Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Posted On:
    5/27/2009 10:25am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Dana White Might Be Overcompensating For His Homophobic Slur

http://www.cagepotato.com/video-dana...omophobic-slur

YouTube - Dana White UFC 98 Video Blog - 5/23 Part 1

Instead of releasing a timely, orderly stream of video blogs for UFC 98, Dana White and co. opted to do a couple before the event and then a multi-part epic afterwards. As with most multi-part epics, the majority is forgettable stuff that should have been edited out. But around the eight-minute mark in this video things get interesting when Dana White does an interview with Edge Magazine and claims that everyone from fighters to fans would be totally cool with an openly gay athlete in the UFC.

This is obviously not true, and Dana White knows itís not true. Whatís amazing is not that he says it anyway, but that he thinks pretending to be ignorant of homophobia in the world of menís pro sports is the best way to smooth things over with the gay community. It isnít. Itís blatant pandering, and the effect is actually worse than admitting that the world of MMA would have a tough time adjusting to an openly gay fighter.

Check Dana Whiteís reasoning for claiming that MMA would welcome a gay fighter with a big, burly hug and a kiss on the cheek: a) grappling is kind of homoerotic to start with, so dudes who do it are cool with gays, and b) the fighters in MMA are all really nice guys. And the fans, that 18-34 male demographic that is so revered for its tolerance and acceptance of all things gay? They wouldnít care either.

As an attempt to placate the people he offended with his Loretta Hunt blog, this is a miserable failure because it asks them to go along with a story that they know, from experience, to be total bullshit. These are the people who canít get married in most of the U.S., canít join the military without keeping part of their identity a closely-guarded secret, and White is telling them that the UFC and its fans would accept them with a good-natured slap on the ass.

Look around at pro football, baseball, basketball, and boxing. Then tell me where the openly gay athletes are. There are undoubtedly gay men in all those sports, and probably at this very moment in the UFC as well, but they know the sporting world isnít ready to accept them yet.

If Dana White really wants to ingratiate himself to the gay community he shouldnít try to sell them on the lie that the UFC is somehow more accepting than the rest of the sports world and mainstream American culture in general. He should instead tell them that thatís the version of the UFC heíd like to have someday Ė the version where no one cares who you sleep with after the fight (even if itís Jenna Jameson) as long as you deliver inside the cage. But thatís not the world we live in just yet, and no oneís going to be grateful to Dana White for pretending that it is.

Posted On:
    5/27/2009 10:54am

Style: Gym drifter

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    WTF? This thread is so off...
    Quote Originally Posted by MrBadGuy
    The Dog kid's mom is parked next to me in the parking lot. He runs up and asks me a question. "Hey dude, where did you learn that stuff?"

"That was grappling. Real MMA."

"Where do I go for that?"

I was a little shocked. Sure, he changed sides quickly, but I guess even a dog can realize it has more in common with the wolf than with the shephard.

I give him the names of some BJJ schools in the area, and we go our separate ways.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/27/2009 11:05am

Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I think he makes somewhat of a point about grappling to be honest. Then again, wrestling disagrees with me.

I agree completely though.

Dana White is just bare faced lying here. Is he not familiar with Brock "I don't like gays, write that down" Lesnar?

I honestly had no problem with him using the term ******, since he just meant it as a common vernacular term for bad, and I completely believed his apology. But this kind of does bother me.

I guess he's just trying to sell them company, and fears saying that people would have a problem would get him bad press. But honestly, I think he'd probably get more good press for being honest.

1% Shark is better than you.

Posted On:
    5/27/2009 11:16am

supporting memberforum leaderstaff
     Style: BJJ/Shidokan

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I think the OP is overcompensating for his homophobia. Grappling with gay guys does not bother me.

On a more serious note he is right about one thing. Grapplers are probably the least homophobic guys in the world. I think he may be giving the casual fans too much credit though.
    Last edited by WhiteShark; 5/27/2009 11:19am at .

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/27/2009 11:25am

Style: bum rush karate

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by snakerattle79 View Post
    grappling is kind of homoerotic to start with, so dudes who do it are cool with gays
    I think he makes somewhat of a point about grappling to be honest.
    I am so tired of hearing that grappling is gay.

Yeah, you roll around with sweaty guys. So what if thrusting your hips into the other guy is a fundamental movement in the sport? Yeah, the triangle choke is basically sticking your crotch in another guys face. But come on, there is nothing sexual about trying to break a dude's arm or leg. Choking... okay, I've heard of kinky choking, but thats not what we do.

IMO, making homophobes uncomfortable is just part of the overall BJJ metagame. Grapplers aren't gay, they're strategic.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/27/2009 11:31am

Style: Muay Thai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Somebody needs a hug.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/27/2009 11:49am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by atom View Post
    I am so tired of hearing that grappling is gay.

Yeah, you roll around with sweaty guys. So what if thrusting your hips into the other guy is a fundamental movement in the sport? Yeah, the triangle choke is basically sticking your crotch in another guys face. But come on, there is nothing sexual about trying to break a dude's arm or leg. Choking... okay, I've heard of kinky choking, but thats not what we do.

IMO, making homophobes uncomfortable is just part of the overall BJJ metagame. Grapplers aren't gay, they're strategic.
    No-one here said grappling was gay.

We said homophobic people would be unlikely to take part in grappling.

Posted On:
    5/27/2009 11:51am

supporting member
     Style: Taijiquan/Shuai-Chiao/BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I bet younger people (the fans) are less homophobic than their parents. It's a generational shift. That isn't to say that there is no anti-gay sentiment. That would be ridiculous.

Posted On:
    5/27/2009 11:52am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    This gives "ground and pound" a whole new meaning.

Posted On:
    5/27/2009 12:12pm

Join us... or die
     Style: 剛 and 柔

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by WhiteShark View Post
    On a more serious note he is right about one thing. Grapplers are probably the least homophobic guys in the world.
    The first time I went to three grappling schools, someone made a rather blatant homophobic comment in front of--but not directed at--the new guy (me). In two cases it was black belts or instructors, in the third it was noobs.

It irked me, but didn't turn me off to the school as a whole or permanently. It was statistically interesting, though. I know it's anecdotal, but I think the nerdy, hippy-trippy LARPers and mommy-karateka I've known are much less homophobic.
    What a disgrace it is for a man to grow old without ever seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable. -Xenophon's Socrates
Page 1 of 4 1 234 LastLast