Featherweight

Posted On:
    5/20/2009 9:34am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: DZR JJJ / MMA noob

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Beginner needs strength training advice

As the title hopefully suggests I'm very new to strength training and I'm in dire need of some direction. There's so much information out there that it's difficult for me to weed through it all and pick out what works for my physiology, experience and lifestyle.

Here's the background:

I'm 23, lounged through PE in high school and never did any sort of regular physical extra-curricular activity until I started training japanese jujitsu for the last couple of years. Despite the relatively lazy lifestyle I remain pretty slim; 6'0" 175lbs at present. Suddenly I developed this itch to get stronger (and bigger. This skinny thing is getting old) and joined a gym, started taking whey and casein protein, creatine and fish oil supplements and started devouring anything with a high amount of protein.

My workout typically involves preacher bicep curls, overhead tricep extensions, bench press, dual deltoid raise, and leg press. I do 4 sets of each, with 8-12 reps in each set. If I can manage 15 reps in the last set it's time to up the weight. My workouts fall on Mon/Wed/Fri and generally take about 40 minutes.

My training schedule is DanZan Ryu (Japanese) Jujitsu on Mon/Wed/Thurs/Fri and varies in intensity, but never fails to work up a decent sweat. On Monday and Wednesday my classes land immediately after finishing an eight or so hour shift. Thurs/Fri are my days off.

Any help is appreciated.

Posted On:
    5/20/2009 10:39am

Business Class Supporting Memberstaff
     Guy Who Pays the Bills and Gets the Death Threats Style: MMA (Retired)

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    You're doing isolation exercises. Do lifts that hit multiple muscles at the same time and build your core strength.

Actually, just do Stronglifts (link goes to PDF).

l Travel To Get Choked!

Posted On:
    5/20/2009 11:42am

Style: Judo, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Phrost View Post
    You're doing isolation exercises. Do lifts that hit multiple muscles at the same time and build your core strength.

/End Thread

I've been doing Stronglifts for a few months. It's fantastic.

Posted On:
    5/20/2009 1:48pm

Style: MMA, Gōjū-ryu k

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Phrost View Post

QFT.

And dont nutride Starting Strength either. Do compound exercises that work primarily your legs and back, this helps a lot in martial arts as these muscles provide a lot of your stability.

I recommend exrx.net for finding the right exercises.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/21/2009 10:01am

Style: bum rush karate

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Disclaimer: I'm just a dude, no phd or research credits to my name but this is what I've synthesized from teh interwebs and works for me.

Noob error: You want big arms, so you think curls and extensions will get you there.

Truth: Bicep/Tricep exercises are inefficient.

The bench press will build up your triceps AND your chest AND your shoulders AND most other muscles north of your hips AND resembles how you actually use your body to push things. Do the bench press, not tricep extensions. It may be intimidating. You may feel inadequate because of the amount of weight on each end of the bar. But just do it. Bench press is primary, tricep extensions are ancillary and support your bench pressing. If you don't have a bend, do dips. Do dips even if you have a bench.

Pulling exercises work your biceps AND your back AND your shoulders AND everything the bench doesn't. I enjoy pull ups. Try pull ups with a weight belt. Try high lifts. Try holding your torso parallel to the ground while dong pullups. Try doing pullups with your feet straight in the air while upside down with good posture. I don't like lat pulldowns because I don't like to sit while lifting. I don't like seated rows for the same reason. YMMV. Biceps are used to aid in pulling things, bicep curls are ancillary to pulling exercises.

Squats > leg presses. Leg press machines are fun because you can load them up with like 300 lbs and move that 300 lbs a foot or so. Leg presses make it look like you are doing a lot more work than you are doing. Do squats. Squats require stabilization and involve your back and stomach and resemble actualy movements you do with your body.

Do deadlifts when you're not doing squats. I like dumbell deadlifts b/c they are easier on my shins.

Warm up. Stretch before/after/during a workout session. Eat Feel free to try new things you see other people doing but don't hurt yourself. Eat carbs/protein 1-1.5 hours before lifting. Eat protein/carbs immediately after lifting. Push yourself but try to avoid running out of gas and getting stuck with a bar crushing your chest. Play around with increasing or decreasing weight between sets. Have fun.

Try more weight, less reps. If you can do 10 reps, try adding more weight.
    Last edited by atom; 5/21/2009 10:10am at .

Dysfunctionally Strong

Posted On:
    5/21/2009 3:09pm

supporting member
     Style: Boxing/Wrestling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The DB deadlift is an extremely poor substitute for a barbell deadlift. Your shins will toughen up, and if there's really a problem, wear long socks.
    "Emevas,
    You're a scrapper, I like that."-Ronin69

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/21/2009 3:29pm

Style: bum rush karate

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Emevas View Post
    The DB deadlift is an extremely poor substitute for a barbell deadlift. Your shins will toughen up, and if there's really a problem, wear long socks.
    What makes the barbell lift superior?

Dysfunctionally Strong

Posted On:
    5/21/2009 3:35pm

supporting member
     Style: Boxing/Wrestling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    It's not a question so much of the barbell lift being superior insomuch as the DB version is inferior. You will lift significantly less weight using DBs, and given you are training the deadlift as a means to develop whole body strength, limiting your weight via implement usage is working against you. Also, unless you have insane shoulder stability, the DBs aren't going to stay in place as they would with a barbell, and they'll more than likely drift close to your body/to the side in a more natural way of holding, which is nice and comfy, but completely robbing you of training your core to get stronger and more stable during the lift as you would encounter with a barbell. Basically, the choice of DBs is reducing the results you'll be getting.

DBs aren't bad for something like 1 legged deadlifts, but for programs and protocols calling for an actual deadlift, suck it up and use the barbell.
    "Emevas,
    You're a scrapper, I like that."-Ronin69

is badder than you

Posted On:
    5/21/2009 11:18pm

Join us... or die
     Style: None

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Also, aside from differences in the movement, etc... most gyms don't have big enough DBs for a respectable deadlift.
    Quote Originally Posted by Emevas View Post
    Downstreet on the flip-flop, timepants.

STOP POSTING!

Posted On:
    5/22/2009 1:27am

supporting member
     Style: Muay Thai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    yeah i can dead 100kg, so that would be sort of like 2x50kg dbs which is the heaviest weve got... and i dont deadlift that much compared to some.

also if youre hurting your shins, youre doing it wrong bro. i really cant see how you could be doing that unless you are doing something wack.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast