Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Flyweight

Posted On:
    5/31/2009 11:27pm

supporting member
     Style: BJJ, MT, MMA, CQB

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I'm a pretty small guy, so I'm not really looking for a big rambo style blade - I think 5" or so blade length should be long enough. Pricewise, no more than $50-75. I am pretty sold on the SOG I listed unless someone sees a problem with it or a blade that would be much better for the price. (can get it for around $50).
    :Determined:
    HTFU and join Bullshido on Fitocracy!
    http://ftcy.co/tBAxyj

Shime Waza Test Dummy

Posted On:
    6/01/2009 12:56am

Join us... or die
     Style: StrikeyGrappling & WW2-fu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Money View Post
    I'm a pretty small guy, so I'm not really looking for a big rambo style blade - I think 5" or so blade length should be long enough. Pricewise, no more than $50-75. I am pretty sold on the SOG I listed unless someone sees a problem with it or a blade that would be much better for the price. (can get it for around $50).
    Oh no, the SOG Seal Pup or perhaps the Cold Steel SRK are right there as great survival knives, not too big but big enough & the price is right.
    Sounds like you've got your heart set on a great knife! Now go get it!!!
    "Judo is a study of techniques with which you may kill if you wish to kill, injure if you wish to injure, subdue if you wish to subdue, and, when attacked, defend yourself" - Jigoro Kano (1889)
    ***Was this quote "taken out of context"?***

"The judoist has no time to allow himself a margin for error, especially in a situation upon which his or another person's very life depends...."
    ~ The Secret of Judo (Jiichi Watanabe & Lindy Avakian), p.19

"Hope is not a method... nor is enthusiasm."
    ~ Brigadier General Gordon Toney

Shime Waza Test Dummy

Posted On:
    6/01/2009 1:14am

Join us... or die
     Style: StrikeyGrappling & WW2-fu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    As I was saying, though, you might want to think about a small knife & hatchet combo:
    Mora 2000

& Wetterlings Small Axe

If you look at Ebay, you may find this combo for around $70 or $80 (considering S&H, too) & you'll be closer to two tools that are better made for the job than only one that will do each job at best well, at worst a mediocre job.

Consider this: having two tools for two different jobs will make things easier for you, and will save time in the long run. Plus, not many bigger knives will do what a small knife can do, but a small axe can do what a big knife can do, so it can reasonably pull double duty for what you need the big knife for and perform as a small axe or hatchet.

Just think about it.
    Last edited by Jim_Jude; 6/01/2009 1:18am at .
    "Judo is a study of techniques with which you may kill if you wish to kill, injure if you wish to injure, subdue if you wish to subdue, and, when attacked, defend yourself" - Jigoro Kano (1889)
    ***Was this quote "taken out of context"?***

"The judoist has no time to allow himself a margin for error, especially in a situation upon which his or another person's very life depends...."
    ~ The Secret of Judo (Jiichi Watanabe & Lindy Avakian), p.19

"Hope is not a method... nor is enthusiasm."
    ~ Brigadier General Gordon Toney

Posted On:
    6/01/2009 5:02am

Style: 9mm/Judo/BJJ/MT

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Robstafarian View Post
    Would that be this? This is the version of same with a partially serrated edge (which might be more useful when camping, I have no idea).
    Yup, that's the one. I sold off my old one which looked just like that but not serrated. I wish I still had it. Best full tang blade I've ever owned overall.
    "Intelligence is nothing more than discussing things with others. Limitless wisdom comes of this." - 山本 常朝

Posted On:
    6/01/2009 11:22am

Style: None

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Money View Post
    To follow up on my previous post, here are links to the smaller versions of the knives I linked when I responded to zaohu:
    1. Smaller KA-BAR, Plain Edge
    2. Smaller KA-BAR, Partially Serrated Edge

The SOG Seal Pup is available from the previously linked vendor here.

In case Jim_Jude has interested you in small axes, here are some from the same vendor:
    1. Gerber Sport Axe
    2. Gerber Camp Axe

I can't comment on the quality of the items, but I will attest that the vendor is top notch.

Note for those of you who've missed my numerous disclaimers in other Armory posts: I'm not a shill for Bud's Gun Shop; I just use the site as a reference because it's easy to find items very quickly (and their prices are typically among the best).
    Last edited by Robstafarian; 6/01/2009 11:24am at .

Posted On:
    6/01/2009 3:18pm

Style: 9mm/Judo/BJJ/MT

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Axes are great, but being the avid backpacker I am I would honestly never take one. They're just too much weight. I'd rather have a strong blade and hammer it through what I'm cutting with a large branch or something. The less weight you can carry, the better. Its a lot more important than you think. Tons of items you might think you need that you don't.
    "Intelligence is nothing more than discussing things with others. Limitless wisdom comes of this." - 山本 常朝

Posted On:
    6/01/2009 5:17pm

Join us... or die
     Style: MMA, functional JKD

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Those Gerber axes are excellent, and suprisingly light. DON'T get one of the models with a knife or saw stashed in the handle - its kind of cool but they'll slide out during heavy use.
    "You know what I like about you, William? You like guns AND meditation."
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12