 20g
    Carbs: 19g (17g sugar)
    Very few vitamins/minerals

Genisoy
    Servings: 15
    Protein: 25g
    Carbs: 0g
    Lots of vitamins/minerals

Apparently Genisoy is also more 'natural.' I did notice that after drinking EAS my whole body felt uncomfortably 'dry' (for lack of a better word), and after drinking Genisoy I feel fine.

Posted On:
    6/05/2009 3:15pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Jiu-Jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Sounds good. How much does it cost usually?

Posted On:
    6/05/2009 3:22pm

Join us... or die
     Style: 剛 and 柔

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Where are the proteins coming from? My noobish understanding is that you'd want more protein coming from whey than soy, and I think EAS does that.
    What a disgrace it is for a man to grow old without ever seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable. -Xenophon's Socrates

Middleweight

Posted On:
    6/05/2009 4:06pm

supporting member
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Stay away from soy!!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by OnceLost View Post
    Actually, I don't do it because I don't want people to be scammed - I do it because I enjoy kicking down the doors of Lies and Deceit and then forcibly fucking Fraud with the dildo of Truth.
    Quote Originally Posted by It is Fake View Post
    I don't care if they gave it to him because, he tickles butterfly butt-holes while wearing a pink frock.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    6/05/2009 8:36pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: DZR JJJ / MMA noob

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Ever hear the adage "You get what you pay for?"

Soy protein, while all-natural and vegetarian/vegan friendly contains plant estrogens, and while a little estrogen won't hurt you, using it as your primary source of protein and thereby taking it daily has the potential to flood your system with estogen.

If you're not on a training regimen you probably won't care that it's reducing your testosterone levels, but you might be concerned when you start developing breasts.

EDIT: Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong. Just regurgitating what I read in a men's health article.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/06/2009 9:56am

Style: bum rush karate

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I recommend body fortress from walmart. $15 for two pounds.

26 grams of protein per scoop with extra glutamine and it includes creatine. The only downside is that some ingredient doesn't dissolve too well and the bottom of my shake is always a little gritty. But otherwise it tastes good and has good stuff in it.

Other possible downside: it has one of the artificial sweeteners in it (can't remember which one now). This may bother some people, I don't care though, I'd rather control my carb intake seperate from my protein intake.

How do elenchus?

Posted On:
    6/07/2009 2:57am

Style: gah, transition again

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    OP, unless you're a vegan, I'd recommend whey protein. All the veggie-protein I've ever eaten tastes horrible and I'm not really sure if there's much of a nutritional benefit to soy. Plus there's the estrogens debate.
    Lord Krishna said: I am terrible time the destroyer of all beings in all worlds, engaged to destroy all beings in this world; Of those heroic soldiers presently situated in the opposing army, even without you none will be spared.
    Bhagavad Gita 11:32

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/08/2009 3:45pm

Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by socratic View Post
    OP, unless you're a vegan, I'd recommend whey protein. All the veggie-protein I've ever eaten tastes horrible and I'm not really sure if there's much of a nutritional benefit to soy. Plus there's the estrogens debate.
    Soy protein really is worthless if you are trying to gain mass or even significant results in body building..

You must be vegan if you have not tried anything other than soy based protein powders.. I really wish that I could say otherwise, but IMO there is no good protein for a vegan other than legumes and that is just not enough..

Same thing as with the possibility of a B-12 deficiency.. That's just a common thing that goes with the territory of not eating meaty stuffs..

Quote Originally Posted by Zapruder View Post
    Stay away from soy!!!!

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/08/2009 6:04pm

Style: Gongfu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Thanks for the posts. It costs somewhere around $10.

I'm not a vegan and not currently vegetarian, but I like the idea of eating lower on the food chain.

I was not aware of differences between proteins except for which amino acids they contain. I'll have to look into the soy thing. Besides the estrogen what's wrong with soy? Will my breasts go away or will I be stacked like Meatloaf?

Posted On:
    6/08/2009 6:12pm

Style: Mixed Martial Arts

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    From what I understand, Whey Protein has the best bioavailability, and so is more readily absorbed by your body.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast