233357 Bullies, 3721 online  
  • Register
Our Sponsors:

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 6 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

It's all about the clinch. The clinch, I said.

Posted On:
    5/30/2009 1:45pm

supporting member
     Style: SAMBO, mma, jiujitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Mackan View Post
    Nope. They hurt equally bad, when done right. It's just that boxing hurt without the same risks of injuries to noobs, imho. Again - this is just based on my experience.

If you've been training in such a way that boxing poses less risk of injury than grappling you've been doing one, or both of these two activities, wrong.
    Go placidly amid the noise and haste,
    and remember what peace there may be in silence.
    As far as possible, without surrender,
    be on good terms with all persons.
    Speak your truth quietly and clearly;
    and listen to others,
    even to the dull and ignorant;
    they too have their story.

-excerpt of the poem called "Desiderata," by Max Ehrman, 1927.

Posted On:
    5/30/2009 1:48pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    To be true, grappling causes more serious injuries than boxing in my experience. Shoddy ukemi = bad news.

Posted On:
    5/30/2009 1:59pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Shawarma View Post
    To be true, grappling causes more serious injuries than boxing in my experience. Shoddy ukemi = bad news.
    Our experiences are going to have to agree to disagree on this one.
    and listen to others,

Just waiting for the paperboy.

Posted On:
    5/30/2009 1:59pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Mackan View Post
    EDIT: just to clarify the whole "What hurts more..." thingy - I'd gladly take a punch to the face or a ribshot rather than an armbar or hysterically performed choke attempt.
    see you at the TD! :-p

Posted On:
    5/30/2009 2:07pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Kenkojuku Karate, Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by JP View Post
    Now, since they're a bunch of tubs at the moment, instead of MA, I'd reccomend a kind of boot-camp style work-out. Get them in shape. Worry about the martial arts after that.
    I disagree with that last part of your post. One of the reasons people usually don't stick with a straight excercise routine is that it's boring. Hitting pads is good cardio and gives you an activity to focus on so you don't feel so fatigued as quickly.

Also it's encouraging because (in the beginning) the gains to your technique are very significant with each practice session. Instead of working out a couple of times and getting discouraged because they're still fatasses they can focus on the fact they learned a new skill and got significantly better at it after with each "class".

They don't need to get bogged down learning a full repertoire of techniques right away. With just jab/cross you can do almost endless variations of drills using a pair of focus mitt.

Posted On:
    5/30/2009 2:15pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by maofas View Post
    I disagree with that last part of your post. One of the reasons people usually don't stick with a straight excercise routine is that it's boring. Hitting pads is good cardio and gives you an activity to focus on so you don't feel so fatigued as quickly.

Equally so, it's also encouraging because (in the beginning) the gains to your technique are very significant with each practice session. Instead of working out a couple of times and getting discouraged because they're still fatasses they can focus on the fact they learned a new skill and got significantly better at it after with each "class".

They don't need to get bogged down learning a full repertoire of techniques right away. With just jab/cross you can do almost endless variations of drills using a pair of focus mitt.
    You can disagree with that last part all you like, but you can't completely remove it from the context of the whole post. The point I was making was that he's got a group of people who by virtue of their behavior are showing they lack a certain seriousness. Therefor, Sparta is likely wasting his time unless he has something to gain from this emotionally or financially. It doesn't matter what activity they're engaging in, they're not going to take it seriously.

While you do make a valid point, you're ignoring the rest of the circumstances. They're asking a friend, not a qualified instructor. Then they're going to the park, not the gym. Do you see where I'm going with this?
    and listen to others,

Just waiting for the paperboy.

Posted On:
    5/30/2009 2:17pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by maofas View Post

Really?
    a jab and a cross, endless variations?
    it wont get boring?
    just a jab and a cross?

you sure?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/30/2009 3:05pm

Style: Grappling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Lebell View Post
    see you at the TD! :-p
    I'll happily hurt you with boxing and get maimed with grappling :)

In all seriousness - it will be fun to meet.

Posted On:
    5/30/2009 3:45pm

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Maybe, but less boring than running for an hour that's for damn sure.

"Endless" is a little bit of hyperbole, but, as I'm sure you know, striking is less about having a huge variety of different techniques as much as different ways to set up the same techniques.

Between padwork and sparring drills you can easily take them through 2-4 weeks of class without them needing to know any other attack. If, say, after a week or two, you add a third technique (either a hook or a front kick) you increase the possibilities exponentially.

Seriously, if you take just one minute I'm sure you can think of at least 10 different drills that only use jab/cross, just off the top of your head? I'm not talking about standing there hitting a static 1-2 pattern on the pads.

Quote Originally Posted by JP
    While you do make a valid point, you're ignoring the rest of the circumstances. They're asking a friend, not a qualified instructor. Then they're going to the park, not the gym. Do you see where I'm going with this?
    I do. Originally I was going to reply to the rest of your post too, but I was dragged off my S.O. to buy/install an air conditioner. I'm being dragged off again (jfc!!) now to do more tedious **** I promised to do, so yeah, I'll edit this later with a better reply.

Posted On:
    5/30/2009 6:48pm

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    In a nutshell:

A. I'm allowed to disagree with one of your points, but agree with the rest of what you posted. That's not the same as taking one statement out of context in order to psuedo-invalidate the rest of what you were saying.

B. He apparently posted his qualifications on the part of the forums that mere plebeians like myself aren't allowed to read. Either people are ignoring that part or they've looked at his qualifications and found them lacking, which is it?

C. I don't think there's anything inherently wrong with using a park when you're giving your time for free. I remember Annatrocity talking about how she was going to teach some ARMA guy how to kickbox in a park. My judo coach, way back when times were really lean, was forced to teach his 2-3 students out of his house.

I would never look down on someone for teaching under ghetto conditions if they know their ****. The space you train in just has to be at least functional.
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 6 LastLast