Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Thread: New here

Style
    BJJ
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

New here

Hey all

Im new here and practice BJJ in South Africa under groundworx (www.goundworxjj.com) and well..... yeah thats about it this site kicks ass i dont have time to type gotta search the forums!

Style
    Muay Thai, BJJ
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Hi deadly BJJ, welcome to bullshido!
    I visited your schools website, and to be completely honest, I find myself a little curious as to your instructors qualifications... Who has he trained with? I noticed he mentions Eddie Bravo, BJ Penn, and Gene Simco as his mentors. Has he trained under any of these people? Did he achieve rank under anyone?
    I honestly have no problem with gyms that focus on no gi jiu-jitsu, but his profile says nothing about where he learned and developed his style... I'm not trying to call bullshido on your instructor, I'm just trying to get an idea of what your style is like.
    Are you enjoying your training?
    How long have you been training?

Fix your link btw
    www.groundworxjj.com
    Last edited by NoTeefa; 5/28/2009 4:36am at . Reason: clarification, I'm not trying to troll

Style
    BJJ
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    yeah he has fought in quite a few comps (ive watched him) and his students beat accredited gracie schools in comps (gi and no gi) he also teaches rubber guard and unusual techs like that which has won his team a few tornaments , as for where he trained i honestly have no idea i will ask him later but as far as im concerned his **** works and in South africa (more info for ya) thats rare as there are hardly any bjj schools yeah i did about 4 months muay-thai but i was too young and got my ass kicked by giants then i did some training with combat-jui-jitsu (website has been closed no link sorry)for about 1 year when i realised that we hardly do any drilling! so i quit and joined groundworx which drills the hell outta everything. I am enjoying my training very much but the conditionings killing me ;) (medicine balls I hate you)
    im thinking about taking judo to supplament my training do you suggest it?(sorry a bit off topic)

Style
    BJJ
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    damn forgot where i live is in my avatar (its 2 in the morning here just tired) well at least i did it in newb town

Style
    Basically Bad Boxing
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I think the general idea is to go for a striking art, a clinching art, and a grappling art.. so Judo + BJJ = 2/3 ! :D

Style
    Judo, Boxing
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    In my opinion, if your school is good... you only have limited time to train etc., then it's a little redundant to do both BJJ and Judo until you a strong foundation in one. Otherwise your techniques are going to mix themselves up, as they train things a little differently... Case in point: I one day plan to bust some BJJ but with very limited time on my hands (I can only train 4 nights a week... Monday nights - Thursday nights) I have taken up boxing to give me some CARDIO and conditioning to supplement my Judo, rather than getting a whole other bag of techniques to worry about.

Style
    BJJ
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    thanx for the advice guys im gonna start judo after I get better conditioning and then start muay-thai since i pretty much have all the time in the world

Style
    BJJ/GJJ
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by NoTeefa View Post
    Hi deadly BJJ, welcome to bullshido!
    I visited your schools website, and to be completely honest, I find myself a little curious as to your instructors qualifications... Who has he trained with? I noticed he mentions Eddie Bravo, BJ Penn, and Gene Simco as his mentors. Has he trained under any of these people? Did he achieve rank under anyone?
    I honestly have no problem with gyms that focus on no gi jiu-jitsu, but his profile says nothing about where he learned and developed his style... I'm not trying to call bullshido on your instructor, I'm just trying to get an idea of what your style is like.
    Are you enjoying your training?
    How long have you been training?

Fix your link btw
    www.groundworxjj.com
    There are two BJJ clubs in Cape Town that have instructors with BJJ qualifications - Gracie Jiu Jitsu Cape Town, and Renzo Gracie Cape Town. I hope this helps.

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by T3HD34[)1Y View Post
    yeah he has fought in quite a few comps (ive watched him) and his students beat accredited gracie schools in comps (gi and no gi) he also teaches rubber guard and unusual techs like that which has won his team a few tornaments , as for where he trained i honestly have no idea i will ask him later but as far as im concerned his **** works and in South africa (more info for ya) thats rare as there are hardly any bjj schools
    Hahaha - here we go again!

What belk/rank does the instructor (Hanno) hold in BJJ? I'll tell you.. none. His only experience is as a student of Mike Herbig at combatjujitsu, and he didn't even get a black belt in that.

His students beat accredited gracie schools in comps? Really? When?

What tournaments are these that his students have wom with rubber guard & unusual techniqes?

Heres a video of him fighting MMA http://www.facebook.com/video/video....id=14069342310 - dude, you really need wake up & smell the coffee!

Style
    Kenpo, WMA
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by BeachCarl View Post
    Hahaha - here we go again!

What belk/rank does the instructor (Hanno) hold in BJJ? I'll tell you.. none. His only experience is as a student of Mike Herbig at combatjujitsu, and he didn't even get a black belt in that.

His students beat accredited gracie schools in comps? Really? When?

What tournaments are these that his students have wom with rubber guard & unusual techniqes?

Heres a video of him fighting MMA http://www.facebook.com/video/video....id=14069342310 - dude, you really need wake up & smell the coffee!
    Seriously, BeachCarl- don'cha think it's a bit harsh?

Firstly- he wasn't asking for advice on his instructors or questioning his instructor credentials...

Secondly- this is a newbie, in a newbie forum. We don't normally start beating on people until they leave the safety of Newbietown.

Josh

Page 1 of 2 12 Last