223522 Bullies, 4299 online  
  • Register
Our Sponsors:

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 12 3 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

This is all I do: girls, photography and BJJ...

Posted On:
    7/30/2009 9:37am

Join us... or die
     Style: KeyboardHero/CameraJutsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Well, I guess it is a bit of both.
    Since I started in Brazil I gained about 1kg of muscle mass and this sort of pushed me over the edge. I could make the cut but weigh ins are 10 minutes before the fight and I just feel so much better not having to do the cut. The last tournament I felt gassed and weak already stepping on the mat, this time I could have gone another 10 minutes without any problem. Sure the guy was way stronger than me, but I rather like it like this.
    Sometimes you lose and sometimes the other guy wins.

At this point I don't owe anybody an explenation.

Schools I trained at:
    Lotus Club Cetepe Liberdade Sao Paulo
    Renzo Gracie NYC
    New York Combat Sambo

Posted On:
    8/10/2009 12:59pm

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

M.C. doing some submission grappling in Hamburg

This weekend I went to Hamburg in order to fight at a Submission grappling tournament. I weighed in 1 lbs above the lower end of the weight class, not so good given that the weight class is 21,5 lbs broad. This means I have to face people with up to 21lbs on me (I ended up with only 17 lbs as max. and the lightest guy had around 12-13 lbs on me).
    This is my first submission grappling tournament, all the others, were, as you know, bjj.

First round: I get a free pass

Second round:

YouTube - M.C. Subg. Hamburg 1st fight

I was nervous, very nervous. I try to jump guard, I slip, slap the mat, he rushes, trying to pass me quick, I recover, keep him away with my left knee, drag his arm, get the right leg over and arm bar him. 11 seconds total.

Third round:

YouTube - M.C. Subg. Hamburg 2nd fight

I jump guard again. I try an arm triangle choke/neck crank. The guy slams me, the ref calls a break and gives him a point deduction (no slamming above knee level), unfortunately I let go of the choke and can't get my shoulder under his chin again, I let go of the sub in order to save energy and not waste it on stupid stuff.
    I try to work the high guard, sweep him into mount but he scrambles well and I miss the chance for the omoplata @1:36. We move towards the end of the mat, I get the armbar but the ref calls it a break, bad reffing.
    I try for the arm triangle again and sweep him again into mount, once more I can't keep the position. I try for a triangle but he has his arm in, I let go. Once more I go for the sweep, this time I try for the armbar he defends and stops over, I switch for a toe hold. He kicks me in the face with the free foot, I let go of the toe hold (3:05). Again nothing from the ref. We scramble and I try for a knee bar (I'm not high enough), he defends again, I settle for close guard. Again another armbar attempt, but again no success. He tries to stack me, I push his arm over and go for the head and arm choke. I take my time, the choke is deep, I wait for it to work, he taps. I'm in the final

Final round:
    YouTube - M.C. Subg. Hamburg 3rd fight - Final

The final was a disaster. Once again, I thought it was a good idea to not play guard.

I gave up my back twice, unacceptable. The first time I recovered, also tried to submit him, since he crossed his legs when he got my back(I injured him so bad he could not fight the ultimate open division but his foot slipped a split second before he taped). The second time, I forget to properly post my left foot in order to block his hip when I reach for the leg. Stupid beginner mistake that cost me the tournament.

Ultimate open division:

YouTube - M.C. Subg. Hamburg ultimate open division

No weight or skill division, everybody in one pool
    I get a guy who just took 3rd in a weight class above me, in the advanced (there was no expert div.) division.
    I Jump guard again, I try the arm triangle, I try to sweep, he opens my legs, I try to Kimura, he gets up, I try for a triangle, and the rest is just a matter of time...

Schools I trained at:
    Renzo Gracie NYC
    New York Combat Sambo

Posted On:
    8/10/2009 1:54pm

Style: Judo Sandbagger

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Class act MC. I think I see real improvement from the last one. Did that slam he did on you wind you a bit? (Just incase we meet at a throwdown one day.)

Posted On:
    8/10/2009 2:03pm

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Thanks, I guess training a lot pays off after all.

I had some nice blue/purple stars in my field of vision for a few seconds after the slam but I know how to fall (reduce impact) and I know when to focus and when to go cry.

Schools I trained at:
    Renzo Gracie NYC
    New York Combat Sambo

Portrait of a BJJer as a Young Man

Posted On:
    8/10/2009 2:48pm

Join us... or die
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by M.C. View Post
    Well, I guess it is a bit of both.
    Since I started in Brazil I gained about 1kg of muscle mass and this sort of pushed me over the edge. I could make the cut but weigh ins are 10 minutes before the fight and I just feel so much better not having to do the cut. The last tournament I felt gassed and weak already stepping on the mat, this time I could have gone another 10 minutes without any problem. Sure the guy was way stronger than me, but I rather like it like this.
    LOLOLOL. What happened? The soda and gummy bear diet didn't work out for you?

Portrait of a BJJer as a Young Man

Posted On:
    8/10/2009 3:01pm

Join us... or die
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Nice work. I think you just got fatted in the subg. Next time you'll show them all!

Posted On:
    9/13/2009 10:07pm

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I was looking for some tournament and I ended up with this fight show RoundRobin thing. It was supposed to be a 4 ppl. format but in the end it was just 3 ppl. The weight was 155lbs. I knew that both opponents would have way more experience. But I just wanted to get a few more rolls in, work on my mental game etc.

First fight, I failed to get the triangle and I wanted to save energy because I thought I would have 2 more fights, thus I did not try to break his posture like I usually do. My knee bar attempt was not that good... see for yourself

YouTube - M.C. LongIsland FightNight I

Second fight, after watching him against the other guy I decided to go for a "tap or get tapped" strategy. I planed for a rolling knee bar, he was not letting me set it up, I tried for the flying leg scissor, ended up in deep half guard, sweepted we roll I have the set up for the heel hock, the ref yells to not heel hook. I let go and think about an ankle lock and he drops back and heel hocks me in return and gets the win... no comment on the ref.

YouTube - M.C. LongIsland FightNight II

I don't know but both guys looked way more than 155lbs and one guy admitted to walk 164lbs, I think he walks 170lbs but what ever...

On a side note, I was able to meet some of our fine BS members, squerlli who had a fight him self, mr. LoL Ke?po, LIGuy his brother and Lampa, who was so nice to give me and squerlli a ride to a train station of the LIRR and thus we could get to the after party at my house in time...

PS: Never give squerlli your video cam, he thinks he is a kid from the hood and the cam is a gun and thus he keeps holding it sideways...
    Last edited by M.C.; 9/14/2009 8:41am at . Reason: I suck at being a spelling nazi!

Schools I trained at:
    Renzo Gracie NYC
    New York Combat Sambo

Thumbs up!

Posted On:
    9/14/2009 2:31am

supporting member
     Style: Judo,MT,Boxing,BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Wow, sucks about the heel hook incident. Should've called the ref on it, in my opinion. Maybe get off with a NC or something.

Posted On:
    9/14/2009 3:05am

Style: MMA, Yoga

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    It's been great watching you grow over the past year M.C. Keep it up!

How did Squerlli go in his fight?

Posted On:
    9/14/2009 8:49am

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Squerlli did quite good, the other kid was fast as lightning and had solid power in his punches. Squerlli had some trouble finding his rhythm and unfortunately there was nobody to corner him (though they said they will provide somebody for him...), which is a bad thing for boxing. He was a little to passive and gave the other guy too much room to play his game and got behind on points. In the second round he got better and I thought he was about to turn this around, he rocked the other fighter but he injured his right hand and had to give up.

Schools I trained at:
    Renzo Gracie NYC
    New York Combat Sambo
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 12 3 LastLast