Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/25/2009 4:49pm

Style: Krotty/Crapple/Goonery

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Kintanon View Post
    I woul have done it longer but having to find substitutes for 70% of the exercises ended up being too much of a pita for me.
    That's pretty much my situation as well.

For whatever it is worth, I originally heard about it from one of the officers in my regiment who is also some kind of PT coordinator for a local police tac team He swears by it.

Welterweight

Posted On:
    5/26/2009 11:47am

supporting member
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I used to be a pretty die-hard Crossfit proponent but I've moved on a bit now. I suppose my opinion can be summarised thus:

Very good for general fitness, sub-optimal for achieving specific goals.
    Dedicated to legs and the disrespecting thereof.

An American Hero!

Posted On:
    5/26/2009 12:15pm

Business Class Supporting Membersupporting member
     TryKickboxingNow.com - Free Internet Marketing for Kickboxing Programs! Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Great for GPP. It's also great for people who aren't training as a full time fighter or anything like that because it provides tons of cross training (the GPP and hence CrossFit).

If you're a fighter it's still great GPP to do a few times a week and CrossFit even suggests that people who have a primary sport (not CrossFit as a goal), that they focus on their sport and sport specific workouts while using CrossFit as a form of cross-training.

It's easy too tailor crossfit workouts to a fighter specific routine though too. Just pick some of the workouts you like and feel relate to your sport and focus on them. Currently I use Fran, Grace and some other workouts that aren't named. I also mixed them up on my own making CrossFit workouts that aren't WOD.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/26/2009 1:35pm

Style: Jerry-Bashing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Have to agree that it seems great for GPP, and now that I'm 40 GPP is my primary aim - much more so than boxing, unless Henry Cooper's coming out of retirement.

For sport-specific training and specialization in general, practice your sport more.

How do elenchus?

Posted On:
    5/27/2009 1:41am

Style: gah, transition again

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I like their 'do everything' attitude (but hey, Ross says that too), and their 'tabata rocks' attitude, but I don't like their 'high rep olympic lift' attitude and I don't like their 'a little poor form is acceptable' attitude. Any amount of bad form is bad form, period, and the last thing you want to do is develop bad habits when your body is under weights.
    Lord Krishna said: I am terrible time the destroyer of all beings in all worlds, engaged to destroy all beings in this world; Of those heroic soldiers presently situated in the opposing army, even without you none will be spared.
    Bhagavad Gita 11:32

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/27/2009 2:26am

Style: BJJ+CSW+MT+FMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by socratic View Post
    I like their 'do everything' attitude (but hey, Ross says that too), and their 'tabata rocks' attitude, but I don't like their 'high rep olympic lift' attitude and I don't like their 'a little poor form is acceptable' attitude. Any amount of bad form is bad form, period, and the last thing you want to do is develop bad habits when your body is under weights.
    Agree 100%, plus I must make mention of how cultish many crossfitters seem to be. Not saying that everyone that does crossfit has that mentality, just a bunch that I've met. I tend to go with Ross's stuff instead of crossfit as a result of these issues.

Posted On:
    5/27/2009 2:29am

Style: SAMBO

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I personally am just ignoring the "a little bad form is acceptable" thing, and doing the lifts with correct form. Ok, its going to minimally slower, but hey I wont **** my back up.

My currently very short foray into Crossfit has also given me the impression that its very intensive on the shoulders, which could be a problem at some point.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/27/2009 3:48am

Style: Judo (injury), ETS-do

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I started attending some crossfit classes, and it sucks, but in an AWESOME way. And, with any activity, it's easier to stay motivated and push through with a group, which is my biggest problem. I get really fucking lazy and just play video games on my off time, and have a hard time maintaining a regular routine. Unless I've commited myself to a function. And then that asshole starts getting ahead of me in the workout, in which case I push harder so I don't feel like such a pansy.

It's good PT, and very easily scalable for varying levels of fitness.

How do elenchus?

Posted On:
    5/27/2009 4:28am

Style: gah, transition again

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by honesty View Post
    I personally am just ignoring the "a little bad form is acceptable" thing, and doing the lifts with correct form. Ok, its going to minimally slower, but hey I wont **** my back up.
    It'd be much better if your coach cared about perfect form.
    Lord Krishna said: I am terrible time the destroyer of all beings in all worlds, engaged to destroy all beings in this world; Of those heroic soldiers presently situated in the opposing army, even without you none will be spared.
    Bhagavad Gita 11:32

Dysfunctionally Strong

Posted On:
    5/27/2009 7:12am

supporting member
     Style: Boxing/Wrestling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by honesty View Post

My currently very short foray into Crossfit has also given me the impression that its very intensive on the shoulders, which could be a problem at some point.
    I believe Poliquin critiqued the order of training on how destructive it could be on the shoulders. SOmeone prolly has the link somewhere.
    "Emevas,
    You're a scrapper, I like that."-Ronin69
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 12 3456 LastLast