Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/27/2009 11:23am

Style: Judo (injury), ETS-do

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Kambei Shimada View Post
    If the ground's soft enough you should add basic sprawls and shoots as part of the warm up.

You could also consider attaching cakes/donuts and cookies to the back of a bike and making the fat bastards chase you.

I'm not so sure that adding more to the mix would be wise for complete newbs. When they start, they should only be concerned with having a decent stance, guard, and be able to throw a couple of basic techniques (in my example above--punching). That's the first few sessions. Then you build from there.

Oh. As part of the warm-up. I'm still a little iffy about it. Fat people don't fall or shoot very well, and it's still one more concept that they would have to wrap their martially-retarded brains around. Later? Most definitely.

Did Omega the Merciless just apologize? *THE* Omega?

Sir, talented hacker though you may be, I will be forced to inform the (other) moderators that you have jacked Mr. Omega's account. I will pray for your soul.
    Last edited by vile_zoidberg; 5/27/2009 11:34am at .

Administrator

Posted On:
    5/27/2009 11:37am

staff
     Style: Chinese Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by vile_zoidberg View Post
    I'm not so sure that adding more to the mix would be wise for complete newbs. When they start, they should only be concerned with having a decent stance, guard, and be able to throw a couple of basic techniques (in my example above--punching). That's the first few sessions. Then you build from there.

Oh. As part of the warm-up. I'm still a little iffy about it. Fat people don't fall or shoot very well, and it's still one more concept that they would have to wrap their martially-retarded brains around. Later? Most definitely.

Did Omega the Merciless just apologize? *THE* Omega?

Sir, talented hacker though you may be, I will be forced to inform the (other) moderators that you have jacked Mr. Omega's account. I will pray for your soul.
    You missed the condescending undertones.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/27/2009 11:41am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    FORGIVE ME, OH MOST WISE AND POWERFUL OMEGA, SMITER OF THE WEAK, HARVESTER OF WOMEN AND BREEDER OF EXCEPTIONALLY INTELLIGENT CHILDREN! HOW DARE I MAKE ERRONEOUS ASSUMPTIONS ABOUT YOUR OMNIFICENCE! I SHALL ADMINISTER 100 LASHES TO MYSELF TO HUMBLE MY WAYWARD MIND, AND SPARE YOU THE MINOR BOREDOM OF MY PAIN!

...Yes, I completely missed it.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/27/2009 12:23pm

Style: TKD, judo, MT noob

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Personally, I don't think you should be structuring this as a class at all, with your admitted lack of experience. If you want it to be some calisthenics followed by sparring among peers thats one thing, but just as inexperienced people instructing grappling leads to crappling, inexperienced strikers teaching can lead to bad habits and crap striking. This is coming from someone who used to think they were the **** and has produced both crapplers and strappers (best i could do for crap strikers).

Nothing against you, I'm sure you have a grasp of the fundementals you want to teach. But knowing how to apply them to yourself and knowing them so well you can apply them to other people is something else entirely.

Your milage may vary, but for me at least, teaching when I had less than two years in a style and competition experience usually led to trouble.

Marasmos

Posted On:
    5/27/2009 5:41pm

supporting member
     Style: 10th Planet JJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by This is Sparta! View Post
    Hi all,

So, next Monday, I'll give my debut as a "serious" MA instructor...

In t3h park. :tongue6:

I have three students right now, but the group could grow up to ten participants.

All of them are overweight and have virtually no experience in MAs.

(As you might guess, I am doing this as a favor, for some friends who want to start a gym around my place. I do not really feel qualified to teach anyone, especially when I compare myself to the people that teach and taught me.)

So I had thought of this:

1800 Meetup

1810 Light running, with gloves and gear on

1850 3x15 Indian Pushups

3x30 Jumpin' Jacks

3x20 Bas Rutten jumps

1910 Stretching exercises

1925 Striking

Basic techniques: Straight Punches, 3-punch-combos

2000 Striking

Basic techniques: Jab, jab-straight-jab combos

2030 Sparring

2100 I feast on the blood of the fallen

So, since I have virtually no experience in teaching n00bs,
    do you think this is a reasonable way to start?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated,

Rafe
    You should not be teaching anything, much less MMA classes. You're a beginner chunner. Do your friends a service and send 'em to a real gym.
    You say what about my rice?

1% Shark is better than you.

Posted On:
    5/27/2009 10:16pm

supporting memberforum leaderstaff
     Style: BJJ/Shidokan

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    THREAD RE-OPENED

OP sent me a message: Beorn is misinformed.

I still think park setting informal classes are dumb but I'm less concerned about the OP being a rank amateur.
    Last edited by WhiteShark; 5/28/2009 8:57am at .

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/28/2009 9:04am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Justice prevails!

(I really just wanted to be the first one to post on the newly-reopened thread. I have nothing to add.)

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/28/2009 10:03am

Style: TKD, judo, MT noob

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    so there was apparently some confusion about my post earlier. I wasn't trying to say what kind of experience This Is Sparta has, I was just using a cautionary tale from my past about what can happen when an admitted amateur tries to do something like this.

The two year thing was just my personal guideline for teaching. So if I wanted to teach mma, I would have to train all ranges consistently for at least two years AND be doing decently in competition. Then I would feel comfortable teaching

Marasmos

Posted On:
    5/28/2009 3:44pm

supporting member
     Style: 10th Planet JJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Is it just me, or is this somewhat fucked up?

This forum, all in all, gets its panties in a bunch when some TMA instructor somewhere starts teaching MMA classes. The instructor generally gets called out, a lot of **** is talked, his credentials are asked for...

Here, we have a self-described mediocre chunner, who has ZERO experience training MMA, much less teaching it, who wants to start a class, and everyone's cool with that.

Dude, you shouldn't be teaching anything. If you want to help your lardy friends with general fitness, well, even that is a stretch. MMA? You've gotta be kidding me.

I appreciate what you're going through. I too, a few years back, after some hanging out at Bullshido and a throwdown or two had the wrong idea about where I am in the pecking order of martial artists. Time has set me straight. But even back than I was not retarded enough to think I can start a MMA class.
    You say what about my rice?

1% Shark is better than you.

Posted On:
    5/28/2009 4:58pm

supporting memberforum leaderstaff
     Style: BJJ/Shidokan

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    HAPKO3 snapped me out of my stupor. Have fun in YMAS!
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 12 3456 LastLast