Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst 1234 5678 ... LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/21/2004 10:00am

Style: Muay Thai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Well, I do agree that some of the ukemi you do in aikido is too flashy and impractical though. I remember taking these huge breakfalls in order to make a demonstration look better. It was fun at the time, but I look back at it and wonder why I ever got caught up in that stuff. I've since given up aikido to try other arts, but I don't necessarily regret all the time I spent practicing it.

Merry Christmas Bitch

Posted On:
    1/21/2004 10:02am

Join us... or die
     Style: Canadian Shidokan

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Aikido's standing evasive footwork is excellent.

Welterweight

Posted On:
    1/21/2004 10:15am

supporting member
     Style: Yoseikan Budo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Yep the footwork is great but if you haven't trained against a full speed readjusting oponent you still get screwed the first few times you face those odds.

of course now that I'm getting used to these odds my partners get a bit frustrated if I go in the non-conflict mindset and just avoid being hit without exchanging blows and go pass them to 'escape' :-)
    Martial Arts is like sex, if you over complicate it with exotic sounding names, theories and principles, you end up fucking yourself in the ass. -Ronin69

Professor of Chaos

Posted On:
    1/21/2004 10:38am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    LolodesBois,

Good comments and I agree. I've heard some good things about Yoseikan Budo.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/21/2004 10:39am

Style: Delusional Idiocy

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    aikido's standing evasive footwork is the no. one reason i'm into it at all! Thing is, ive never taken issue with how the ukemi waza has been taught to me (aikido iwama by the way)

Lightweight

Posted On:
    1/21/2004 10:42am

supporting member
     Style: Various JMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Budd, please show me these tricks! I am most curious...

Yoseikan is one of the good things to come out of the diversification of aikido. they look at many different aspects of fighting, and they know their stuff.

Lightweight

Posted On:
    1/21/2004 10:48am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    2 different approaches SMF.

If you ever get a chance to train with Ellis, he will be able to give his reasons for taking ukemi the ways he does. If yours works for you, thats good by me.

Professor of Chaos

Posted On:
    1/21/2004 10:54am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Also, another good aikido group is the Jiyushinkai Aiki group, based out of Arizona and founded by Chuck Clark. Their stuff mainly comes from Tomiki aikido (Shodokan, based on joining aikido and judo) and I'm told they have some excellent groundwork in their curriculum.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/21/2004 12:20pm

Style: japanese jujutsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Regarding the 5 training methods Ellis designed, they sound pretty close to xingyi's 5 elements (not surprising, last I saw him say anything about xingyi, he said he was training it about 3 hours/day).

He uses a slightly different nomenclature, but I'll chime in a tad (Tadzio or Jenfucius might as well; corrections and further explanation are welcomed):

1) piquan -- splitting fist. Essentially trains a circle in the vertical. It trains down power much like cuts with the jo or bokken do. For extra credit, it also trains some fascinating spiral energies. Bar none, it's my favorite piece of xingyiquan. It trains some fascinating throws, locks, and hits (its power is surprising; it *looks* like you're hitting downward, but I've had much better experiences with it driving *back* and down).

2) bengquan -- crushing fist. Fundamentally, it's a powerful straight punch (metaphorically, it's described as an arrow shot out of a bow). It's not one of my favorites.

3) zuanquan -- drilling fist. It looks like an uppercut, but it trains redirection of an initial attack and issuing power upwards. Furthermore, its initial storage phase makes for some elegant throws.

4) paoquan -- cannon fist. More than the others, IMO, it trains obvious short, explosive power, ostensibly in the inside-outside direction.

5) hengquan -- crossing fist. In my experience, this one is hard, Hard, HARD to generate adequate power with. If it didn't complement some prior training, I probably never would've seen its usefulness for various counters.

Ellis once wrote something like, "xingyi is the art of kuzushi." While I'd never thought of that myself, I think it's accurate but a tad impoverished. I think it'd be more descriptive to call xingyi "the art of kuzushi by taking the other guys space."

Lightweight

Posted On:
    1/21/2004 12:28pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Fragbot, I appreciate your input.

I know he derived a lot of those excersise from xingyi. I would have to see those that you describe in order to see how they fall into the stuff I was shown, but I can place some of it from your descriptions.
Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst 1234 5678 ... LastLast