Posted On:
    5/25/2009 2:18am

supporting member
     Style: Tatsumaki Senpuu Kyaku

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Hesperus View Post
    You give yourself too much credit.

No, really. Your write-up is indistinguishable from the writing of anyone who is writing anything about this fight anywhere, save for some tedious hyperbole and all the coherence of a C- book report.

Do me a favor and look up the word prolific. I'm pretty sure it doesn't mean what you think it means.

Do us all a favor and stop jacking off into your own face until you can be interesting or insightful.
    I don't think I ever said I was one of those 15 people. Also, it's a fucking joke. Get over yourself.

it's all vanity

Posted On:
    5/25/2009 2:42am

Join us... or die
     Style: Kano-Gracie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Sirc View Post
    Also, it's a fucking joke.
    By calling it that you're doing a disservice to the likes of Carlos Mencia and Roseanne Barr.

In fact, I've decided it fits perfectly into the category of

tedious hyperbole
    Unless you were referring to the article as a whole, in which I couldn't agree more. Steven Hauk, however, resents the association.
    Last edited by Hesperus; 5/25/2009 3:12am at .

I am a living legend!

Posted On:
    5/25/2009 3:39am

supporting member
     Style: Tatsumaki Senpuu Kyaku

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    By calling it that you're doing a disservice to the likes of Carlos Mencia and Roseanne Barr.

In fact, I've decided it fits perfectly into the category of

Unless you were referring to the article as a whole, in which I couldn't agree more. Steven Hauk, however, resents the association.
    Soo...

I'm sorry. I'm not sure what you're trying to accomplish here. I don't think you got the sarcasm. Or maybe even the fact that Evans, in his career of saying all sorts of really terribly awful ****, decided to end his winning streak with "I'm dizzy."

Irony? Sarcasm? what the **** do you want, ******?

I am a Ninja bitches!! Deal with it

Posted On:
    5/25/2009 6:17am

Join us... or die
     Style: Improv comedy

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I don't agree that Machida's hand position is a weakness I think it's part of hi9s over all strategy

1- People see openings that aren't there and jump in because of his low hands
    and then get socked in thr jaw

2- His low hands, wide back leaning stance lets him get a good read on his oponents body langauge and allows him to counter better than he would with a traditional boxing stance. Remember he's not only avoiding the punches but out sprawling and grappling them. His footwork and stance are key to this.

So to me its all tied in together

One reason I don't thinkg Machida karate will be the next big thing is that he's been training this strategy and conditioning his fast twicthy reflexes to make it work since he was 4 years old and its something that can not be taught in a few years.

So whil it works brilliantly for Lyoto it's going to be a long time until somone not named Machida can replicate it.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/25/2009 7:55am

Style: Boxing and Moo Duk Kwan

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I see no point of calling anything a man who has won the UFC LHW belt DUMB. I am confident any real fan or fighter would understand the level of effert in training Machida has put into this.

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    5/25/2009 8:43am

supporting member
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Goju - Joe View Post
    1- People see openings that aren't there and jump in because of his low hands
    and then get socked in thr jaw
    pretty common tactic, especially in boxing. but don't most people start covering up once the distance closes? machida leaves his hands down, maybe raises just one (not necessarily in front of his face to protect it - usually behind or beside his head) and backs out. this is where i was expecting rashad to capitalise.

there was one moment where i thought it was going to happen, but rashad couldn't land anything square before lyoto was practically in the other corner.

2- His low hands, wide back leaning stance lets him get a good read on his oponents body langauge and allows him to counter better than he would with a traditional boxing stance. Remember he's not only avoiding the punches but out sprawling and grappling them. His footwork and stance are key to this.
    he has a very long stance, very open and balanced. he can leap backwards and forwards, cover a lot of ground very quickly. notice that he often has tape on his toes; he's leaping around so much in training that it's tearing the skin up on his feet.

call me crazy, but i'm wondering if waving his arms around while retreating helps his balance. it's much more difficult to leap backwards if your hands are held to your face.

One reason I don't thinkg Machida karate will be the next big thing is that he's been training this strategy and conditioning his fast twicthy reflexes to make it work since he was 4 years old and its something that can not be taught in a few years.

So whil it works brilliantly for Lyoto it's going to be a long time until somone not named Machida can replicate it.
    i've been watching a lot of videos where contact karate guys move in a very similar fashion to machida. i'm getting very curious.

Posted On:
    5/25/2009 9:08am

Join us... or die
     Style: 血鷲

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by danno View Post
    i would have said that it's just the way he does things.

i was feeling pretty confident that rashad would be the man to take advantage of this. i think it's going to happen eventually.
    On the hyperbole front (from "Elusive-Elusive-Elusive" to "His Era Is Upon Us") one can wonder what happens when--as happens to all fighters--Machida finally gets defeated. Will the hyperbolists suddenly do a 180 and scream "The Era Is Over!"...even though his ledger will still have a sizeable number on the 'win' side, while the loss column will read '1' instead of '0'?

On a more interesting front, it will be interesting to see how Machida handles the mental challenge of bouncing back from a loss...whenever that first occurs.

Titanium laced beauty

Posted On:
    5/25/2009 9:28am

supporting memberforum leaderstaff
     Style: BJJ, wrestling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Vieux Normand View Post
    On the hyperbole front (from "Elusive-Elusive-Elusive" to "His Era Is Upon Us") one can wonder what happens when--as happens to all fighters--Machida finally gets defeated. Will the hyperbolists suddenly do a 180 and scream "The Era Is Over!"...even though his ledger will still have a sizeable number on the 'win' side, while the loss column will read '1' instead of '0'?
    Of course this will happen. People are fickle.

I am a Ninja bitches!! Deal with it

Posted On:
    5/25/2009 9:59am

Join us... or die
     Style: Improv comedy

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by danno View Post
    pretty common tactic, especially in boxing. but don't most people start covering up once the distance closes? machida leaves his hands down, maybe raises just one (not necessarily in front of his face to protect it - usually behind or beside his head) and backs out. this is where i was expecting rashad to capitalise.
    Three things I notice with Machida in that range.

1 - his hands are low and out and he parrys the punches.

2 - His foot work allows him to leap out and on an angle

3 - Foot sweep and trips. Whne people get in that range with Machida they think punch meanwhile his leg is coming in for the trip or sweep. People knwo this now and like Rashad jump back out of it. However Machida moces in with some sick kicks to follow up the backward movement.

I don't know what anyone can do

i've been watching a lot of videos where contact karate guys move in a very similar fashion to machida. i'm getting very curious.

I have a wide open stance and my foot work actually comes from fencng I am very good and getting out of the way.

But

Unless you have an amazing sprawl and TD defense the open foot work can be a liabilty agains shooters.

Machida has this most Karateka don't

One reason is that when Karate guys cross train grappling it's usually Judo not wrestling.

Machida trained shooto wrestling style with Inoki, plus his sumo and additional freestyle wrestling

I don't see anyone in the near future quite duplicating what Machida does

Boneheaded Optimist

Posted On:
    5/25/2009 11:21am

supporting member
     Style: Wado Kai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Machida is a great fighter. He just proved it by winning the title against another great fighter in Evans. BUT, his style is absolutely defeatable and dupicatable. You guys are saying the same things everyone said about the Gracie's, and in a very short period of time, people had evolved beyond them.

Machida is an example of MMA's evolution. Sure, Karate is his base, but really so what? Eventually, someone will figure him out, take him down, and the evolution will continue. And I'm betting that it will be sooner rather than later. The level of athletes/coaching in the UFC is far better than it was at the beginning. Machida's window of dominance is going to be small by comparison.
    Quote Originally Posted by pauli
    i was once told that "do" means wrecking people's **** for your own philosophical betterment.

Quote Originally Posted by melvin_peebles
    I could be mistaking dumbness for delusion. I'll have to go dig out my DSM IV. It's great to have stumbled upon this site. The rich fauna and flora of mental dysfunction that exists in the martial arts is amazing. It's like the Galapagos.
Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 12 3456 ... LastLast