Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 12 3456 ... LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Posted On:
    5/28/2009 3:41pm

Style: Judo+soon 2b bjj,boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by EdgeWalker View Post
    5'10 isn't short, thats like 177cm right? (or the rest of the guys at your dojang are tall)

I'm not familiar with TKD sparring or tactics for 'stocky' people (im 182cm, about 6')

however I might know a kick that might help

YouTube - 三日月蹴り mikazukigeri

In karate it's called 'mikazukigeri'. In TKD I think it's called 'bal weol chagi(반월차기, half-moon kick)'

The half-moon kick is a cross between the front kick and middle roundhose kick. You are supposed to kick it diagonally so you hit the ribs. If you consider yourself an infighter, you should try this out.

This.

I believe this is what my TKD school considers an arc kick; like a round-house, but with a bigger swinging motion, compared to a chamber, to get under someones guard.

Funny, to help someone improve their tae kwon do, you reference them to kyukoshin, which was founded by a Korean.
    Let your anger be like a monkey trapped inside a pinata; waiting inside, hoping that the children don't break through with the stick.

-Master Tang (Kung Pow! Enter the Fist)

A word to the wise ain't necessary. It's the stupid ones who need the advice.
    Bill Cosby

The believer is happy, the doubter wise.
    Greek proverb

Quote Originally Posted by Nicko1 View Post
    Martial Talk is not neutral, it's just neutered.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    6/01/2009 11:11pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Tae Kwon Do and Hapkido

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    My bad it took me so long to respond I am in the process of moving. The School I go to is a WTF school. Thanks for the feedback guy I'm going to tryisome of it out on friday.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    6/01/2009 11:15pm

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by EdgeWalker View Post
    5'10 isn't short, thats like 177cm right? (or the rest of the guys at your dojang are tall)

I'm not familiar with TKD sparring or tactics for 'stocky' people (im 182cm, about 6')

however I might know a kick that might help

YouTube - 三日月蹴り mikazukigeri

In karate it's called 'mikazukigeri'. In TKD I think it's called 'bal weol chagi(반월차기, half-moon kick)'

The half-moon kick is a cross between the front kick and middle roundhose kick. You are supposed to kick it diagonally so you hit the ribs. If you consider yourself an infighter, you should try this out.
    The guys at my gym are not all that tall, but they guys in me weight class are. I weigh about 215 and most guys who fight at that weight are 6 feet plus.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    6/01/2009 11:22pm

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by MMAMickey View Post
    ever considered a different style? stocky guys (myself included) tend to suffer in pointfighting
    I was thinking about trying judo because I think it might be better suited for me. I used to do muay thai, but my gym closed and the other gyms are to far of a drive. Im a good striker, but I get my ass handed to me in points fighting.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/06/2009 12:33pm

Style: TKD Hapkido Judo Tai Chi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    You didn't say how long you been studying. All of us had our ass kicked when we first started.

I got into the conversation late so everything I would have said has already been said. But just to synopsis... as a short stocky person I always learned I had to close in the space before the skinny, tall fighters could knock my block off. I used to do hook kick followed by roundhouse not putting my leg down all the damn time and I could do it the whole match and for some reason people just wouldn't know how to defend against it or anticipate it. Spinning backfist is also a good one I used.

You can use spinning kicks, but use them by practicing over and over working up a sweat. And sweat off your weight so you will become more agile. Seriously only tall lanky people do well in TKD. Yeah you can do Judo or some other grappling, but personally I always hated my Judo classes and loved TKD because its more exciting. Who likes rolling in the floor under someone's sweaty armpit? Yeah grappling is practical for real life fighting and is generally how fights are won, outside of using a gun. But how many people really get into fights as adults unless they are drug dealing gangsta wannnabees?

Featherweight

Posted On:
    6/06/2009 2:29pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Jujutsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Tae kwon do is the sports version of karate in my oppinion but aside from that you should try be as unconventional as possible

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/06/2009 9:23pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Oh and tuck yourself in and let loose a bunch of punches to the solar plexus and flank. TKD'ers tend to forget to punch or even block so use that to your advantage.

Posted On:
    6/06/2009 9:43pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Wohali View Post
    Yeah you can do Judo or some other grappling, but personally I always hated my Judo classes and loved TKD because its more exciting.

:flipando: I can't see how someone who has done judo could go back to TKD, in my opinion, just from the fact that judo tends to be a lot more physically demanding from my experiences in both arts. This is from a guy who did TKD for 6 and a half years, and from my first randori was hooked on judo. Would they be more exciting because it is harder for you to kick, or something along those lines?
    I'm about 5'9 and 195-200 lbs and TKD was too easy and didn't motivate me as much as judo did to get in shape. It is just a lot more fun to me.
    Let your anger be like a monkey trapped inside a pinata; waiting inside, hoping that the children don't break through with the stick.

Bill Cosby

Greek proverb

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/06/2009 10:38pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I studied TKD, Hapkido and Judo or more correctly Yudo all at the same time. My Korean master was trained in all 3. I honestly just never liked Judo that much just a bunch of smelly guys rolling around and its even boring to watch the matches. Hated the uniform. Though in all honesty its the best for learning self protection well that combined with some of the Hapkido techniques. Maybe it was just the instructors but TKD was more physically demanding and worked up more sweat faster. It always seems like Judo-only people are always kinda fat (no offense). Course I don't have the genetics for TKD but enjoyed the challenge. I know most view it as a sport, but I viewed it as an art form and a way of life. I also did visit some Tang Soo Do and Isshinryu (sp?) & Taoist Tai Chi schools after I got my blackbelt and have to say I always like the kicking styles the best. I should have stayed at the Korean school but I had to get on with life ie: finish college and get a better job.

Posted On:
    6/06/2009 10:49pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    You like kicks, I like throws. It's all good, my man. I guess we are just two different people.

The thing that really gets me with judo is that the gi is so thick, I find it makes you sweat much faster. Plus, after I do randori, I get a major burn in my legs and hips that stays there for a week, which I never got from TKD. What can I say, I'm a sucker for martial arts that make you feel pain and work you untill you collapse :) .

\asshole
    I can totaly see your point with the sweaty guys thing, though, as immature as it is. I never heard too many people complain about this in judo as much as in BJJ. I guess some of us are comfortable with our sexual preferences, that we don't let stuff like that bother us.
    /asshole

But seriously, though, it was nice to hear your answer.

Sincerely,

ZoA.

Bill Cosby

Greek proverb

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 12 3456 ... LastLast