• Register
Our Sponsors:

Page 14 of 49 FirstFirst ... 41011121314 1516171824 ... LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Nothing for Show, All for use

Posted On:
    5/21/2009 1:43pm

Business Class Supporting Membersupporting member
     Dale Dugas Herbs: The Best Chinese Herbs & The Best Jow for the Best Price! Style: Jook Lum South Mantis,

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Brothers and sisters,

argue all you want.

train the way you want.

but if and when you have issues seek me out and I will help you fix what is not working for you.

be well, train hard and heal quickly

All Out of Bubblegum

Posted On:
    5/21/2009 1:53pm

supporting memberforum leader
     Style: MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    "I'm bowing out, but I'm still better than you because I know the wu-tang secret"
    There's no choice but to confront you, to engage you, to erase you. I've gone to great lengths to expand my threshold of pain. I will use my mistakes against you. There's no other choice.

12th level logic wielder

Posted On:
    5/21/2009 1:54pm

Style: BJJ, judo, rapier

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by WhiteShark View Post
    The burden of proof seems unfairly high in this thread. For example this statement would be enough for me:

"Conditioning my hands has made me able to break things that I used to not be able to break."

However the opponents in this thread seem to want evidence that it is not only effective but contributes to some sort of bone growth that specifically aids striking.
    If you could substantiate that claim, you’d have hit gold. The problem is that “I condition my hands, and I can break things I never used to be able to break” is a very different statement from “I condition my hands, I can break things that I never used to be able to break, and the hand conditioning is why I can now break them”.

Suppose you condition your hands over a period of ten years; suppose your breaking skills improve over the same period of time; how do you substantiate the claim that the conditioning is the reason for your improved breaking skills, rather than just improved technique?
    [ petterhaggholm.net | blog | essays ]
    [ self defence: general thoughts | bjj: “don’t go to the ground”? ]
    “The plural of anecdote is anecdotes, not data.”

Nothing for Show, All for use

Posted On:
    5/21/2009 2:23pm

Business Class Supporting Membersupporting member
     Dale Dugas Herbs: The Best Chinese Herbs & The Best Jow for the Best Price! Style: Jook Lum South Mantis,

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyCache View Post
    "I'm bowing out, but I'm still better than you because I know the wu-tang secret"
    You opened the door.

I made comments about what you posted about.

People want to argue.

I would rather train.

I also am very public with anyone wanting to come visit and see what I do.

Time is short and I would rather train, and plus I have 30 + hours of acupuncture and herb classes that I should worry about more than a pissing contest.

Be well, brother.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    5/21/2009 2:36pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: okinawan karate

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I regularly strike the makiwara. I find it very enjoyable and feel that it does help develop penetrating power and focus. I also believe that it strengthens the wrists in the context of striking. I have it lightly padded, and use it in conjunction with the heavy bag. The two have different feelings, and different feedbacks. My goal was never to develop huge callouses. As far repeatedly striking stones and such, it is very risky, and you could end up not being able to tie your shoelaces. But then, that's a small price to pay to be able to shatter a charging samurai's shield.

All Out of Bubblegum

Posted On:
    5/21/2009 2:38pm

supporting memberforum leader
     Style: MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Dale Dugas View Post
    You opened the door.

I made comments about what you posted about.

People want to argue.

I would rather train.

I also am very public with anyone wanting to come visit and see what I do.

Time is short and I would rather train, and plus I have 30 + hours of acupuncture and herb classes that I should worry about more than a pissing contest.

Be well, brother.
    If that's REALLY how you mean it, fine, but you post "Come to so and so and meet me and we'll discuss it" quite a bit when you're being asked questions. What are you going to show me in person about this topic that you don't think you can explain to me here?
    There's no choice but to confront you, to engage you, to erase you. I've gone to great lengths to expand my threshold of pain. I will use my mistakes against you. There's no other choice.

Posted On:
    5/21/2009 2:44pm

Style: Pekiti, ARMA, other stuff

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyCache View Post
    Killa Bees!

Posted On:
    5/21/2009 3:05pm

Style: chinese boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I think Dale Dugas has a few threads on the subject of IP training as well as an article he might be able to post.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/21/2009 3:06pm

Style: elbow smash

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Can't you just go to the doctor and take an x-ray or something? Then come back with some actual evidence, and not promises of demonstrations.

Posted On:
    5/21/2009 3:06pm

Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Let's put it this way, court rules of evidence usually follow some semblance of logic. You can ask the court to take judicial notice of readily verifiable facts: for example Los Angeles is in the state of California. Water flows downhill. Obama is President. The proposition that bone-conditioning aids karateka in combat because it makes their bones harder and thus able to strike harder wouldn't even be a close call. It's really, in fact, a rather fantastic proposition which is backed up by a LOT of anecdotal evidence. Now anecdotal evidence may be weak, but that doesn't mean that it isn't evidence. That doesn't change the fact that the burden of proof is on the person making this proposition. In other words, you pro-bone conditioning folks are assuming facts that are not in evidence.