Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Posted On:
    5/21/2009 7:37am

forum leader
     Style: BJJ/ MMA/ MT

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Anyone hear of TCB martial arts?

Specifically "Master Sifu Zaya" of Sydney, Australia. Couple of black belt claims (kenpo karate, kung fu, pankration), including 5th degree black belt from Elvis Presleys Taking Care of Business system of martial arts.
    I visited the "Contender" gym in Blacktown as they had kickboxing/ muay thai/ boxing/ grappling advertised. I checked out their kickboxing and was informed they were mostly beginners in the advanced class (some couldn't make it to the earlier beginners class). I might take up them on the offer of a free class when I move there mid year to try them out for muay thai.
    When I asked about grappling, I was given a card for this guy, Master Sifu Zaya. Thanks to this site and others I am wary of instructors that claim grappling, kung fu, karate and MMA. I'm even more wary of Elvis impersonators outside of Vegas...
    I have checked out his website, www.tcbmartialarts.com and am not entirely convinced of the guys grappling credentials, however, as I have very little knowledge of the ground game I would not be able to make an experienced assessment of his class.
    I just wanted to know if anyone has heard of him, TCB or any of his promotions in Australia or anywhere else in the world.

As an aside, if anyone has trained in TCB/ Elvis Presley's system, let us know...

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/21/2009 7:58am

Style: Muay Thai, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Their schedule says they only have kickboxing one day a week... that's probably why all their students are beginners.
    YouTube - TCB Pankration

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/21/2009 8:21am

Style: sambo, stuff

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Grandmaster Elvis and black-belts in pankration sure gave me a "WTF!?" moment. But at least they seem to have fighters competing.

I was wondering about how one could achieve a "black-belt" in pankration. I ended up here:

http://www.teamusapankration.com

Which seems to be where this particular school seems to draw their rankings from.

I was blessed with finding this quote:

Pankration is a universal system, includes elements of Karate, Tai Kwon Do, Jujitsu, Kempo, Kung-fu, Wrestling, and Submission Grappling.
    I am still crying. So is Theseus up in the Olymp.

The with Uniform Division holds to a strict military philosphy.
    When on the ground get back to your feet as soon as possible. Because in real combat a wrestling match can become a knife fight an opponent may bite, there is no defense against eye attacks and his companions can attack you while you are down on the ground.This division limits ground time to 30 seconds after a takedown and then returns both fighters to their feet to continue. The World Championship and Olympic Sanctionized Events use these rules.
    The No Uniform Division offers unlimited time on the ground. The basic orientation is skill not reality combat. The dangers of "dirty fighting", biting, weapons, or defending against a group of opponents are ignored in favor of demostrating skill in grappling. Many International Championships favor the no uniform rules.
    *goes off to have a healthy session of chain-vomiting*

Posted On:
    5/21/2009 5:49pm

forum leader
     Style: BJJ/ MMA/ MT

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by NoTeefa View Post
    Their schedule says they only have kickboxing one day a week... that's probably why all their students are beginners.
    Yeah bro, that's just TCB, he actually operates out of the "Contender" gym at Blacktown on a Monday night which I attended recently to check them out. The gym actually has a full schedule all week and you can participate as much as you want for around $20 a week, which is reasonable over here. The trainer for the muay thai and kickboxing seemed on the ball so I wouldn't want to make comments regarding the gym.
    The whole muddling of martial history made me chuckle, as well as some of the pictures in TCB's slideshow. It shows Elvis, although a known practicioner (?) of martial arts, as a white belt but goes on to say he is an 8th degree in his own style?!?! And using government certificates in coaching to bolster your "experience" seems disingenuous.
    Anyway, I might stick with Gracie or Machado schools, they are a bit further away (I was hoping to find something real close to the house I am buying), but the extra travel should be worth it.
    Thanks for the initial comments guys, I appreciate it.

is a Godd*mn Federale!

Posted On:
    5/21/2009 10:05pm

supporting member
     Style: Clinchology: Judo & MT

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    If you have a legit Machado or Gracie school within driving distance, it'll be worth the time it takes to drive there. The time you spend in the car is time you would've wasted at a questionable school that's more convenient.

Rudy Reyes > Bear Grylls

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/21/2009 11:43pm

Style: Muay Thai, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by battlefields View Post
    Yeah bro, that's just TCB, he actually operates out of the "Contender" gym at Blacktown on a Monday night
    By "he" you mean sifu Zaya right? And you are curious about his grappling credentials yes?
    Head Instructor Sifu Zaya
    • Over 16 years Martial Arts experience.
    • Certificate 3 in Martial Arts
    • Certificate 1 in Kung Fu
    • 5th Degree Black Belt TCB Martial Arts
    • 4th Degree Red Sash CWKD Kung Fu
    • 2nd Degree Black Belt Pankration
    I don't know if a blackbelt in "pankration" from a martial arts organization started by an Elvis impersonator should really be considered a grappling credential at all.
    IMHO you should go to a legitimate BJJ school if you can.
    YouTube - TCB Grand Master Elvis

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/26/2010 9:37pm

Style: Pankration/Kickboxing/BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Hey guys I know of this TCB school and the claims for a Pankration Black belt. The instructor "zaya" is actually a nice guy. I asked him about his pankration black belt and where he obtained it from and he advised me that he got it from a guy by the name of Kon. P who is also on that particular website.

Does anyone know who this Kon Papioannou is ? his credentials also seem to be suss ???