Our Sponsors:

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 6 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Posted On:
    7/06/2009 8:57am

Style: Pekiti, ARMA, other stuff

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    After the Vunak thread, might I suggest you get Rene some cocaine?

Solves all problems at once

It's pretty beat up, but it is a complete copy....

Posted On:
    7/07/2009 1:51am

supporting member
     Style: EBMAS WT/ Latosa Concepts

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by selfcritical View Post
    After the Vunak thread, might I suggest you get Rene some cocaine?

Solves all problems at once
    Well, Rene told me one time that anyone can show you how to do hits and twirls (dead patterns), you can even just watch videos or read magazines for that, so when he gives a seminar, which might be the ONLY seminar you get from him ever, he likes to make sure you understand his training concepts.

It can turn into a lot of talk and less action for the students, but I would bet that this was from a 3 day weekend of WT and Latosa Escrima and that these guys (that did both styles) trained 4 to 6 hours Friday night, and 8 to 10 hours on both Sat and Sunday, if not more. This lesson was probably a "break". Atleast that is my experience in WT/Escrima (in the old AWTO/AEO and now in EBMAS.) This type of lecture is done in the middle so you can rest.

Give Rene some Coke, I will have to tell him that.....:icon_clow

What is this VunaK thread?

"If anything is gained from this, it should be you both wanting to get better so you can make up for how crappy you are now." KidSpatula about the Sirc vs DTT Gong Sau Event
    Until the Bulltube is fixed:
    DTT vs Sirc

Posted On:
    7/11/2009 1:50pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I've seen very poor video on Latosa I admit. Most of the time he explains the concepts, but doesn't really give much of a tactical framework, or say "moving this will be the key to generating power in this movement", etc. I tend to get very few useful rules of thumb or ways of simplifying the organization of combat in the way that for example BJJ breaks down positional advantage on the ground, or most FMA systems use their footwork matrix.

Shime Waza Test Dummy

Posted On:
    7/20/2009 6:44pm

Join us... or die
     Style: StrikeyGrappling & WW2-fu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    "Judo is a study of techniques with which you may kill if you wish to kill, injure if you wish to injure, subdue if you wish to subdue, and, when attacked, defend yourself" - Jigoro Kano (1889)
    ***Was this quote "taken out of context"?***

"The judoist has no time to allow himself a margin for error, especially in a situation upon which his or another person's very life depends...."
    ~ The Secret of Judo (Jiichi Watanabe & Lindy Avakian), p.19

"Hope is not a method... nor is enthusiasm."
    ~ Brigadier General Gordon Toney

Posted On:
    7/21/2009 6:10pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Kali, JKD

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I haven't read through all these responses, and don't know if anyone still cares about this particular question, but I would agree that Rick Faye has some of the best empty-hand FMA you can find. If you're just looking for online clip videos, check him out, or the Minnesota Kali Group (they have their own youtube channel). And also definitely check out Rick Young, full-on UK badass. More than anyone, though, if you're looking for clips of FMA in general, I'd stick with Guro Inosanto. And there's plenty of great footage out there of him.

Posted On:
    7/22/2009 11:20am

Style: Trad Ju Jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by jspeedy View Post
    Does anyone know of any good FMA videos/clips? I've seen a lot of the Dog Bros. stuff and some other random stuff out there. Mostly i'm interested in instructional videos or videos od people training/sparring, or random demonstrations, but anything new is cool to check out.

Mainly I just want to see what else is out there and how it differs from what I know. I've seen some stuff but it dosen't seem like there's a whole lot of FMA rescources out there, at least when you compare to all the other MA stuff available. I tried the search and didn't come up with any specifically FMA clips. What do you guys have?
    Apologies for not reading beyond page 1. I've got some Rick Young DVD's which I bought at SENI (MA extravaganza in London) and they seem OK bearing in Mind, I know eff all about FMA. Rick is a highly respected Instructor based in Edinburgh, Scotland. FMA adept under Dan Inosanto. For interest, he's also a genuine BJJ BB (one of the first in the UK) Judo adept and more.

I think the DVDs are available form Summerscale or similar. I'll take a look at the publisher tonight and see if I can confirm.

Posted On:
    7/23/2009 7:10am

Style: Trad Ju Jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Eddie Hardon View Post
    Apologies for not reading beyond page 1. I've got some Rick Young DVD's which I bought at SENI (MA extravaganza in London) and they seem OK bearing in Mind, I know eff all about FMA. Rick is a highly respected Instructor based in Edinburgh, Scotland. FMA adept under Dan Inosanto. For interest, he's also a genuine BJJ BB (one of the first in the UK) Judo adept and more.

I think the DVDs are available form Summerscale or similar. I'll take a look at the publisher tonight and see if I can confirm.
    The publisher is Summersdale. www.summersdale.com

Hope it helps. :wave:

Posted On:
    7/25/2009 8:32am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    So, I finally watched the section of the Ray Floro where he deals with swords.

He is......not as clever with sword work as he is with knives.

I blame fencing. I'll get into it later on my first break today.

Shime Waza Test Dummy

Posted On:
    7/25/2009 1:24pm

Join us... or die
     Style: StrikeyGrappling & WW2-fu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by selfcritical View Post
    So, I finally watched the section of the Ray Floro where he deals with swords.

He is......not as clever with sword work as he is with knives.

I blame fencing. I'll get into it later on my first break today.
    I think that all of his experience fencing allowed him to have a different view of knife work, when he got involved in FMAs he really strove to trim things down to the bare essentials. That & his limiting his knife system to the 1 thru 5 strikes of FMA, only targeting upper body targets of face, neck, and chest, which are easiest to reach with his ice pick jab&slash style of striking, really facilitates quick learning. It's very simple & very effective.
    I rather like his system. Just me I guess ^_^
    "Judo is a study of techniques with which you may kill if you wish to kill, injure if you wish to injure, subdue if you wish to subdue, and, when attacked, defend yourself" - Jigoro Kano (1889)
    ***Was this quote "taken out of context"?***

"The judoist has no time to allow himself a margin for error, especially in a situation upon which his or another person's very life depends...."
    ~ The Secret of Judo (Jiichi Watanabe & Lindy Avakian), p.19

"Hope is not a method... nor is enthusiasm."
    ~ Brigadier General Gordon Toney

Posted On:
    7/25/2009 1:31pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Oh, I like the knife stuff. It boils down a lot of stuff i use in a very simple format.

The sword stuff, when he's discussing why he thinks the umbrella defenses are "wrong", he misses something so incredibly obvious it makes my head spin. He basicially tells the audience that the roof/umbrella will get your hand hit and then proceeds to demonstrate......but the way your hand gets hit in his demonstration ONLY HAPPENS BECAUSE HE MAKES HIS ASSISTANT DO THE WRONG SIDE DEFENSE!!! You see, he throws a forehand and then tells the assistant to roof, and then marvels cause he hit the hand.............but Ray is throwing his forehand from the left side! The roof isn't the appropriate response for that angle.....the umbrella #2/shield is!

And his assistant tries to do this defense, but Ray stops him and tells him to do the other one, and then concludes the roof is unworkable!.

It. Is. Retarded.
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 6 LastLast