Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Featherweight

Posted On:
    4/28/2009 9:33pm

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

York Karate Do

The style is goju ryu. The sensei was very knowledgeable about various practical applications of basic techniques. Strikes and blocks are trained around striking pressure points. Bunkai is central to the kata training and heavy emphasis on visualization. The content of the training is very traditional all movements are taught in japanese. There is no free sparring or point sparring.

The 'dojo' is the studio at premier fitness club so it is not very traditional. There is bowing at the beginning and end of classes. There is no lining up at the begining of classes. The weridest thing is that because they are situated at a fitness club not everyone wears a dogi and obi. There are gym ladies who just wear the bra thing and tight pants.They do have a ranking system that is on there website.

Also you have to be a member of the gym which is 30$ a month (which means you have access to the entire gym and pool) and pay for the karate which is an extra 35$. The dojo is at the gym because the sensei wants to keep the costs down and believes that people should not have to pay an extravagent amount of money for karate.

I'm am still in the process of deciding whether or not to go back. Please comment, discuss or give me some advice.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/29/2009 9:40pm

Style: Judo & BJJ hacker

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Do a search on "Dillman". I think that he's the "no touch knock out" guy.

From another thread, I thought that I read that you were moving to St. Catherines for University in September. So I never checked into the GoJu dojo up near Hwy 7 and Yonge. Do you still want an answer?

You could still check out where I train - www.revmma.com . Maybe they can set you up with a four month deal.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    4/29/2009 10:27pm

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I am going to st catharines next year however, i am looking for a place to train for the mean time. a place that doesn't require me to sign a contact. do they teach karate at the place? because i can't find any information about it on the website.

12th level logic wielder

Posted On:
    4/29/2009 10:28pm

Style: BJJ, judo, rapier

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Read this. The 10 rating for striking instruction is probably very wrong. The 1 rating for atmosphere...it may not be great, but what makes it so incredibly terrible?
    [ petterhaggholm.net | blog | essays ]
    [ self defence: general thoughts | bjj: “don’t go to the ground”? ]
    “The plural of anecdote is anecdotes, not data.”

Featherweight

Posted On:
    4/30/2009 4:41pm

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Why would it probably be very wrong?
    "10: Superior excellence including A-level competitors/instructors"
    The sensei is an excellent A-level instructor. Striking is trained around the knowledge of pressure points. Both the content and instruction is superior.

Before telling me i'm wrong perhaps it is better to review the rating system yourself and check out the place.

The atmosphere is a 1 perhaps it was the night that I went but 90% of the people in the class were "gym ladies". They had a huge conversation about Gis being ugly, embarrassing to wear and they would never wear one. People who were not in the class would walk in and out of the studio freely and speak loudly. It is not that all of the people in the class were "douches" or anything of the sort. But the atmosphere and attitude of the people towards the tradition and art of Karate was horrible.

12th level logic wielder

Posted On:
    4/30/2009 4:50pm

Style: BJJ, judo, rapier

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    10 means world-class. Who are the high-level competitors to have come out of the gym? What are the full-contact championships they have done well in? This is not about your personal opinion of this guy’s abilities, but whether he has demonstrably either proved his ability as a competitor, or produced such fighters.
    Last edited by Petter; 4/30/2009 10:34pm at .
    [ petterhaggholm.net | blog | essays ]
    [ self defence: general thoughts | bjj: “don’t go to the ground”? ]
    “The plural of anecdote is anecdotes, not data.”

Featherweight

Posted On:
    4/30/2009 9:02pm

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    um no.. it clearly says both competitors / INSTRUCTORS...

1) not all dojos are integrated with sport martial arts (not that there is anything wrong with it)... thus he does not need to prove himself a world class competitor or produce them... 2) i'm sure i mentioned in the review there is no sparring at this dojo only traditional training of kata 3) the instructions did not say they had to produce full contact championship fighters to receive a 10 4) how can it not be based on my personal opinion if i am the one reviewing? i think you meant it is not based on my personal criterias which, if you read the instructions you will know that i am not and it is you who is asking me to review according to YOUR criterias.

anyways i am pleased with my first review of a dojo.. and if you are so terribly upset by it.. you should refine the instructions and choose more user friend pharsing.. also minimize the use of vague descriptions..

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/02/2009 6:58am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by abyss View Post
    I am going to st catharines next year however, i am looking for a place to train for the mean time. a place that doesn't require me to sign a contact. do they teach karate at the place? because i can't find any information about it on the website.
    I won't share my opinion on the age old pressure points debate.

But I did get the name of that GoJu Ryu doju. It's called Academy of Martial Arts, and it's on Yonge street near Elgin Mills. That's a lot farther north than I first thought, but judging by the guys that I know, you are better off with that than with Dillman.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/02/2009 7:09am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by abyss View Post
    ... 2) i'm sure i mentioned in the review there is no sparring at this dojo only traditional training of kata ....
    How can Striking Instruction be a 10, when Aliveness is a 1?

Do students ever actually strike anything that moves or strike back?

Do students punch anything other than air?

Posted On:
    5/02/2009 8:37am

Join us... or die
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by 2groggy View Post
    How can Striking Instruction be a 10, when Aliveness is a 1?

Do students ever actually strike anything that moves or strike back?

Do students punch anything other than air?
    Exactly, This review makes as much sense as a goddamn football bat.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast