Page 1 of 4 1 234 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Posted On:
    5/26/2009 12:55pm

Style: MMA, Yoga

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Sang's first Muay Thai Fight.

Putting this up because i actually care about what a lot of people on this forum think (scary i know) and to show I'm not completely full of **** when i give advice on striking and southpaw stuff.

This fight was in March 2009 at the Rocky III fight show in Rockhampton, Australia. Rules were modified Thai with no elbows but knees to the head allowed, i'm the taller one. The other guy had a similar training time as myself and a kyokushin background but had sparred very few southpaws.

The adrenaline rush was crazy, i completely forgot about combinations and my brain refused to function on a strategic level (i am more versatile when i spar). My next fight will be in 5 weeks against a guy with a lot more fights, who's also southpaw and is from the same gym as the guy i fought last time so he has a video of me... should be extremely tough and entertaining.

YouTube - Muay Thai, Adam Hagedorn vs Ian Milne

Please pick out any errors you see, won't be able to go through it with my coach due to an insane amount of people taking fights lately. To start it off i wasn't happy with my clinch performance, i think it's pretty obvious i mainly clinch with a heavier, taller opponent so i've been conditioned to go straight for underhooks. I also didn't like that my lead hand dipped from fatigue in the 3rd round, especially since i didn't know it was doing it at the time.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    5/26/2009 2:43pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Good fight for first one. Only things I'd say you drop your hands quite a bit when you kick, you need to set up your kicks because when you get to higher levels people are going to see them coming and you're either going to get swept or countered hard. Need to use more straight knees when he's just walking in. Use angles instead of straight back. Like you said work that clinch and keep those hands up always.

Don't take this as criticism, but something to take into consideration and work on to become even better. I'm impressed that this is your first fight; I like that you practice traditional.

Do you eat breakfast?

Posted On:
    5/26/2009 3:43pm

supporting member
     Style: Kitty Pow Pow!!!

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Very nice, great job for a first fight :) Your kicks were very fast and clean. I'd seriously recommend working a lot on the swing/jumping knees where you basically swing your leg back and fold your body in to slam a knee in. When you were clinching you rarely had enough space to throw the standard straight knees, so this would be a good thing to learn. Also just learning to immediately try to control the person's head with the neck clinch and pull them around/ off balance them (this is something I really need more work on as well). You also had the first fight tendency to only ever throw your power hand rather than trying to set it up with some lead hand punches, though I know the excitement of the fight can cause that kind of stuff to happen. Another thing is that you bring your feet close together a lot so there are a lot of times where your opponent is able to knock you off balance pretty easily. Just try and make it more of a practice to always keep your feet in a solid, balanced position. On that note, you should try and work more on controlling the ring and being aware of how you and your opponent are moving. Ring movement is a very important part of fight strategy that can make or break you depending on how your opponent moves.

Anyway, great job, very very nice kicks and punches and your conditioning looked pretty solid despite how tiring the adrenaline of a first fight can be (there was a lot of obvious tension going on). I look forward to seeing the next one :)
    Ranked #9 internationally at 118lbs by WIKBA http://www.womenkickboxing.com/wikba...rch%202009.htm

STOP POSTING!

Posted On:
    5/26/2009 6:03pm

supporting member
     Style: Muay Thai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    ill try and break down the things i saw-

leg kicks, you didnt throw any. actually when i think about it neither did i in my first fight (well, 2) and against someone rushing in with punches leg kicks will take it right out of them.

Your clinch needs a bit of work, you had opportunities but you seemed to be happy to simply let him go, or hug. as a tall guy you need to make the clinch your territory, because most guys your weight are gonna be shorter and WILL be trying to get inside. if you fight someone who can do that and has a decent clinch, youre toast.

What Kid said about the hands- you didnt really even use them til the last round, by that stage your opponent was done anyway. your boxing looks even worse than mine and thats saying something so it might be worth taking some boxing lessons as well.

kicking- work on your hip flexibility, your kicks looked awkward and tight, your hips werent moving smoothly. and keep that hand sellotaped to your face. try a few teep kicks as well, such an underused kick. i won a fight basically just using teeps and the clinch.

good things- your composure and fitness are both excellent and in an amateur fight that probably matters more than anything else. you were picking your shots well, and it was good how you focused fire after he went down in that first round from that bodyshot, although if you had gotten your hands firing too you might have ended it in the first.

good fight :D

Posted On:
    5/26/2009 6:32pm

Join us... or die
     Style: 剛 and 柔

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Awesome fight. I don't study MT but I know this: I was really impressed with your kicks. Very crisp throughout. Beautiful liver kick 1:19. Beautiful head kick 1:56. The head lock seemed to work better for you in the clinch than the underhooks, as evidenced by the takedowns. What happened when you fell (5:30)? WOW @ 6:00!

I also liked your opponent's forward movement at 1:06 and elsewhere, teeps (like 1:15), and pure attack instinct at 3:30. He came up stronger than he was before he got hit!

Thx for posting. How long had you been training at the time?
    What a disgrace it is for a man to grow old without ever seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable. -Xenophon's Socrates

Posted On:
    5/26/2009 7:00pm

Style: Mixed Martial Arts

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Nice, mate. Great composure and stamina.

You actually seem quite comfortable. Nothing really to add, as there's already great advice by more striking-savvy posters above.

Good luck in your next fight.

Posted On:
    5/26/2009 8:48pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Thanks for the analysis guys! :). Strangely enough my boxing isn't that bad in the gym, i think the adrenaline was screwing me up there, i completely forgot how to link techniques together or throw lead hooks (one of my best techniques). Next fight i'll need to know how to throw more than straights since i won't have the southpaw advantage.

I didn't throw any leg kicks because i had a broken or fractured left foot at the time (you can see our attempt to tape it up) and was really paranoid of smashing a knee or shin and being put out of action for my trip to China. Next fight i won't be taking it on 3 day's notice so i'll be injury free.

Very true about the other points, especially the clinch stuff, i got lucky there. I think at 5:00 i went for a teep 1point2 but was tired so didn't get my body weight into it and fell on my arse, nearly did the exact same thing straight after that.

Do you eat breakfast?

Posted On:
    5/26/2009 9:00pm

supporting member
     Style: Kitty Pow Pow!!!

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Yeah a lot of your failings seemed primarily due to being overly tense from not being used to that adrenaline dump that comes from fighting. You just have to have your set strategy totally drilled super hardcore before you fight so that even though you're all nervous/tense/tired everything that you should be doing just comes out naturally. That's why it's so important to do every kind of training at the relentless, continuous pace of an actual fight, especially sparring.
    Ranked #9 internationally at 118lbs by WIKBA http://www.womenkickboxing.com/wikba...rch%202009.htm

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/29/2009 12:07am

Style: Muay Thai/MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Wow this is so sick!!!

I can't really say anything about your technique but like someone else mentioned your composure was really awesome; you looked great and I wouldn't have thought it was a first fight if it wasn't in the thread title.

Posted On:
    5/29/2009 4:52am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Hey Kid, is there any way to train ring awareness other than just doing loads of sparring vs pressure fighters? Rewatched my fight video and i made some really crappy directional decisions, cornered myself a lot of the time when i didn't have to.
Page 1 of 4 1 234 LastLast