Posted On:
    6/10/2010 8:46am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: General

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Does this school look good?

http://www.redtangsoodo.com/

Generally any place that doesn't require a contract piques my interest. What do you guys think?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/10/2010 11:42am

Style: BJJ n stuff

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Not too many super fit looking fighter types in the pics... nice looking gym though. I've done a few different styles but never Tang Soo Do so I won't comment on that but one thing I've learnt over the years is that you get better training in a class full of guys who are in better shape than you. If the classes are full of scrawny teenagers and housewives then don't bother, you can't train hard in that environment. If there is an adult class full of mean looking dudes that enjoy kicking each other around then you could always give it a go for free and see what you think. This isn't by any chance your club is it?

Posted On:
    6/10/2010 2:54pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: General

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    No. I stopped doing martial arts about a year and a half ago and I've been looking to start back, but most of the schools in my area look a little shady. And you have a good point, hence my hesitation. I've only visited this place once or twice and viewed the site and everyone looks relatively out of shape.

Valiant Monk of Booze & War

Posted On:
    6/13/2010 8:58pm

supporting memberstaff
     Style: BJJ/C-JKD/KAAALIII!!!!!!!

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I'm not a fan of the Migukgwan. In fact, I think they're the antithesis of what Dangsudo should be striving for.

However, I've heard nothing but good things about Bernard Redfield.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    6/14/2010 12:36am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Tang soo do

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by DerAuslander108 View Post
    I'm not a fan of the Migukgwan. In fact, I think they're the antithesis of what Dangsudo should be striving for.

However, I've heard nothing but good things about Bernard Redfield.
    My google-fu is sorely lacking - probably as bad as my tang soo do. :binkybaby I have found the mi guk kwan page, but I am unsure of the differences between that and "traditional" tang soo do. Is it somehow like soo bahk do (which claims to reincorporate the ancient korean arts in a more flowing style)? Does the reference to different styles for different ages mean more tai chi type stuff? Is it the meditation?
    http://www.tsdmgk.com/about_tsdmgk.html

(I am all for meditation, and yoga, etc. and I love to see tai chi, just can't see you can do all that and learn how to fight in an hour class).

what should Dangsudo strive for? (why the different spellings?)

The interesting thing about that claim for MGK (that we have to use softer styles as we age) vs. the tang soo do where I take classes is that in our adult classes we are a mix of ages, and the over forties (except me) are the hardest/toughest guys in class. There are a couple of late fifties guys who took it up and are pretty tough too.

Anyway, hope I am not derailing the thread. I can start a new one. Your statement raised some questions for me. Thank you.

Valiant Monk of Booze & War

Posted On:
    6/14/2010 9:42am

supporting memberstaff
     Style: BJJ/C-JKD/KAAALIII!!!!!!!

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by tsdnoob View Post
    My google-fu is sorely lacking - probably as bad as my tang soo do. :binkybaby I have found the mi guk kwan page, but I am unsure of the differences between that and "traditional" tang soo do. Is it somehow like soo bahk do (which claims to reincorporate the ancient korean arts in a more flowing style)? Does the reference to different styles for different ages mean more tai chi type stuff? Is it the meditation?
    http://www.tsdmgk.com/about_tsdmgk.html
    The Migukgwan is split off of the US Subakdo Federation.

(I am all for meditation, and yoga, etc. and I love to see tai chi, just can't see you can do all that and learn how to fight in an hour class).
    Now we're getting somewhere.

what should Dangsudo strive for?
    Depths, rather than broad shallows. The Migukgwan has added several different hyeong to its curriculum, added in bits of Aikido, bits of Geomdo, bits of this, bits of that. Rather than looking at various influences with an eye to modify toward simplicity, you end up with an ad hoc of forms and concepts with no thread of commonality. A system that tries to be all things to all people.

(why the different spellings?)
    The one I use is correct based on Seoul Standard Romaja. Most American transliterations, such as Tang Soo Do, are phonetically inaccurate or incorrect.

Anyway, hope I am not derailing the thread. I can start a new one. Your statement raised some questions for me. Thank you.
    No worries.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    6/14/2010 11:57am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Tang soo do

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Thanks for the response!