Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 67 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Posted On:
    7/06/2009 7:12pm

forum leader
     Style: BJJ/ MMA/ MT

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Get your cornerman to yell out techniques or even just stances. Then while the opponent prepares to defend, use a different technique. When you get really good, your cornerman can just yell out random combinations of techniques that do not follow any pattern or resemblance to what you are doing. This confuses the **** outta your opponent and I have seen it work. My mate at my old dojang used to have his sparring partner corner him at tournaments with amusing and awesome results. (edit: He smashed the guy with no points awarded against him).
    I spoke with one of his opponents a couple of weeks after a small tourney and he was like, "yeah, I heard that that guy was, like, a national champion". He was close, except he was referring to the guy in the corner, not the player. L fucken O fucken L.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    7/08/2009 5:43pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Tang Soo Do

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I have the same issue you do. 6' 230lb. Although in TSD, hand techniques arn't as limited as they are in TKD

Personally controling the range is my top priority. Stay out of range, untill the moment is right for you. wait untill your oponent throws a technique that leaves him off balanced or otherwise exposed, then close swiftly with hands, or a lead leg kick.

Part 2 is to control his balance. A couple of ways to do this: the above mentioned "bullrush" if your oponent is backpeddeling your doing good.
    Push kicks to the hip won't score points, but they will stop a kick before it starts, help control the range and may set up an opening if you have a good lunge.
    Then there is taking his balance via blocking. agianst mid level kicks (esp round kicks to the inside,) siding back just out of range and low block in such a way that you impart a forward and downward momentum to the kick which forces the oponent to land forward (closer) and usually exposing his flank. easiest way is to grab the pant leg and pull, you can also "cup" your hand and catch thier calf as it passes by, or dig in to the muscle with your forearm and pull. Main point is to redirect there energy down and past your lead hip and start in with your hands. Agianst upper level round kicks you can pull off a simular sort of thing but it requires perrty good timing and is a bit dangerous. When you see the kick start, crouch a bit to get your head out of the way. and preform an upper block as close to their knee as possible, once you make contact push up and forward. If they arn't all that flexible, they'll fall on their ass, and might be hesitant to try it agian. If they are flexibile you may be able to throw the leg to the side (off balancing them)and start your hand attacks. I've accidently pulled this one off a few times, thats the only reason I mention it.

1) control range.

2) control your oponents balance whenever possible.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/09/2009 11:51pm

Style: Wing Chun Kuen

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Reuniel View Post
    but it kinda makes sence doesnt it?
    wing chun draws its power from being able to have emence skill and power at close range. at that kinda range a knee is the closest your getting to kicking him.
    not saying wing chun is better, but isnt the idea (behind wing chun) to eliminate kicks completly?
    Where I train, no knees, elbow/fists only as we believe that extra hit isn't worth the tradeoff for a potential grapple.

The WC kick is the cannon to WC punches is to machine gun. I sent the boardholder flying into the walls the few times we played around with it.

Quote Originally Posted by maofas View Post
    It's a nice idea in theory, but WC is absolutely horrendous at defending kicks FYI. I've sparred quite a few different WC guys, some decent, but every single one of them had a ton of problems dealing with kicks and most actually plainly stated to me during/after: "we're really not used to dealing with kicks in WC".

Yes, I know they do sticky legs and have that intercepting stamp kick thing, but (even if they spar) they practice against other Chunners and pure Chunners almost never have good kicks.
    I agree with the above, successful application is almost always directly proportional to experience, ergo, 90% of _ing _un don't practice against kicks/mid-range situations. Like a B52 bomber vs. F16, its fucked once the F16 bypasses its mid/long range defences.

However, the F16 ace is only as good as he's against other air interceptor type pilots. Likewise, _ing _un really shouldn't consider cross-sparring until he/she's good at what he/she's supposed to be good at.
    Last edited by Whathappened; 7/10/2009 12:12am at . Reason: Unecessary bumping for new content

Featherweight

Posted On:
    7/10/2009 8:12am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Jujutsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    ok but I mean in the opponent, is the point of the WC practitioner not to rule his oponents kicks out of the equasion.
    when you are punching someone ( you as a wing chun practitioner) and your oponent is say a kickboxer, he wouldnt be able to kick you because your to close to him, is that not the idea?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/20/2009 10:45pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Reuniel View Post
    ok but I mean in the opponent, is the point of the WC practitioner not to rule his oponents kicks out of the equasion.
    when you are punching someone ( you as a wing chun practitioner) and your oponent is say a kickboxer, he wouldnt be able to kick you because your to close to him, is that not the idea?
    Yes, the WC must not only rule out opponent kicks, but reach a level of proficiency to exploit them. i.e. WC kick the standing leg while hands control/intercept the kicking leg.

No. That's the common misconception, because the opponent will not allow me to get into a range that he's uncomfortable in dealing with. These opportunities are literally split second windows of opportunity.

Upon entering his elbow strike, hook and uppercut range, WC actually is at a disadvantage if not for the speed and experience built up from chisau.

Posted On:
    7/23/2009 4:44pm

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    How's your flexibility? My own experience as a tall but not stocky guy is that when I improved my flexibility, even kicks that were within my range before became easier and faster.

Failing that, wail on them with strong roundhouse kicks. Let them get inside and block with their arms, if they want. Knock them over if you can, adding embarrassment to slight injury.

Posted On:
    1/14/2010 12:14am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Youn Wha Ryu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I'm a personal fan if intercepting punches. If they lift there leg for a roundhouse or cresent kick just move in and punch them. A lot of people loss there balance after that and stumble back.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/14/2010 12:30am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Great idea except that aside from ITF, most other forms of TKD will either ignore or penalise the punching. Yes, its fucking stupid.

POWERRR!

Posted On:
    1/14/2010 9:40am

Join us... or die
     Style: Boxing.MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Whathappened View Post
    Where I train, no knees, elbow/fists only as we believe that extra hit isn't worth the tradeoff for a potential grapple.
    tell that to ANY MT guy and see what he says.

Yes, I am smarter than you are.

Posted On:
    1/14/2010 10:04am

supporting memberstaff
     Style: TKD, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Depending on the rule set you are competing under as a stocky TKDer you can benefit from a myriad of cheap tournament winning techniques. One of the most effective is the 3/4 stance. You turn your back 3/4 of the way to your opponent and place your lead arm straight down along the line of your body. The back is not a legal point zone, so you can't be hit there. And your arm covers the small exposed area of your body. Because you are stock it is harder for people to get a round you to strike at a legal zone. To protect your head you lean slightly away from your opponent.

Now you just wait for your chance to throw a reverse side kick into your opponents chest. Whenever you do so immediately turn your back completely to them and take a couple of steps away in case they block it. You don't want to get counter punched.

This is BY FAR the most effective strategy I have seen employed by stocky TKDers in point sparring tournaments up to the highest levels of competition outside of the Olympics.
    It works best in ATA style stop point sparring. Works less well in the ITF where you can get penalized for turning your head away from your opponent (because you aren't allowed to punch to the side of the head). Works just fine in the WTF, but most people use a hook kick instead of a side kick and go for the head shot.
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 67 LastLast