Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Administrator

Posted On:
    5/23/2009 10:29am

staff
     Style: xingyi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I knew this was going to happen. I'm tempted to close the thread.

Here are two posts, from the thread I provided, that sum up Hapkido quite well IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by Deraus
    Check the school.

If you spar under Pro-Hapkido or MMA rules, then it's good.

If they spend the majority of their time grabbing each other's wrist...then don't waste your time.
    Quote Originally Posted by Deraus
    Heed this man's words. 90% of hapkido sucks, the above parameters lead to exceptions.

Actual Photo

Posted On:
    5/23/2009 10:40am

supporting member
     Style: Recovery-Fu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by It is Fake View Post
    I knew this was going to happen. I'm tempted to close the thread.

Here are two posts, from the thread I provided, that sum up Hapkido quite well IMO.
    Oh lord ... IIF ... did you just take me seriously ?

cause yeah those six schools I mentioned ...they are spread out over the entire world .

LOL

Strip mall Hapkido .
    Quote Originally Posted by Bodhi108 View Post
    Nuke a unborn gay whale for Christ.
    I don't mean to sound bitter, cold, or cruel, but I am, so that's how it comes out.
    BILL HICKS,
    1961-1994

Administrator

Posted On:
    5/23/2009 10:45am

staff

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    No, I'm talking about this
    Additional info: The nearest pleace near me is this dojo where they teach Tae Kwan Do, Brazillian jiu jitsu, Judo, and Hapkido....I was thinking of either taking Brazillian jiu jitsu or Hapkido, I called up there and asked if they did "alive" training/sparring e.t.c
    and he said you will get to spar/alive training after a month, then Said they did "randori" IM very noobish when it comes to grappling, so I dont really know he bullshido side of grappling (except Aikido, lol) I asked about belt ranking for BJJ and Judo and he told me that BJJ ranking takes alot longer then TKD ranking, he saidabout 5-6 years for BJJ black belt (if he trains at a steady pace) BJJ/Judo is 3 days a week, and this is the only place I can find near Marion,Indiana

here is the website: http://www.mudokwan.org/

number: 765-662-2332

It would be very nice if some one can check it out for me and check the results, cause I cant find bullshido in grappling to save my life -.-
    which was precipitated byt this:

every martial art is effective in it's own way. it wouldn't have been invented otherwise.
    the application is what matters most. what are you interested in hapkido for? MMA? self defence, or just a workout?
    i train in kumo jiu jitsu and kickboxing. i do it because it's practical, and effective in ANY giving situation. MMA, self defence, etc.
    before you get into any martial art, you need to think about why you want to start training in the first place. then do some homework on your options... and go from there
    Which led to this:

For all practicle purposes, no. "Exceptions, training with aliveness, depends on the person, blah, blah, blah." None of that really matters. Judo and BJJ are arts where you can prove and test them daily in free fighting. HKD is not. Avoid it like the plague.
    Which will eventually turn this thread, in noobietown, into one of the two threads already listed.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/23/2009 10:45am

Style: Hapkido, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I'll just add to what most folks are saying here. 90% (I'm guessing) of Hapkido schools suck terribly. However, occasionally you'll find an amazingly good school. Look for contact sparring, takedown sparring, and open randori (free grappling). Look for physically fit people. Make sure the school has nothing to do with Tae Kwon Do.

Administrator

Posted On:
    5/23/2009 10:47am

staff

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeffrey View Post
    I'll just add to what most folks are saying here. 90% (I'm guessing) of Hapkido schools suck terribly. However, occasionally you'll find an amazingly good school. Look for contact sparring, takedown sparring, and open randori (free grappling). Look for physically fit people. Make sure the school has nothing to do with Tae Kwon Do.
    ^^^See?

Actual Photo

Posted On:
    5/23/2009 10:53am

supporting member
     Style: Recovery-Fu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeffrey View Post
    LOL ok ... yeah I see . I should have more faith .

If anyone is lost or confused , here is the spoiler .

YOU WILL NOT FIND IT , DON'T GET YOUR HOPES UP !
    Quote Originally Posted by Bodhi108 View Post
    Nuke a unborn gay whale for Christ.
    I don't mean to sound bitter, cold, or cruel, but I am, so that's how it comes out.
    BILL HICKS,
    1961-1994

Featherweight

Posted On:
    5/23/2009 5:09pm

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by BackFistMonkey View Post
    LOL ok ... yeah I see . I should have more faith .

If anyone is lost or confused , here is the spoiler .

YOU WILL NOT FIND IT , DON'T GET YOUR HOPES UP !
    There's at least one.

If you live in South Florida (East Coast) and are interested in verifying it for yourself please come to our open mat night (Friday nights) 7:30 Coconut Creek at our Hapkido dojang. You can "not find":
    .- Gi/no-gi grappling (stand up and knee grapples)
    .- contact sparring (medium contact)
    .- work partners for any other skills (rolling/falling? Judo-style throw/fitting drills, guard passing, arm/knee-bar practice).

Details here: http://www.bullshido.net/forums/show...t=77252&page=5

If you care to come to the regular class you can also "not find" all of the above as regular training .

But: also wrist locks.

-Marco
    / Tryin' to drum up attendance

Administrator

Posted On:
    5/23/2009 5:14pm

staff

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    ^^^ The last shoe drops.

The inevitable "come to my gym" response. Off to YMAS.

I am a living legend!

Posted On:
    5/23/2009 5:26pm

supporting member
     Style: Tatsumaki Senpuu Kyaku

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    This is like asking if a Honda Odyssey is a good car for racing with. Yes, you can theoretically with a good enough driver, make it do cool things.

But this isn't a honda odyssey, this is like asking if the Daewoo Damas is a good car for racing. Yes, theoretcially with a good enough driver, you can make it "work."

My question is, why do you want to drive on a course with a mini-van? It was made for women, emasculated men, 16 year old girls and children. Not serious drivers.

Posted On:
    5/23/2009 5:46pm

Style: Kyokushin

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Dang it!, This is the only place "I" could find around Marion,Indiana,
    And yeah...I thought the whole BJJ black belt in 5-6 years sounded a little fishy to me......-.-, And guess what? its a Tae Kwan Do school....I looked for many good jiu jitsu schools around my area but I suck at searching -.-
    Any one here can help me look around Marion, Indiana for good jiu jitsu classes?
    You will be saving my grappling life. Lol
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123 456 LastLast