Page 2 of 49 FirstFirst 12 345612 ... LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Posted On:
    5/20/2009 12:50pm

Join us... or die
     Style: 剛 and 柔

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    No BS Martial Arts - View Single Post - No, You Do NOT F*cking "Do Karate".

and

No BS Martial Arts - View Single Post - Friend believes in "hard body training"

I doubt any studies have been done to explore, specifically, iron palm, iron shirt, makiwara, or kicking trees.
    What a disgrace it is for a man to grow old without ever seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable. -Xenophon's Socrates

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/20/2009 12:51pm

Style: Hillbilly Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyCache View Post
    Will anyone rise to the challenge of finding or making the science to test the hypothesis, "repeatedly striking surfaces at escalating levels of force eventually produces a change in bone structure useful in a martial arts context" and associated specifics, or will this thread sink like a fucking stone?
    It sounds like you've already made up your mind. What do you expect to get out of this thread other than the smug satisfaction that comes from vaingloriously ejaculating onto the tits of your own ego?

Posted On:
    5/20/2009 12:57pm

Style: Siling Labuyo Arnis

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyCache View Post
    vegitarianism seems, in fact, almost totally counter-intuative as I would think protien and calcium would be factors.
    Plenty of protein and calcium available through vegetable sources.

Dark Overlord of the Bullshido Underworld

Posted On:
    5/20/2009 12:58pm

supporting member
     Style: Taai Si Ji Kung Fu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by 1point2 View Post
    Someone posted a study recently (within the past month). It was a peer-reviewed study of judo, karate and something else.
    Judoka do not typically engage in explicit "bone conditioning" exercises.
    Calm down, it's only ones and zeros.

"Your calm and professional manner of response is really draining all the fun out of this. Can you reply more like Dr. Fagbot or something? Call me some names, mention some sand in my vagina or something of the sort. You can't expect me to come up with reasonable arguments man!" -- MaverickZ

"Tom Kagan spins in his grave and the fucking guy isn't even dead yet." -- Snake Plissken

My Bullshido fan club threads:
    Tom Kagan's a big hairy...
    Tom Kagan can lick my BALLS
    Tom Kagan teaches _ing __un and bigotry?
    Tom Kagan: Serious discussion here
    Lamokio asks the burning question is Tom Kagan a ***** or just cruising for some
    I'm Dave the gay Kickboxer from Manchester and I have the hots for Tom Kagan
    TOM KAGAN, OPEN ME, THE MKT ARE COMING FOR YOU ! ARE YOU MAN ENOUGH TO MEET ?
    ATTN TOM KAGAN
    World Dominator 'Kagan' in plot to lie about real Kung Fu and Martial Arts
    Tom Kagan just gave me my third negative rep in a day
    I am infatuated with Tom Kagan
    Tom Kagan is a fat balding white guy.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/20/2009 1:04pm

Style: Hillbilly Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Found these on PubMed.org (search time < 10 minutes)

Antonov SG, Shustov VN. Roentgenogrammetric analysis demonstrated a more intensive development in the II and III metacarpal hand bones, as well as in the forearm bones in karatists comparing to those in boxers and football players. The transversal diameter of the medullary cavity was less in the karatists. Visual analysis of the roentgenograms demonstrated presence of sesamoid bones in the area of the proximal interphalangeal joints II and III in the fingers of the karatists, waist thickening on the medial surface of the proximal and middle digital phalanges, a sharp thickening of the compact substance layer in the area of the inferior third of the medial surface of the ulnar bone.
    PMID: 7115107 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]

Pecht VS, Raschka Ch. Chirurgische Abteilung, HELIOS St. Elisabeth Klinik, Hünfeld. SPecht@huenfeld.helios-kliniken.de
    Over a period of 25 years a 40-year-old taekwondo world champion had conditioned his hand for so-called "breaking championships", by repeatedly striking progressively harder materials (sand, dried peas, a mixture of dried peas and small stones, and such like). An MRI investigation revealed an augmentation of tissue between the heads of the metacarpals. The biomechanical effect resulting from this "smoothing" of the striking area of the fist is to reduce the peak load acting on the prominent bony elements on impact, and thus reduce the risk of injury. The build-up of tissue represents a response of connective tissue to repetitive microtrauma.
    PMID: 16281784 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]
    Crosby AC.

The hands and wrists of 22 karate instructors who had practiced the
    sport for a minimum of five years were reviewed. Radiological evidence
    of a total of ten fractures was found. There was no evidence that
    practice of the sport predisposed to the early onset of chronic
    tenosynovitis or osteoarthritis.

PMID: 3995229

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/20/2009 1:10pm

Style: American Kenpo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    So what? Even if this is true, please tell me the value of hand conditioning. If you travel to Middle Earth and fight walking trees, I can maybe see the point. Otherwise, why do you need to be able to break rocks, boards, and cinder blocks?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/20/2009 1:16pm

Style: Basically Bad Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom Kagan View Post
    Judoka do not typically engage in explicit "bone conditioning" exercises.
    The interesting thing from reading the quoted study 1point2 linked was that Judo players had the highest bone mass density (with least variance too!), compared to Karate and Water Polo players.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/20/2009 1:39pm

Style: Shitoryu Karate and BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by kenpostudent View Post
    So what? Even if this is true, please tell me the value of hand conditioning. If you travel to Middle Earth and fight walking trees, I can maybe see the point. Otherwise, why do you need to be able to break rocks, boards, and cinder blocks?
    I suppose in theory it's a hit harder thing. If your bones are denser and stronger, you'll be able to hit harder than someone who's bones are not. You'll also be less likely to damage bones that are stronger if you hit someone in a spot that's not a good place to hit (like the top of the skull for example?).

Dark Overlord of the Bullshido Underworld

Posted On:
    5/20/2009 1:42pm

supporting member
     Style: Taai Si Ji Kung Fu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by leyon View Post
    The interesting thing from reading the quoted study 1point2 linked was that Judo players had the highest bone mass density (with least variance too!), compared to Karate and Water Polo players.

So, Judoka aren't fat; they're big boned?
    Calm down, it's only ones and zeros.

"Your calm and professional manner of response is really draining all the fun out of this. Can you reply more like Dr. Fagbot or something? Call me some names, mention some sand in my vagina or something of the sort. You can't expect me to come up with reasonable arguments man!" -- MaverickZ

"Tom Kagan spins in his grave and the fucking guy isn't even dead yet." -- Snake Plissken

My Bullshido fan club threads:
    Tom Kagan's a big hairy...
    Tom Kagan can lick my BALLS
    Tom Kagan teaches _ing __un and bigotry?
    Tom Kagan: Serious discussion here
    Lamokio asks the burning question is Tom Kagan a ***** or just cruising for some
    I'm Dave the gay Kickboxer from Manchester and I have the hots for Tom Kagan
    TOM KAGAN, OPEN ME, THE MKT ARE COMING FOR YOU ! ARE YOU MAN ENOUGH TO MEET ?
    ATTN TOM KAGAN
    World Dominator 'Kagan' in plot to lie about real Kung Fu and Martial Arts
    Tom Kagan just gave me my third negative rep in a day
    I am infatuated with Tom Kagan
    Tom Kagan is a fat balding white guy.

I am a living legend!

Posted On:
    5/20/2009 1:43pm

supporting member
     Style: Tatsumaki Senpuu Kyaku

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Bone conditioning always perplexed me. It's a lot of time spent doing something with very little evidence works that is good for.... what?
Page 2 of 49 FirstFirst 12 345612 ... LastLast