Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Posted On:
    5/28/2009 11:33pm

Style: BJJ/Zumba

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Kung Pow: Enter the Park—Fatties Rollin'

New comedy, belching forth this Summer!
    Daniel: I don't know if I know enough karate.

Miyagi: Feeling correct.

Daniel: You sure know how to make a guy feel confident.

Miyagi: You trust the quality of what you know, not quantity.

Has entered Barovia...

Posted On:
    5/29/2009 4:14pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Well, thank you for the responses and sorry for the drama.
    I will think about what all of you have written and try to be objective.

I should emphasize that I get nothing out of this, btw.
    I do not need it for my self-esteem to train others;
    I was asked to do this by people who have trained with me in the past.

I am struggling pretty hard to find time for my own training these days,
    and I am doing this as a favor for a few guys that I feel have
    some good intentions with what they're doing.

I am going to help them to the best of my abilty,
    and if you want to help me reflect about what I am doing there,
    you're most welcome.

Quote Originally Posted by vile_zoidberg View Post
    "vile_zoidberg is better than you."
    I agree: +rep for you, and push ups for me.

Thank you for your input, man!

Quote Originally Posted by Omega the Merciless View Post
    Why are you wearing gear during warm up?

*edit.
    I'm sorry would you like some recommended changes because you look like your trying to run a two hour boxing class.
    Please, bring them on!

As to why we are wearing gear during warm up:

I'd like to have them getting used to wearing mouthpiece and cup before they train techniques/spar. Not saying that they have to wear it all the time, but I don't want to have them throwing up.

------------------------------------------

Since I do not have the time to comment in detail,
    am I right summing up:

- Short, if any, calisthenics training

- Focus mitts

- Shadow boxing basics

- The Spartan should commit public seppuku for labeling a boxing class MMA?

In any case, thank you all a lot!

I think I should maybe film this, when it comes to happen... Could be fun.

Marasmos

Posted On:
    5/29/2009 7:23pm

supporting member
     Style: 10th Planet JJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    One last time. You're not qualified to teach anyone anything. You have never boxed, never been in the ring. WTF is the matter with you?
    You say what about my rice?

Posted On:
    5/29/2009 8:31pm

Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Okay, I'm a dumbass. wtf is a "bas rutten" pushup or whatever?

Merry Christmas! shitter's full...

Posted On:
    5/29/2009 10:25pm

supporting member
     Style: BJJ/Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    if you insist on doing cardio work that isn't technique related, do jump rope.
    --------

Quote Originally Posted by it is fake View Post
    yeah, normally i'd get a quote, but couldn't be bothered.

Posted On:
    5/30/2009 12:04am

Style: BJJ/Zumba

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by white_kimbo View Post
    if you insist on doing cardio work that isn't technique related, do jump rope.
    Jump rope on grass is t3h suck, though...unless, I guess, it's like fairway grass?

Also, if you are not getting anything out of this, and it is an "unofficial training", you could get in a lot of trouble if something goes wrong and someone gets hurt, no? (Thinking legal ramifications...medical problems that might exist...insurance...etc...)
    Daniel: I don't know if I know enough karate.

Miyagi: Feeling correct.

Daniel: You sure know how to make a guy feel confident.

Miyagi: You trust the quality of what you know, not quantity.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/30/2009 1:00am

Style: TKD, judo, MT noob

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by HAPKO3 View Post
    One last time. You're not qualified to teach anyone anything. You have never boxed, never been in the ring. WTF is the matter with you?
    kinda what i was saying, I'm just nicer

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/30/2009 3:02am

Style: Judo (injury), ETS-do

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I have to agree with HAPKO3 and Beorn. It's one thing if it's a group of equal-level MAers getting together to swap techniques and spar, as there is a collective level of knowledge that *should* be able to filter out mistakes and general idiocy.

If you were acting as an assistant instructor, I'd be ok with that, since there would be oversight to ensure that you don't jack up.

Liken it to teaching a child to read; you don't want your 4 year old to be taught by a middleschooler, because that middleschooler can't proficiently read yet, and will pass along his mistakes, thinking that he's right because he doesn't know any better.

I don't know all of the details of your training, how old you are, or how proficient you are at fighting, but if you have reservations about teaching someone else, you probably shouldn't do it.

You said that someone asked you to teach. The person that asked you, is he an instructor that has many years of applicable fighting experience? Does he have implicit faith that you can teach the fundementals? Will he be teaching also/later on? If yes to all of the above, then it may be a safe bet that you are qualified to show some noobs the basics. If no, then you may want to consider just working out with them and giving them the locations of a few proper schools/clubs to get their MA experience, and volunteer to spar with them.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/30/2009 3:17am

Style: Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu/MT

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I agree with the other posters. Definitely way too tough for new people.

Since it looks like you'll be doing mostly striking and not actually MMA, here's what we did at my old Muay Thai gym:

• Stretching for 1-2 rounds
    • Running in a circle (forward, backwards, inside, outside) for 2 rounds
    • Jump rope for 2 rounds
    • Shadow boxing for 2 rounds*
    • Thai pad drills for 6 rounds (3 rounds holding, 3 rounds striking)
    • Sparring for 3 rounds
    • Kicking the Bag of Death (a gigantic sandbag strapped to a metal pole with absolutely no give)---20 kicks per person.

This would usually go about 1.5 hours. And it will push your beginners hard. The more advanced people would typically jump rope a round or two before class and then spar a few more rounds and do ab-work and weights after class.

There's not a lot of rest early on in the workout. For example, during the 30 second "break" between jump rope rounds we would do sit-ups or push-ups. And during the last thirty seconds of each round, you would sprint during whatever section you were in.

And, of course, a crazy Thai man would be randomly punching you in the stomach or slapping you in the face if you dropped your hands.

What sort of gear is your group running around in? Because running around in shin-pads and gloves is a little gaytarded.

*---This would alternate between shadowboxing, heavy bag, clinch work, and kicking drills on the bigger pads.

Has entered Barovia...

Posted On:
    5/30/2009 4:24am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    In direct response to this thread, I posted a basic overview of my credentials/MA experience in the members-only section of this board, including the names of my main instructors, FWIW.

Having started MA training some time in the 90s, and having started *useful* MA training in 2001, I don't get all sweaty and nervous when I have to stand in front of a few beginners and tell them to keep their hands up and to stop ducking down when they are punched.

- I was asked to do this by some people who want to open a new gym in town over the summer and had asked me earlier to, in the terms used around here, become an "assistant instructor", which I declined.
    However, since one of them is a good friend of mine back from my very first kickboxing days, I agreed to help training his beginner class at least until they can find somebody else.

What my main concerns are is that I have never ever trained with people where nobody but me had experience in martial arts:

- I have no idea what the stamina of an untrained person of my age is, and how long I can vex people with exercises before they loose all their concentration. I like to train long, because at some point you enter in some kind of flow, where things just seem to function organically.

- I have no idea how quickly beginners learn. Usually, in the gyms where I was trained, beginners were simply thrown into the action and often ended being beaten up, something that I would rather not do. Is more than the basic strikes too much for people that are starting from zero?

I AM, however, pretty pissed at my pals here that they are leaving me completely alone with the task at least for the first training session, because I do not feel comfortable in the role. Being a good fighter and being a good trainer are two completely different things, and I'd like to get way more experience both in fighting and in coaching people before I take full responsibility for even some beginners.

Will be offline until Monday, but would appreciate your input in the meantime.
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123 456 LastLast