Style
    mma
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

new to Muay Thai

OK, beside my name where styles are listed it says "None at this time". When I was a child I learned a small amount of karate at the YMCA. This was forms based and basically what you might expect from the YMCA. Later on I took ninjutsu for several years until I stopped when the club relocated. Also I thought it was quite expensive and was annoyed at some aspects of the club, but I generally thought it was pretty good. After reading the forums here though, I started to realize that the low level of aliveness masked the lack of effectiveness against realistic strikes. Also I wasn't too interested in traditional weapons or learning the Japanese language.

Last year I did japanese Jujutsu (chokushin) for a couple months but really not long enough to get much out of it. The classes were great, and so was the price, but the scheduling was a problem for my work schedule at the time. After returning from another semester in college I am no longer in the right physical proximity to resume classes there.

This summer I decided I was going to find a decent school in Toronto. I won't bore you with my search but I ultimately decided to learn Muay Thai at a place in scarborough, ON called Ultimate Martial Arts. There website is www.ultimatemartialarts.ca.

I'm pretty happy right now, and impressed with the school. I like that it fits my shift schedule by having different beginner classes every day in a number of time slots.

I am having a bit of trouble in a couple of areas. One is holding pads. Our beginner classes are divided into two halves. After a warm up we pair up and for the first half one partner holds pads, the other the gloves, and then for the second half we switch. Of the two classes I've been to I seem to have trouble holding pads each time. Last week my partner bruised my arm right through the pads (he had a strong punch). Also I have trouble holding the pads especially for swing kicks. Sometimes my hands hit my face when my partner connects. It was a bit better this week.

My other trouble seems to be fitness. But hey, that's what I signed up for this for. Today I went for a kettlebell conditioning class. After a couple minutes I stopped because I was not sure I could continue safely. It could have been that I hadn't had enough to eat earlier and I had a kickboxing class about an hour befor that. Also I think I may have bought too heavy a kettle bell. It didn't seem too heavy when swinging it in the store but in class it sure got heavy quickly (35 lbs).

Anyway, I'll try the kettlebell class again on a day that I have eaten better and not already exhausted myself. Just wanted maybe some encouragement and pointers. I'm not in very good shape right now but hopefully this will help change that.

Style
    Weight Training
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Grab one of the instructors for clarification on holding the pads during class. Make him stay with you for a few times to make sure your pad holding technique is correct. Then grab another instructor at another time to 'confirm' your technique since the quality of instructors varies here quite a bit.

That kettlebell class can be quite difficult. The guy who does it seems pretty serious and ripped. I've never seen him spar or train so I can't comment on his technique.
    Surfing Facebook at work? Spread the good word by adding us on Facebook today! https://www.facebook.com/Bullshido

Style
    mma
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    thanks for the reply. I'll try and get some more clarification from instructors on holding pads. I'm going to try a kettle bell class with the same kettle bell after I feel completely recovered and before I do any cardio. If it is still too much I'll go get a lighter kettle bell. Anyway there are a number of different kettle bell instructors. I don't actually see any of the same instructors on the website as the ones on the schedule, but that's ok, the beginner classes have all been pretty good so far.

Style
    Muay Thai, Boxing, MMA
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Just work into it slowly, especially if you are not in good shape. Save the kettle bell class fro later when you have some more strength and better cardio. If you do a warm up with skipping and plyometric exercise before you get into pad work that should been good for the first month to build up your cardio.

Pads are not the easiest thing to do, it takes time and practice to get good at holding them for your partner. Take the time to learn how to hold them correctly and get the positions and movements down with them. Tell your partner to go over the combo you are working on at a slower pace until you have the proper pad technique down. And like the above posters said, ask your coach for instruction, that's what you are paying them for.

You've only had two classes, so don't be so hard on yourself. This is a sport that you build your skills up gradually over time. So just make small steps in progress every class and you will notice the improvements even by the end of the month.