222228 Bullies, 4478 online  
  • Register
Our Sponsors:

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

It's all about the clinch. The clinch, I said.

Posted On:
    5/30/2009 11:07pm

supporting member
     Style: SAMBO, mma, jiujitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by maofas View Post
    In a nutshell:

A. I'm allowed to disagree with one of your points, but agree with the rest of what you posted. That's not the same as taking one statement out of context in order to psuedo-invalidate the rest of what you were saying.
    I was more just trying to keep the argument/discussion along the lines that I was critiquing. I don't have the issues with Sparta doing this that so many of the others seem to.

B. He apparently posted his qualifications on the part of the forums that mere plebeians like myself aren't allowed to read. Either people are ignoring that part or they've looked at his qualifications and found them lacking, which is it?
    He posted them in a forum that is accessed only by people that donate to support the site. You're not missing much, he did that so as to be up front with his credentials and safeguard his privacy to a degree. The assumption being that those who are helping to support the site are most or less in line with its goals and so will better respect his privacy. His credentials, (yes I've read them) aren't of issue to me.

I think people are mad because what he's doing ranges very close to some of the things that we generally frown upon as a community when somebody outside said community does them. I think it's more a fear of hypocrisy than actual wrong-doing. For my money, for who he's teaching, Sparta has the right qualifications. Would I train with him? No. But then I'm not a beginner.

C. I don't think there's anything inherently wrong with using a park when you're giving your time for free. I remember Annatrocity talking about how she was going to teach some ARMA guy how to kickbox in a park. My judo coach, way back when times were really lean, was forced to teach his 2-3 students out of his house.
    Well, ARMA is a special case in the sense that they've always done things in this fashion because it's such a small community that what you have most often are satellite training groups rather than actual schools. Couple that with the size of many of the weapons they use and an open space like a park becomes necessary.

That out of the way, your second point seems to suggest that I looking down on him for using the park. I'm not. What I take issue with is the choices being made. I just don't think they're serious based on what I've read but I'm happy to be proven wrong. I think for a bunch of people with a training and work ethic under their belts already, training in the park is fine. But starting out there with a group of beginners for a martial arts class may be a mistake.

I would never look down on someone for teaching under ghetto conditions if they know their ****. The space you train in just has to be at least functional.
    On this we agree completely. I've training in living rooms, basements and parks.
    Go placidly amid the noise and haste,
    and remember what peace there may be in silence.
    As far as possible, without surrender,
    be on good terms with all persons.
    Speak your truth quietly and clearly;
    and listen to others,
    even to the dull and ignorant;
    they too have their story.

-excerpt of the poem called "Desiderata," by Max Ehrman, 1927.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/31/2009 10:30pm

Style: Judo (injury), ETS-do

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I concur. Boxing (with requisite gloves, mouthpiece, and helmet) presents a much smaller risk of serious injury.

STOP POSTING!

Posted On:
    6/01/2009 12:39am

supporting member
     Style: Muay Thai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    mate, if youre gonna do this then i have two pieces of advice-

charge for it.

get qualified.

Working as a PT one of the things that irks me is people teaching other people how to do things that they themselves dont know. from the idea of a program you outlined in your first post you obviously have no idea how to structure a class. how you were structuring them in your past experience completely eludes me. youre already dealing with thin ice since these people appear to have little motivation. if you charge for it then one of two things happens- they show up and pay and show that they are serious about it, or they dont show up. and if they dont, then they were never taking it seriously to begin with and were wasting your time.

Posted On:
    6/01/2009 12:59pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by vile_zoidberg View Post
    I concur. Boxing (with requisite gloves, mouthpiece, and helmet) presents a much smaller risk of serious injury.

Oh well now you're just taking all the fun out it.

Jeez.

Oh and I agree heartily with Alex. NEVER, NEVER work for free.
    and listen to others,

Has entered Barovia...

Posted On:
    6/02/2009 12:05am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Hi all,

So, did it.

*Takes cookie and milk from Lebell and sits down.

Eats cookie, drinks milk.

Gives deep breath.*

If I ever write or pretend anything that stupid AGAIN,
    please spank me with the cut-off dick of a donkey.

Just like my pals here do whenever I am drunk and decide to go
    for the fat chick on the dancefloor:

"Rafe, please don't."

This was not *Sparta*, this was shitfest.

Had been training like an animal to get even moderately in shape
    for the big day this weekend, so I was pretty much ardent to start.

I won't comment on the details of how things came to happen,
    but, if it's legal in your country, take the time to smoke a joint while you read it.

In the days before the actual lesson:

Chubby 1: You know, I am really bad a boxing, but I am a kick-ass wrestler!

Me: Oh rly?

*Chubby 1 jumps forward, for what likely might have been the shittiest attempt of a takedown that I have ever seen. You know, not like my own ones, but just as if he just watched it on TV. Once.

... C#1 jumps right against my right elbow, KTFOing himself. Like he aimed for it - I was even pulling backwards in that moment.*

Two minutes later, I and the others trying to, well, make him stand up again without falling down.

Chubby 1: That was great! Can I challenge you for a real fight?

Me: [Scared Kitty Impression.]

----------------------------------------------------

Chubby 2: Well, all you kickboxing/MMA stuff is fine so far, but I am an expert on weapons and especially on Western martial arts. I can give you some lessons as well if you like. Have studied Western martial arts for years!!! *Pats himself on the shoulder.*

Me: Cool, who was your teacher?

Chubby 2: Well, I have mostly studied it in books, and I have this online degree...

Me:

------------------------------------------------------------

So, the actual lesson came, and oooooooooooooh the surprise Chubby 1 and 2 were AWOL. Why might it be?

Chubby 3: Well, you know, I am not really interested in learning martial arts.
    I am making a diet, and I thought the workout would be a good addition.

Me: *Quietly takes gloves off, spits out mouthpiece, and goes off to bathroom to cry in silence.*

Well, so, the first part of this total, undisputed disaster
    consisted of me showing C#3 some webpages (among them, this one) and PDFs to read further into the matter of working out and dieting, and then taking him out for the "Valley of Pain", a jogging routine.
    Needless to say, C#3 collapsed after, like seven or eight minutes of running, including the "OMG OMG I am going to throw up"-fiesta, but then displayed remarkable guts to move on, though babyishly slowly. (Quite easy, with me next to him, yelling at him angrily.)

-------------------------------------------------------

So, what to take of this tale:

1. Everyone else here was right, and I was dead wrong.

2. Never ever agree to train people in an "informal", "unstressy" environment.

3. In the words of the Joker: "If you're good at something, never do it for free." Charge if you train n00bs, so they get a sense that they are not here to bullshit you. I wasted time and ressources on this crapfest when I could have done better.

4. Horseradish sandwiches take away the pain of the soul, and the sense of being stupid. GO AWAY, pain!

5. Running through the park with a fat pal makes you look darn sexy.

6. Being spanked with a donkey pole surely would be no fun.

The only good thing about this whole matter is that it gave me the push in my training that had missed for the last few weeks, with me handing in a paper and moving house.

The Spartan, over and out. ;)
    Last edited by Hiro Protagonist; 6/02/2009 12:13am at .

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/02/2009 12:24am

Style: Judo (injury), ETS-do

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Lolz. At least you made the attempt.

So is Chubby 3 interested in continuing to PT with you? If nothing else, you can continue to look sexy while running. And grappling with a fat person, even unskilled, should give you killer guard strength (especially if he spazzes, which, based on your tale, he would). Just don't sub him so you can continue to work out.

If you want a good training partner, I can help you out. Just convince your country's leaders to send your soldiers back to Iraq, then join the military, then deploy, and *then* we can train! Easy.

The problem I'm running into here is scheduling conflicts. The House of Pain (the gym here) is usually opened only at night, but I've convinced the keyholder to allow me to open it up in the morning for a couple hours. Great! Unfortunately, I can't get anyone to consistently show up for training/sparring, so my mornings are almost always jump rope/heavy bag/shadowboxing. It was great the first couple of days, but now I need someone to hit me back! Like, NOW!

Just waiting for the paperboy.

Posted On:
    6/02/2009 1:30am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by This is Sparta! View Post
    Hi all,

So, did it.

*Takes cookie and milk from Lebell and sits down.

Eats cookie, drinks milk.
    TEA.
    TEA and cookies.

Quote Originally Posted by Rafe
    If I ever write or pretend anything that stupid AGAIN,
    please spank me with the cut-off dick of a donkey.
    Okay.

I won't comment on the details of how things came to happen,
    but, if it's legal in your country, take the time to smoke a joint while you read it.
    Dude...you're typing to fast man..could you like start over, i don't get it...

*Chubby 1 jumps forward, for what likely might have been the shittiest attempt of a takedown that I have ever seen. You know, not like my own ones, but just as if he just watched it on TV. Once.
    Unprovoked attack based on false information, check.

Needless to say, C#3 collapsed after, like seven or eight minutes of running, including the "OMG OMG I am going to throw up"-fiesta, but then displayed remarkable guts to move on, though babyishly slowly. (Quite easy, with me next to him, yelling at him angrily.)
    Enforced marching with the guy in charge running next to them and yelling at them....good lord, its in your peoples genes isnt it?!

So, what to take of this tale:

1. Everyone else here was right, and I was dead wrong.

2. Never ever agree to train people in an "informal", "unstressy" environment.

3. In the words of the Joker: "If you're good at something, never do it for free." Charge if you train n00bs, so they get a sense that they are not here to bullshit you. I wasted time and ressources on this crapfest when I could have done better.

4. Horseradish sandwiches take away the pain of the soul, and the sense of being stupid. GO AWAY, pain!

5. Running through the park with a fat pal makes you look darn sexy.

6. Being spanked with a donkey pole surely would be no fun.
    And:7. you are really really German. :-p

Posted On:
    6/04/2009 7:50pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    You poor bastard. Hijacked by the fat and stupid.

My heart is overflowing with so much sympathy that I'm not even going to say it.

By the way, you earned major points by having the balls to post here and eat crow in public.

Ditch the fatties. Concentrate on your own training.

Find the fat one who likes the swords and sodomize him with a waster.
    and listen to others,

Posted On:
    6/05/2009 12:47am

Join us... or die
     Style: Kenkojuku Karate, Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    **** me for being an optimist!

OTOH I really enjoyed reading your account of how things turned out, so some measure of success was had.
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456