Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Yours truly

Posted On:
    6/15/2009 2:57am

Business Class Supporting Member
     PDS Rifles Style: Univ. Florida Kickboxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Very nice. You overpowered your opponent and your sheer skill was much much better. Very impressed with how many KO's you've done. I've been training full-contact rules and I'm amazed on how much I forgot about leg kick (below-waist) fights, so please take my advice with a grain of salt. I am still very much unenlightened so everything is goin to be from my POV.

I think this is a matter of style, but here is something I saw:
    disclaimer is I subscribe to a more traditional western kickboxing style. I think you keep a lot of weight on the rear leg. While I found that useful in throwing nukem-thai kicks (stepping in), I found the more traditional 50-50 stance very useful in lateral movements and boxing in close. As a fellow southpaw I thought you would appreciate this, but probably less useful for you with your mucho reach advantage, especially in this fight. Needless to say adopting 50-50 ish stance you need to be less square to opponent.

Another thing I noticed is your upper body looks a bit tense. Now, I realize this is an MT fight but its just something I noticed from my point of view. I think you could really loosen up and use your punches more. Your opponent really lacked dicipline with his guard, relative to you; perhaps you could use this to your advantage if you weren't so tense.

One of my coaches tells me after good checks and blocks always a good idea to immediately counter with the arm on the side of the block. I don't think this works that well unless I'm inside my opponent, but then again he wouldn't be hitting me right? But I think it'd be awesome piece of advice for you. Especially later in the fight you were really blocking his slow kicks. He dropped his hands then a lot and you could just lean in with easy punches.

Last bit I would like to ask you about is a tactical bit. Was this a 1-round fight? Recently I've been working on my defense and counter-fighting so I can use my cardio; I try to block and slip as much as I can my first round and refrain from throwing anything more than a simple kick-punch combo. In round 2, I go all out and it gets much easier and gives me more time to think. In round 3, his hands are starting to drop and mine aren't (even though I am tired) which helps my short ass go for head shots..

First MT fight and its a no headgear match. I admire your guts.. kraaaazzzyyyyy
    I really enjoyed watching it. I bet the crowd loved you too.

PS: thanks for some southpaw thread, I'm going to try and incorporate your advice as well as replies next sparring session. I hope I can do the same for you.
    Last edited by dwkfym; 6/15/2009 2:59am at .

Posted On:
    6/15/2009 5:29am

Style: MMA, Yoga

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Thanks for your post mate, in Australia + NZ almost all of our amateur fights are done without padding, ends up with more KOs and blood so the crowd likes it. If i'd asked for it they would have given me elbows allowed too.

I wouldn't start off slow in round one of your fight if i were you, most 3 rd fights are won or lost in the first round so you can't afford to be playing catch up. Even with 5 round fights it is a bad idea, the only reason some western fighters are doing it is because they're copying the Thais. And the only reason the Thai's do it is because of all the betting involved in Thailand, they go slow the first round so that people can decide who to place their bets on.

Your coach is giving decent advice with that countering stuff, unfortunately with heaps of adrenaline your brain doesn't register a lot of things. My coach was yelling out "check 1, 2", "check 1, 2!" and i still didn't do it. Same deal with the tensed shoulders, fighting is pretty stressful.

I alter my foot weighting depending on what i want to throw, with weight on the back foot you can shoot off jams and leg checks much faster. I was fighting very passively that night, my next one i'll be more aggressive and hopefully show you guys some improved boxing/clinch.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/15/2009 7:56am

Style: Muay Thai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    in Australia + NZ almost all of our amateur fights are done without padding
    In QLD. In Vic, they make you wear shin pads for your first few and it's terrible. Some shows end up with at least half the card as shin-pad fights. It's not fair for the people who've paid good money for tickets or and it doesn't do the fighters any favours either, in my opinion.

Posted On:
    6/15/2009 8:04am

Style: MMA, Yoga

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Ah i just assumed everywhere was as awesome as QLD :P. Pad fights can be a lot of fun to watch too, they are also often cheaper to see. John Wayne Parr had a show some of our guys fought on a few weeks back; 24 fights on the card for less than the price of one of our ones.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/15/2009 8:20am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Muay Thai is big enough in QLD that you can have all amateur (like JWP's shows) and all pro fights (like Evo). Can't do that in most states, except on a rare big event. Most shows here will run from first timers at the start of the night to experienced pros at the end. Tickets will still cost a good $50, at least.

Yours truly

Posted On:
    6/15/2009 9:44am

Business Class Supporting Member
     PDS Rifles Style: Univ. Florida Kickboxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Sang View Post
    I wouldn't start off slow in round one of your fight if i were you, most 3 rd fights are won or lost in the first round so you can't afford to be playing catch up. Even with 5 round fights it is a bad idea, the only reason some western fighters are doing it is because they're copying the Thais. And the only reason the Thai's do it is because of all the betting involved in Thailand, they go slow the first round so that people can decide who to place their bets on.
    Weird. I've only done 1 round matches in competition, but What I've seen in here in FLA most experienced guys coming in almost always go easy round 1, kill round 2, and kill round 3. I've been told its the "superhighway" of winning most amatuer fights, tricky being surviving 1st round without killing your fight. I however have seen what you are talking about, losing in first round and never catching up; seemed to me most of these guys were coming in 0-0 and not seen again.

BUT! like you said. you guys have no shinpads, no headgear, maybe you're completely right. Knees to the head allowed? I might start a thread on it to seek some advice on tactics.

Quote Originally Posted by Sang View Post
    Same deal with the tensed shoulders, fighting is pretty stressful.
    I gots the same problem. Though, I heard even many world-class fighters have this problem and can make it work. Its been getting better in the past few months though.

Good luck on your next fight!

Middleweight

Posted On:
    6/19/2009 12:00am

supporting member
     Style: Muay Thai & BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    good fight! i like the pace with the constant roundhouses
    "The next one I will take will pay for my loss. Someone has to pay!" ~ The Axe Murderer

STOP POSTING!

Posted On:
    6/19/2009 12:07am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    in NZ we have the option of skipping the shinpads/headgear (i took that option cos i hate that ****)

i wouldnt neccessarily say that going hard in the first is a good/bad idea, but it depends on what kind of fighter you are.

Administrator

Posted On:
    6/19/2009 12:15am

staff
     Style: xingyi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Wow good job Sang.

Posted On:
    6/25/2009 1:10am

Style: BJJ/Zumba

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Hey, man, good fight! You're a machine! Once you get those jitters under control, all enemies shall fear you!

I'd heard something of you competing in MT through various friends/etc but had forgotten about it, was speaking to Obesely and his mentioning your online nick (Sang) rang a bell from days of old!

Good to see you doing well, mate. Best of luck in future fights, might see you around at some point!
    Rowan
    Daniel: I don't know if I know enough karate.

Miyagi: Feeling correct.

Daniel: You sure know how to make a guy feel confident.

Miyagi: You trust the quality of what you know, not quantity.
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 123 4 LastLast