Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/22/2009 12:58pm

Style: BJJ (faixa branca)

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Prone to Cramping, interfering w/ training

I've been prone to cramping/charlie horses my whole life. I used to get them in my sleep.

Once I learned about potassium, it got a lot better, however, I have yet to go to a BJJ class where the soles of my feet didn't cramp in mid drill/roll.

Sometimes my toes are forced up, sometimes, they are forced down, but either way, I have to stop the drill until it goes away.

I'm eating bananas. I always do the warm ups and stretches with the rest of the class, but nothing is preventing the cramping.

Any suggestions?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/22/2009 1:00pm

Style: Yang style Tai Chi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Could be dehydration/heat fatigue. I'd increase your overall water intake, not just before training or on training days, and see what happens. Maybe add some gatorade or the like.

How's your diet?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/22/2009 1:08pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I'll do those things, thanks.

My diet sucks. I started bjj at the same time I started a Paleo diet. The cramps were happening when I was on it, and now that I'm off (not eating right for athletics for maybe 1.5 weeks now), its still happening.

As it is, I'm a 6-8 cups of water a day person, and more on training days. But I never drink right before training b/c I'm afraid of stomach muscles cramping. So, there is usually an hour and a half, or 2 between my last drink of water and when training begins.

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    5/22/2009 1:12pm

supporting member
     Style: stick,Taiji, mountainbike

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    What color is your pee? A good rule of thumb, if you pee is yellow you need more water. If it is clear, you are good. If it persists with potassium supplements and proper hydration, then you should see a doctor.

You could be having early indication of all kinds of stuff from claudication from a heart problem, to thyroid problems. There is all kinds of stuff.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/08/2009 8:52am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Just wanted to thank you guys for the advice. The supplements are working wonders. Sometimes, i will still get light cramping, but I don't have to stop rolling.. I work through it.

Now another problem.. will post elsewhere as is unrelated

Posted On:
    6/08/2009 4:02pm

Style: Muay Thai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I hardely drink water, my bones cracked alot, pee was stronger then pine sol, skin looked un-healthy (still lookin secsi like always though), but then I realized it was from not drinking much water, when I look back I am very surprised how much I was able to move and work out without drinking enough water, I drunk like a cup of water each 2 weeks, or longer, (serious) I still forget to drink water, I have been drinking water more though, but still forget lol

Middleweight

Posted On:
    6/08/2009 5:00pm

supporting member
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Potassium most likely isnt the problem...magnesium and calcium are the more likely culprit. Potassium is the cause of lethargy and SOMETIMES cramps. I will try and remember to post later and expound.
    Quote Originally Posted by OnceLost View Post
    Actually, I don't do it because I don't want people to be scammed - I do it because I enjoy kicking down the doors of Lies and Deceit and then forcibly fucking Fraud with the dildo of Truth.
    Quote Originally Posted by It is Fake View Post
    I don't care if they gave it to him because, he tickles butterfly butt-holes while wearing a pink frock.

Posted On:
    6/08/2009 6:42pm

Join us... or die
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I don't think the feet thing is related to the leg cramps. You're new to BJJ and you are probably using the muscles in your feet differently and more frequently than you're used to. I got that a lot when I started JJJ. I can't remember the last time it happened now.

Posted On:
    6/08/2009 11:27pm

Style: BJJ/Zumba

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Yeah, I'd say magnesium and potassium...you have the potassium down, magnesium supps, maybe? Try them out and see.

When I started hitting up 2 hours classes my arms were cramping up viciously, I'd lose strength and power, while still being ready to go, was t3h suck. Realised I'd been keeping magnesium up, but not my potassium.

Now I'm all good! Roll away!
    Daniel: I don't know if I know enough karate.

Miyagi: Feeling correct.

Daniel: You sure know how to make a guy feel confident.

Miyagi: You trust the quality of what you know, not quantity.

Skinnyweight

Posted On:
    6/09/2009 11:11am

supporting member
     Style: MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Coconut water.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast