Exasperated.

Posted On:
    5/27/2009 1:18pm

supporting member
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by 1point2 View Post
    The first time I went to three grappling schools, someone made a rather blatant homophobic comment in front of--but not directed at--the new guy (me). In two cases it was black belts or instructors, in the third it was noobs.

It irked me, but didn't turn me off to the school as a whole or permanently. It was statistically interesting, though. I know it's anecdotal, but I think the nerdy, hippy-trippy LARPers and mommy-karateka I've known are much less homophobic.
    "Homophobic" comments are unfortunately not uncommon among grapplers; of course they're not uncommon in the entire city I live in. For those saying that grapplers are less homophobic; have you heard a Gracie interviewed.

If anything the machismo and gay bashing is much higher in general.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/27/2009 1:53pm

Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by UpaLumpa View Post
    "Homophobic" comments are unfortunately not uncommon among grapplers; of course they're not uncommon in the entire city I live in. For those saying that grapplers are less homophobic; have you heard a Gracie interviewed.

If anything the machismo and gay bashing is much higher in general.
    Can we clearly differentiate between gay bashing and harmless joking?

Exasperated.

Posted On:
    5/27/2009 1:57pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by han090 View Post
    Can we clearly differentiate between gay bashing and harmless joking?
    I don't know, can you?
    I can.

1% Shark is better than you.

Posted On:
    5/27/2009 1:58pm

supporting memberforum leaderstaff
     Style: BJJ/Shidokan

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I take it all back. GJJ guys are gay-bashers and BJJ guys are love fest fag-hags.

it's all vanity

Posted On:
    5/27/2009 1:58pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Kano-Gracie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by snakerattle79 View Post
    Look around at pro football, baseball, basketball, and boxing. Then tell me where the openly gay athletes are.
    Right here.

If a newcomer (or otherwise unimportant) fighter came out of the closet, he would suddenly find himself with a lack of opponents, and shortly following that he'd lack a career. I really believe that.

If GSP came out, he'd never be able to fight below the Mason-Dixon line and a handful of welterweights would avoid fighting him.

MMA is not ready for an openly gay athlete.

Ad Hominem rocks.

Posted On:
    5/27/2009 1:59pm

supporting member
     Style: BJJ, mma

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I think Dana is more trying to lead by example, as opposed to telling the actual truth on this matter.

And he is giving the casual fans too much credit. The mouth-breathing shiny shirt wearing morons are not exactly known for their tolerance. I think MOST fighters though wouldn't give a ****.

The first guy that comes out is going to have a battle gaining acceptance. But that has always been the way with major sports. It's the price they pay for being brave enough to be the first.
    Last edited by elipson; 5/27/2009 2:02pm at .

Woah. Alex Van Halen got huge.

Posted On:
    5/27/2009 2:40pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Matt Hughes would never take a fight from a gay guy. I can guarantee that, almost certainly. That plus his ricockulously loyal fan base makes me think that there are PLENTY of people who would not be altogether pleased with a gay fighter in the UFC. Not to mention all the fucking hardcore Catholic Brazilians. God love 'em, but they tend to not be the most socially liberal.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sarcastro
    He screams like a little girl as the pain ripples through his arm, shoots up into his brain, and now your dick is hard.

All Out of Bubblegum

Posted On:
    5/27/2009 3:11pm

supporting memberforum leader
     Style: MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    1. There's already been an openly gay athlete in MMA or two, hasn't there? Certainly a lesbian or two.

2. There's a huge difference between dudes going "THAT **** IS SO GAY" and genuine "homophobia"

3. There certainly are macho, overcompensatory grapplers. They'd have to decided if they can deal with grappling with a gay, and if they can't, they need to decide if they can deal with hearing, "What are you, afraid of a queer?" at a press conference.

4. Most marquee fighters in the UFC are public figures - what Dana is really vouching for is the ability to keep the pubilc figures that work for him publically in line.
    There's no choice but to confront you, to engage you, to erase you. I've gone to great lengths to expand my threshold of pain. I will use my mistakes against you. There's no other choice.

Portrait of a BJJer as a Young Man

Posted On:
    5/27/2009 3:14pm

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Gabetuno View Post
    Not to mention all the fucking hardcore Catholic Brazilians. God love 'em, but they tend to not be the most socially liberal.
    I don't know about this. Brazil is really, really gay.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/27/2009 3:17pm

Style: bjj

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Hesperus View Post
    Right here.

If GSP came out, he'd never be able to fight below the Mason-Dixon line and a handful of welterweights would avoid fighting him.
    he's the champ. the handful of welterweights avoiding him would do so to the detriment of their own careers, don't you think? i mean, gay or not, he's got the belt, and they all are fighting to get it. i don't see anyone avoiding him. a dominant champ coming out would be a different situation.

and dana should just come out already. there's only one reason to be so obsessed with gays. and he's got a girl's name. and he wears makeup (so what if everyone on tv does, too?). and, and, and.
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 12 34 LastLast