Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Sorry for the continued derail, but I can't resist

YouTube - Glory Glory Tottenham Hotspur
    Now darkness comes; you don't know if the whales are coming. - Royce Gracie

KosherKickboxer has t3h r34l chi sao

In De Janerio, in blackest night,
    Luta Livre flees the fight,
    Behold Maeda's sacred tights;
    Beware my power... Blue Lantern's light!

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    6/10/2009 11:23am

supporting member
     Style: Bartitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Uyenishi was also brought to London by E.W. Barton-Wright and, like Tani, he did double-duty as a Bartitsu Club instructor and music hall challenge wrestler.

Incidentally, Barton-Wright had initially brought in two other jujitsuka (known to posterity only as K. Tani, who was Yukio Tani's older brother, and S. Yamamoto) but they returned to Japan after a couple of months, apparently because they hadn't realized that they would be asked to wrestle in music halls (and didn't like the idea). There was all kinds of newspaper speculation about that at the time.

Yukio Tani evidently had no problem with wrestling in the halls, so he stayed on in London, and Uyenishi arrived shortly thereafter.

Taro Miyake, who defeated Tani, later teamed up with him in opening the Japanese School of Jiujitsu, as Sadakazu Uyenishi teamed with Akitaro Ohno at the Golden Square dojo. There seems to have been some rivalry between Uyenishi and Tani.

Almost all of James Shortt's research in this connection has been independently confirmed, but there are certain details that he can't/won't substantiate.

Baron von DD, if you're seriously interested in this stuff I'd strongly suggest making contact with Graham Noble and also with the Bartitsu Society.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/10/2009 12:33pm

Style: Jerry-Bashing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by DdlR View Post
    Baron von DD, if you're seriously interested in this stuff I'd strongly suggest making contact with Graham Noble and also with the Bartitsu Society.
    Thanks DdlR, I will. I'm between projects at the moment, and my aim for the summer is to produce two substantive proposals for my publisher. I've already written one (on the Stratford Jubilee of 1769 - sod all to do with martial arts), and am currently considering doing something on the music hall wrestling scene in the late nineteenth/early twentieth century. I am by no means a martial arts historian, as my interests are in British popular culture and popular entertainment rather than the history of any particular fighting styles or techniques. First and foremost I'm looking for a strong story to tell with colorful characters who can be used as a lens to examine other issues.

This is how I first came to hear of Bartitsu in fact. I was looking for something to write about and it piqued my interest, only to discover a wealth of work had already been undertaken by the Bartitsu society. This is great, of course, although it defeated my intentions as I always like to do that kind of research myself, otherwise it's cheating.

Expect plenty of questions to be coming this way!

Cheers

EDIT (for WarWheel): CFC, CFC, celery, celery
    Last edited by BaronVonDingDong; 6/10/2009 12:35pm at .

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    6/10/2009 1:07pm

supporting member
     Style: Bartitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by BaronVonDingDong View Post
    This is great, of course, although it defeated my intentions as I always like to do that kind of research myself, otherwise it's cheating.
    I hear you.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12