Do you eat breakfast?

Posted On:
    5/29/2009 6:30am

supporting member
     Style: Kitty Pow Pow!!!

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Sang View Post
    Hey Kid, is there any way to train ring awareness other than just doing loads of sparring vs pressure fighters? Rewatched my fight video and i made some really crappy directional decisions, cornered myself a lot of the time when i didn't have to.
    Other than just sparring, I like to do ring movement drills where you and a partner trade focusing on controlling the inside or outside of the ring. Also, working defensive movement while trying to move in close is something I always try to work on, defensively moving around to their back while closing the distance. If you don't do a lot of work in the ring then the latter can be very helpful. It's just when you get in the habit of retreating without offensive strategy that you get in trouble.
    Ranked #9 internationally at 118lbs by WIKBA http://www.womenkickboxing.com/wikba...rch%202009.htm

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/30/2009 9:15am

Style: Judo, Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Man, though I'm not qualified to give advice, I still feel the need to give you kudos. For all the supposed technical inefficiencies, you fought pretty cleanly, and you managed to keep a level head. At the end of the day, you still decimated the other bloke, and you have been given suitable feedback from some insightful people so you may learn for next time. Be happy!

Ahhh, I've taken up western boxing, actually, to make me fitter for Judo... but I'm really loving the technical work as much as the intense cardio. I think I'll be ready to pop my Throwdown cherry by year's end :icon_thum!

Posted On:
    5/30/2009 9:59am

Style: MMA, Yoga

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I'm glad you stuck with the Judo mate, the retention rate of competitive martial arts is so low i wasn't that hopeful. Our bullshido members in this area of the world are growing well, i look forward to getting judowned by you sometime in the next year. Are you learning boxing at UQ too? It seemed like more of a cardio boxing class (which is fine for your goals).

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/31/2009 8:48am

Style: Judo, Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Yeah, at UQ. It's actually pretty solid. That being said, yeah, pretty much cardio. Not that I'm complaining. Our one assembled ring is generally reserved for people who are actually intending to fight in boxing/utilise their boxing for competition (whether this is an actual rule or not, I don't know, but that's what it appears to be).

To be honest, it's great. Nobody is a **** there, whereas at the gym (which I don't haven't been to in awhile), you had a lot of tryhards my age fitting the Douchebag of the Month description, and would just build up their arms like fuckwits, with not a care in the world for legs or core... seems pretty stupid to me. In any case, nobody is a judgmental **** at either boxing or Judo. I dunno if I'll ever actually hit up the weights again. I can only hope strength training at Judo, and a crapload of core exercises at boxing/at home will guide me.

As for judowning you... the whole reason I wanna go to a TD is so that I can get used to... actually going against a striking opponent and getting into a clinch... without crapping my pants. I'm alright at the concept of taking damage when I grapple and roll at Judo, and I don't think I'll mind if it's just sparring at boxing, but I don't think I have the stones to try and get into a clinch with you.

Just for the record, do I want underhooks to avoid entering the Muay Thai clinch?

Posted On:
    5/31/2009 11:17am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Underhooks work pretty well to minimize the damage you take from knees if you can get them in time, its a nice stalling tactic to catch your breath until the ref breaks you up. All your Judo will pretty much work against an average thai boxer since it's banned in our competitions (my takedowns were illegal in that fight).

There is no real way to skip that fear of getting hit process, it just comes with lots of sparring. If you stick with the judo and boxing you'll come out of it a monster in a year or two. Its a combination i really like, pity I'm a shitty boxer.

BTW come watch me get punched in the head on the 24th july at Mansfield Tavern (admission is 50 i think).

Posted On:
    5/31/2009 5:58pm

Style: Mixed Martial Arts

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    BTW come watch me get punched in the head on the 24th july at Mansfield Tavern (admission is 50 i think).
    NIce. I just cornered for a mate at Matt coopers RIZE promotion at the Mansfield the weekend before last. Not a bad venue.

Posted On:
    6/13/2009 8:42pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Yeah its a very good venue for crowds too, very good atmosphere. BTW just incase you were going to come up just for my fight Deadmeat, my fight got switched to the 11th of July in Darwin :(. They had me down at 79kg when i'm 72kg so my coach said no way. Fighting a guy with a 6-3 record instead which should be interesting.

Posted On:
    6/14/2009 1:33am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Yeah its a very good venue for crowds too, very good atmosphere. BTW just incase you were going to come up just for my fight Deadmeat, my fight got switched to the 11th of July in Darwin :(. They had me down at 79kg when i'm 72kg so my coach said no way. Fighting a guy with a 6-3 record instead which should be interesting.
    Damn. I'm cornering for four guys from our gymn at the fightworld cup. same day, and the CFC cage fights are on that night.

Posted On:
    6/14/2009 1:40am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Hehe no worries mate, i'm flattered that you'd be willing to travel to watch me get punched. My next one after that will most likely be in 3 months in brisbane or southport anyway so i'll give you a yell before then.

Posted On:
    6/14/2009 3:28am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    My next one after that will most likely be in 3 months in brisbane or southport anyway so i'll give you a yell before then.
    Nice one man. might be fun to organise a mini Queensland TD.
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 12 34 LastLast