Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Featherweight

Posted On:
    6/15/2009 4:41am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Jujutsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    is the point not to be able to "absorb" the kick and still be stable? (in otherwords isnt that what a proper stance prevents?)
    obviously if someone side kicks you while you are doing a spinning back kick your gonna fall on your face, but for sake of conversation

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/17/2009 12:14am

Style: taekwondo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    When i said the sidekick was good for creating space i meant that you can use it to stop the momentum of an oncoming oncomming attack when used as a swift counter. i also only mentioned the part about the spinning kicks because one of the most basic and often used sparring techniques is to counter a hop-step roundhouse kick or rear-leg roundhouse kick with a turning back kick or a spinning hook kick. Many a knockout has come as a result of these technique's whick is why i proposed that a stronger yet slower fighter might be better off using the quick moving power of the hop-step side as oppsed to the roundhouse

Featherweight

Posted On:
    6/27/2009 7:27am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: foot to face

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    you can bullrush them aka run them down while throwing punches as fast as you can, and when they lift their guard roundhouse(dollyo chagi) the hell out of them.

or you can do like me wait for them to attack and just backkick(dwitcha jirugi) the crap out of them. if you get a good backkick in them in their first attack, they will fear you. (nobody at my gym wants to spar me cuz they fear my backkicks)

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/27/2009 10:33am

Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    OP, when at the dojang work on comming in in at different angle and learning when to bullrush and when to keep distance. From what I have seen most beginer sparring tends to get linear (including my own unfortuantly), remember have fun and try and find something that works for you and ask your instructor and older students for advise as well.

Posted On:
    6/27/2009 10:37am

Join us... or die
     Style: Kenkojuku Karate, Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by white_kimbo View Post
    yeah, i know it sounds goofy, but wing chun mixed with TKD is a pretty good combination for point sparring.
    It's a nice idea in theory, but WC is absolutely horrendous at defending kicks FYI. I've sparred quite a few different WC guys, some decent, but every single one of them had a ton of problems dealing with kicks and most actually plainly stated to me during/after: "we're really not used to dealing with kicks in WC".

Yes, I know they do sticky legs and have that intercepting stamp kick thing, but (even if they spar) they practice against other Chunners and pure Chunners almost never have good kicks.

Posted On:
    6/27/2009 11:41am

Style: Shotokan/Shorin Ryu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by EdgeWalker View Post
    5'10 isn't short, thats like 177cm right? (or the rest of the guys at your dojang are tall)

I'm not familiar with TKD sparring or tactics for 'stocky' people (im 182cm, about 6')

however I might know a kick that might help

YouTube - 三日月蹴り mikazukigeri

In karate it's called 'mikazukigeri'. In TKD I think it's called 'bal weol chagi(반월차기, half-moon kick)'

The half-moon kick is a cross between the front kick and middle roundhose kick. You are supposed to kick it diagonally so you hit the ribs. If you consider yourself an infighter, you should try this out.
    Thats a great kick we call it a Kazimi geri . And if your a big guy unless you can set up your rear leg kicks Id suggest trying to use your lead leg alot for quick kicks . Unless your really fast or know how set up your rare leg kicks its going to be slow and a good opponent will see them coming a mile way.
    just a suggestion

Featherweight

Posted On:
    6/27/2009 11:49am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Jujutsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by maofas View Post
    It's a nice idea in theory, but WC is absolutely horrendous at defending kicks FYI. I've sparred quite a few different WC guys, some decent, but every single one of them had a ton of problems dealing with kicks and most actually plainly stated to me during/after: "we're really not used to dealing with kicks in WC".

Yes, I know they do sticky legs and have that intercepting stamp kick thing, but (even if they spar) they practice against other Chunners and pure Chunners almost never have good kicks.
    but it kinda makes sence doesnt it?
    wing chun draws its power from being able to have emence skill and power at close range. at that kinda range a knee is the closest your getting to kicking him.
    not saying wing chun is better, but isnt the idea (behind wing chun) to eliminate kicks completly?

Posted On:
    6/27/2009 11:53am

Style: Shotokan/Shorin Ryu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by EdgeWalker View Post
    5'10 isn't short, thats like 177cm right? (or the rest of the guys at your dojang are tall)

I'm not familiar with TKD sparring or tactics for 'stocky' people (im 182cm, about 6')

however I might know a kick that might help

YouTube - 三日月蹴り mikazukigeri

In karate it's called 'mikazukigeri'. In TKD I think it's called 'bal weol chagi(반월차기, half-moon kick)'

The half-moon kick is a cross between the front kick and middle roundhose kick. You are supposed to kick it diagonally so you hit the ribs. If you consider yourself an infighter, you should try this out.

Great youtube Thanks.

Posted On:
    7/01/2009 1:14pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: ITF TKD

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

work, work, work

Quote Originally Posted by No Name View Post
    Basically im one of two stocky guys who work out at my dojang. I am 5'10 and 215lbs, and allot of the techniques used by the smaller guys in my gym don't work for me. Most of my spinning kicks are just to slow to be practical. I find I need to rely more on counter attacks and let my oppoenet close the distance before I strike. I find that punching works great when I can get in close and tends to suprise most people. Although clashing does not score points, it shakes up opponents and makes then less agressive. Since there are not many other stocky guys at my gym to discuss strategy with, I figured i would see what you guys have to say. What works well for you?
    ok, my main martial art is combat TKD, ITF style under the founder General Choi, and Grand Master Park Jong Soo. My instructors beat on me to move like a light weight. im about 6'2" and am 230 lbs, I have good reach with my hands but i have always felt my legs to be too short for my frame. it took a lot of practice, constant, and understanding of strtategy. i constantly move, bouncing on the balls of my feet. this is used for confusing my opponent and allowing me more spring. I train many Plyomotric excersises as well. I move like a light weight, stamina and reaction time helped too. i practiced things i couldnt do until they where effective. i use the momentum of my bouncing, and sliding leg combinations to move as quick, its tiring forcing your muscles to move that fast, but if its what you want you gotta do it.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    7/06/2009 1:58am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Isshin-ryu, Kyokushinkan

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    To get back to helping you tactics wise. You need to practice footwork and the technical aspects of kicking.

I'm 5'8" 185-190 pounds depending on what kind of fighting I'm doing. I was on a university Taekwondo team, just to do something new (I came from a knockdown background). I ended up winning almost all my fights, but it took some getting used to. Once you figure the game out, you really rely on just 3-4 kicks in WTF competition. The round house kick, the fast kick, the back kick, and depending on who you are the cut kick or the spinning hook kick. For you, it'll probably be the cut kick, which is a front leg side kick meant to stop the other person's momentum. It can be followed quickly by a round house kick.

You need to seriously drill the basics, especially the round house kick, which is the staple scoring tool for almost every TKD fighter. You also need to work on your hujin, your backward motion, and your chunjin your forward motion. When you hujin, it should never be straight backwards. If you can work angles, it can negate some of your opponent's speed and help yours. Also, big, stocky guys can be quick, but their mechanics have to be sound. Try to hit people as fast as possible, not as hard as possible. Once you have the speed and technique, you can start trying to knock people over. It's just a lot of getting used to, but even as a stocky guy, you can get lighter on your feet, quicker in change of direction, and faster to the point of attack. It just takes a lot of time, correct training, and dedication.
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 567 LastLast