Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 7891011
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/25/2004 5:40am

Style: Tao of George

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Budd thanks. Have a melting pot of various arts that military and civilians bring the class. Most do not want the very formal traditional approach. Quite frankly after of number of years in the marital arts I don't want to teach in the formal manner. However will not go the NHB/MMA direction (towards the entertainment BS that is the WWE). Nor do I want to be called "coach", way too sprot oriented.

By the way, I use the term Sun,Moon and Stars to illustrate the application of a technique. Sun is the original intention, based on energy received from UKE, Moon is taking UKE energy where he/she wants, most of the time that is 180 degrees opposite the original line of the technique. The Stars indicates any direction to include back along the original line of attack, should the moon direction fail or be thwarted/countered. Hits all along the way.

Me

Professor of Chaos

Posted On:
    1/25/2004 4:41pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I think the only similarity that MMA/NHB competitions really have to the WWE and its ilk have to do with the marketing of outrageous personalities and ring culture in general. In terms of how these guys train, I think they have a lot to offer and have gone a long way towards making lots of martial artists smarter about their approach to training. I don't have anything against coaches or people that approach combatives as sports. I have more respect (especially, being an aikidoka) for folks that put their training into practice in a sportive environment than for those that endlessly wax poetic about ki and the spirit of the universe (way too much needless self-congratulations in that environment, IMO).

At the same time, I can understand how someone doesn't want to view their practice as sport (especially how some sports-oriented coaches and practitioners only worry about winning matches to the exclusion of all else). I don't really view my own training as preparation for sports, but I'm pretty quick to stick up for those that do.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/26/2004 3:27am

Style: Tao of George

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Yes agreed. However, most of my students are more concerned with non-sport use of martial arts/methods. Sport for them is football, basketball or hockey : ). I also respect those that put it on the line, wish I was quite a bit younger. I only wax poetic on Thursdays of a blue moon month. Other times I loathe poetic waxing : ))

Me

Professor of Chaos

Posted On:
    1/26/2004 9:28am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Well said, George, just stay away from the Moons of Jupiter! :p
Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 7891011