Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    1/19/2004 11:16pm

supporting member
     Style: Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

3rd Week of BJJ...

...and my cardio and endurance has improved tremendously.

The demanding nature of rolling made my heart and lungs stronger. I can now roll for longer periods of time and not breathe as heavily as the first day.

The muscles in my forearms don't burn from gripping as much as the first day either.

Clearly, BJJ is a great way to improve endurance and cardio.

Right?

Administrator

Posted On:
    1/19/2004 11:25pm

supporting memberhall of famestaff
     Style: Muay Thai & BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Yes it is.

Welcome to the brotherhood.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sifu Rudy Abel
    "Just what makes a pure grappler think he can survive with an experienced striker. Especially if that striker isn't following any particular rule set and is well aware of what the grapplers strategies are".

Administrator

Posted On:
    1/19/2004 11:26pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Btw, start to learn how to monkey grip, that's using your fingers without your thumbs.

Helps with the forearm burns.
    "Just what makes a pure grappler think he can survive with an experienced striker. Especially if that striker isn't following any particular rule set and is well aware of what the grapplers strategies are".

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    1/19/2004 11:28pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Anthony,

I'm trying to start a fecal storm here about exercise here, actually.

Thank you, though. I'm enjoying it immensely. And I'll try that grip.
    Last edited by Nid; 1/19/2004 11:31pm at .

Posted On:
    1/19/2004 11:46pm

supporting memberstaff
     Style: Grappling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    "Clearly, BJJ is a great way to improve endurance and cardio."

TOTALLY!!!

Rather......Grappling and sparring is a good way to improve endurance and cardio you flipping nutrider!

And explosive strength as well.
    Surfing Facebook at work? Spread the good word by adding us on Facebook today! https://www.facebook.com/Bullshido

Posted On:
    1/19/2004 11:47pm

supporting memberstaff
     Style: Grappling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Still, don't forget to stomp your opponent who you use double legged down to the ground for some added realism.
    Surfing Facebook at work? Spread the good word by adding us on Facebook today! https://www.facebook.com/Bullshido

Administrator

Posted On:
    1/19/2004 11:49pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    You have to excusse PizdOff.

He loves BJJ, but hates himself for it.

Lord Of the Rhymes

Posted On:
    1/19/2004 11:52pm

Style: Pimpin/Tango-thanks Xango

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    There's no way someone can grapple without bettering his/hers cardio and endurance...
    Good job!
    Canuckyokushin:

These women can do back flips right over my head and still land on there feet .GRrrrrrrr!

THAT'S NOTHING, I USED TO KNOW SOME 12 YEAR-OLDS WHO COULD FIT INSIDE A SUITCASE AND STAY ALIVE FOR 7 OR WAS IT 6 HOURS

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    1/19/2004 11:53pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    You sure about that Jolly?

It is indeed my 3rd week of BJJ

I am not nearly as fatigued during/after rolling compared to the first day.

But it has NOTHING to do with any physical/trainable property of my body....much less my "heart and lungs". Thank God our bodies don't listen to the whims of our brains. We'd all be dead/crippled long ago with our "strong hearts" (or rather, the logical extension of what that really means, if it means anything at all) and the wholesale extrication of Satan's microscopic minions from our frames (those damn slow twitch muscle fibers getting in the way of our EXPLOSIVE POWER SPEED STRENGTH)....

It has everything to do with my *conscious decision* to not randomly flail around like an idiot. My "cardio" has improved because I engage my muscles considerably LESS. And when I do engage them it's much more efficient in terms of that which I'm trying to achieve outside my body.

When I get back into the gym (after a 2 month lay off), I will find that that which was developed on the mat is NOT a *general*, trainable property of my physical person. If explosive strength or endurance was improved, that *should* translate somehow into something I can objectively measure in a controlled environment independent of that precise venue in which it was developed. It doesn't work that way though. It's a one way street. Improvement in Activity X =/= Improvement in Activity Y =/= Improvment in Acticity Z. Improvement in Activity X and/or Y and/or Z =/= Improvement in Fitness. However, improvement in general fitness can and should help the procurement and execution of all skills in all activities. If an anecdote is of any value, there was a relatively experienced student there who just returned after an extended break. He gassed so bad, he left early. Despite my horribly tense, arbitrary and inefficient spaz-attack, I was able to continue where he called it a day. Maybe I don't know the whole story, but my impression was that he did not undertake any exercise outside of the BJJ. I'm guessing that was the difference between he and I.

Hell, the first time I did the Firefighter combat course, I absoloutly wrecked myself to achieve a very pathetic time. The second time I did it (with no change in my conditioning regiment), I achieved a slightly *better* time while, literally, not even breaking a sweat or breathing all that hard. The *only* things that changed was that I learned how to swing a sledge hammer more efficiently, I changed my grip on the dummy carry, plus a a few other things. But I did *not* run stairs carrying a twice-as-heavy dummy, or swing a friggin hammer til it dropped from my hands. The brutality I saved for the safe and measurable confines of a gym environment wherein my body, not my brain, was rationally and measurably stimulated to grow and improve.

As for any other piece-meal exercise value BJJ might have, it certainly doesn't make up for the injuries I've had so far. Real annoying bastards too...sprained toe, for instance. In terms of improving one's body; "with friends like these..."

Hitherto conclusion. Exercise is a sucky reason to get into martial arts.

EDITED**********************************

Antwon is responding to that which has been deleted.
    Last edited by Nid; 1/20/2004 12:59am at .

Administrator

Posted On:
    1/20/2004 12:01am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Keinhaar,

I'll tell you how. It's short rapid spurts of anaerobic and aerobic excercise.

You rest, and then build up again. The biggest thing for me to learn was to breathe and not hold it in.

As a smoker, it's been particulary hard, my last month at the Gracie Academy, I was able to roll for an hour straight with different partners.

Considering in a real life situation, it's over in seconds, I think I'm okay in that department. :)
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast