Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Dysfunctionally Strong

Posted On:
    5/30/2009 1:27pm

supporting member
     Style: Boxing/Wrestling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    This article actually touches a good deal on some of the issues many athletes encounter when attempting to utilize olympic lifts in their training program

http://elitefts.com/documents/triple..._movements.htm

I realize it's for football, but there's still something to be taken here. Elitefts has 2 more aticles similar to this.
    "Emevas,
    You're a scrapper, I like that."-Ronin69

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/03/2009 7:56am

Style: boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by TheRuss View Post
    Are you sure you don't "get" the risk thing? I mean, you went on to express it. If you grab a rookie who hasn't had that tumbling/breakfall experience and start throwing him in that manner, what's likely to happen?

Injury. They'll be required to discontinue their training, at least in that particular form.

So what do you do instead? You train them in a different manner that's more likely to be sustainable.

---

The bottom line is that if you take more risk than is required to achieve a particular* reward, you're training sub-optimally - and I'd say stupidly.

This is very true. And, IMO, it also goes the other way (too little risk). Im traveling right now and visited a gym on a day pass today. I asked for a squat rack and was taken to a smith machine (they didnt have a squat rack) and a lecture ensued on why squats were dangerous without a smith machine ... while he was padding the bar (took me a few minutes to even convince him I didnt need or want the padding). Ill be looking for another gym today.

Then there was the gym (in Italy) that asked me for my Dr. Letter when I asked for a day pass. After 10 minutes of conversation I convinced them to let me workout for 3 days with no Dr permission.

But yes, its all about risk/reward.

is badder than you

Posted On:
    6/03/2009 9:57am

Join us... or die
     Style: None

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by muddy View Post
    This is very true. And, IMO, it also goes the other way (too little risk). Im traveling right now and visited a gym on a day pass today. I asked for a squat rack and was taken to a smith machine (they didnt have a squat rack) and a lecture ensued on why squats were dangerous without a smith machine ... while he was padding the bar (took me a few minutes to even convince him I didnt need or want the padding). Ill be looking for another gym today.

Then there was the gym (in Italy) that asked me for my Dr. Letter when I asked for a day pass. After 10 minutes of conversation I convinced them to let me workout for 3 days with no Dr permission.

But yes, its all about risk/reward.
    I'd say there's no such thing as too little risk. There is certainly such a thing as too little reward.

And that's amusing... squats dangerous without a Smith machine. Whoever told you that shouldn't be allowed near a gym.
    Quote Originally Posted by Emevas View Post
    Downstreet on the flip-flop, timepants.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/08/2009 10:56pm

Style: Classified

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

My thoughts

Crossfit is spreading all over at a faster rate than I ever thought it would, however like so many things that become so popular, it's subject to criticism and with good cause. Firstly, I love this article:

http://www.tmuscle.com/free_online_a...about_crossfit

Secondly, when top leaders in the fitness industry like Charles Poliquin, Mike Boyle and even Physical Therapist Gray Cook have negative things to say about crossfit, I'd start listening up.

I also tried a crossfit gym but mainly I wanted to see the facility. They had some Gymnastics rings, which are amazing tools to train with. I am a competitive artistic gymnast, I've been involved in gymnastics for about 8 years. I also work as a Kinesiologist, so I know a couple things about fitness.

I can tell you than many of the "techniques" they teach about ring training, right down to the basics, are very improper. Crossfit also has a Gymnastics Certification program which costs almost a grand to get and the program is a complete waste. No one on the gymnastics community would ever take a "Crossfit certified gymnastics trainer" very seriously.

It's a nice facility, and it sure is way better than doing nothing or doing some pansy power 90 program, nevertheless, if you want to learn how to use gymnastics rings, Crossfit is not the place (unless of course the trainer there was a real gymnast. I know I am.

I'm sure I'll get "flamed" or whatever for this post, but I frankly don't care. I have a life so I'm hardly on this. Here's my two cents for the day, enjoy!

An American Hero!

Posted On:
    6/09/2009 12:24am

Business Class Supporting Membersupporting member
     TryKickboxingNow.com - Free Internet Marketing for Kickboxing Programs! Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The only thing I hate about CrossFit is the price. The ones near me charge #250 per month to workout in the group classes. Thats ridiculous, especially since it's not even personal training but everything is done in a group. Then you have to remember that the WOD is all on the main website, so it's not like they have to form a workout plan for everybody. They do train you in the proper technique but again, it's in a group setting and just a ridonkulous price.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/09/2009 8:04am

Style: Jerry-Bashing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    As fearless investigations go, the conclusion of that t-muscle article redefines tepid sophistry:

Is CrossFit the only training system you'll ever need, as its founder and its most enthusiastic members claim? No. And most CrossFitters I've communicated with will acknowledge that. Is CrossFit a fun, challenging, effective training method? Yes ... but only if the benefits it offers are the ones you seek. As long as its goals match your goals, I recommend it.
    Wow. Stunning analysis.

Dysfunctionally Strong

Posted On:
    6/09/2009 4:00pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    It's a pretty profound statement in the weight training world really. Many people train without goals, which is fundamentally the cause of their downfall.
    "Emevas,

STOP POSTING!

Posted On:
    6/09/2009 4:22pm

supporting member
     Style: Muay Thai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    all of my clients set goals, whther it a bench weight, weight loss, whatever. without goals you are basically fucking yourself over imo and arent gonna get anywhere.

Dysfunctionally Strong

Posted On:
    6/09/2009 8:55pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Alex View Post
    all of my clients set goals, whther it a bench weight, weight loss, whatever. without goals you are basically fucking yourself over imo and arent gonna get anywhere.
    Exactly
    "Emevas,

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/09/2009 9:11pm

Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by GIJoe6186 View Post
    The only thing I hate about CrossFit is the price. The ones near me charge #250 per month to workout in the group classes. Thats ridiculous, especially since it's not even personal training but everything is done in a group. Then you have to remember that the WOD is all on the main website, so it's not like they have to form a workout plan for everybody. They do train you in the proper technique but again, it's in a group setting and just a ridonkulous price.

I don't know anything about Crossfit other than what I've learned in this thread, but I can't imagine what fitness goal one could have that couldn't be accomplished for less than $250/month.

$250/month is obscene. Just obscene. And yet people are willing to pay it...

I might look deeper into this Crossfit business. I've been looking for a new investment. My buddy invested in a Curve franchise and he made fantastic returns before he sold his stake to one of the other investors.
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456