Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst 1234 5678 ... LastLast

Featherweight

Posted On:
    5/20/2009 3:12pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Judo,TKD for funzies

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    My older brother is training to become a body builder and I told him about this and he replies.

“Yeah I used to do that, still do sometimes, but I’m always the biggest guy there so it doesn’t matter what the other guys think”

He’s well aware that he’s a douche bag.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    5/20/2009 3:25pm

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Most everytime I have gone the benches are taken. My schedule is usually worked so that I have to put up with gym rush hour (morning or night). Besides, I put the bar on the j hooks at the front of the rack. It isn't a safety thing, just using a rack that is almost never used for squats. Same thing with doing deadlifts at that rack, I really just use it for the spare bar and the plates are close by. Not sure how that makes me a douche.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/20/2009 5:19pm

Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    These threads are always filled with anecdotes about enduring the gym idiocy of others. I'll change it up a little by telling of a time when I was the chump.

Back when Poliquin's 'unstable environment' concept was first hitting the lifting mags I decided to incorporate it into my routine by performing squats while standing on a basketball.

Yes, a basketball.

Developing the balance needed to perch on the ball and 'walk it forward' took me a while. During that time the regulars were treated to the sight of Lenny playing circus bear by the dumbbell rack, complete with slapstick pinwheeling and occasional full-on pratfalls.

It didn't help that I refused to explain myself. I was convinced that everyone was going to be in awe of my progressive lifting technique and I worried that if I spilled the beans someone with better coordination would beat me to giving the first demonstration.

Eventually I got the hang of it. I hadn't told my plan even to my lifting partner. When I placed the basketball under the rack and tossed on a couple plates, he figured it out. "Oh my God. Dude, I am not spotting that."

"Fine, it's just a warmup." I hopped on the ball in a crouch, got the bar situated, and stood up.

KERR-POW!!

The bar hit the stands, I hit the deck, and after it was obvious I was OK my partner about suffocated laughing, along with the half of the room that wasn't staring dazedly in the direction of the gunshot. I got grief - called "Basketball Jones" and had popping noises made around me, etc, the rest of the time I lifted there.

For those who have a hard time visualizing the event I've added this professional artist's reproduction:

I'd like to leave this world like I came into it: Screaming, naked & covered in someone else's blood

Posted On:
    5/20/2009 6:30pm

supporting member
     Style: Muay Thai (BJJ hiatus)

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Another version of this is a friend of mine constantly complaining that he couldn't squat at lunch time because the 3 racks were occupied by PT's and their clients squatting just the empty bar and having to use the rack for it.
    " The reason elite level MMAists don't fight with aikido is the same reason elite level swimmers don't swim with their lips." - Virus

" I shocked him with my skills on the ice becuase Wing Chun is great for hockey fighting." - 'Sifu' Milt Wallace

"Besides, as you might already know (from Virus, for example) - there's only 1 wing chun and it sucks big time" - Tonuzaba

"Even when I'm promising mayhem and butt-chicanery, I'm generally posting with a smile on my face." - Sochin101

"That said, if he blocked my hip on a drop nage, I would extend my leg into a drop tai Otoshi and slam him so hard his parents would die." - MTripp

Posted On:
    5/20/2009 6:33pm

Business Class Supporting Memberstaff
     Guy Who Pays the Bills and Gets the Death Threats Style: MMA (Retired)

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Now THAT's when you start raising hell.

Also, brilliant fucking story Lennyfa. It takes a real man to admit when he was "THAT GUY".

Posted On:
    5/20/2009 7:23pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: bjj

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    i don't care that much, but you have a good point. squat racks are far less plentiful than places to do do curls. i think it's great though, because the guys i always see doing curls at the squat rack usually aren't even doing curls. rather, they're not using their biceps to do the curls in question. the curling motion is almost exclusively facilitated with a thrust from the hips. and i'm pretty sure the grunting is necessary for full flexion.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/21/2009 11:18pm

Style: Boxing, Beginner BJJ,

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by PhillyLameSauce View Post
    Does your planet fitness have that FRIGGIN lunk alarm, too?

The one I go to in NH has this unbearably loud, eardrum-shattering banshee-wail alarm that goes off if someone grunts while lifting weights, dropping weights, or does a plethora of other **** that piss off the staff.

This is double-great, as now not only is someone curling in the squat rack, but when he grunts from fake overexertion and sets off the alarm, I now have to replace the fucking mirror cuz I launched a dumbell in surprise....

Jackhole.
    Yep... what's worse is the "No Deadlift" policy.... WTF is wrong with deadlifts!!!

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/21/2009 11:19pm

Style: S.H.I.T. MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Rancid Pantaloons View Post
    I read your post but I still don't understand what is wrong with this. just because he occupies your squat rack? I think most people don't think about these things.

well written post though;)

Then you are that douchebag....and you need to start the heavy squattin

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/21/2009 11:24pm

Style: Boxing, Beginner BJJ,

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by sasquatch989 View Post
    Then you are that douchebag....and you need to start the heavy squattin
    :icon_joke

STOP POSTING!

Posted On:
    5/22/2009 1:49am

supporting member
     Style: Muay Thai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    1- i woulda kicked your ass out for taking photos of gym members

2- getting worked up over this is pretty weird for something that is small potatoes. i spend 50 or so hours a week in the gym, trust me, ive seen much worse ****.

3- it doesnt exactly look like rush hour, i mean if theres people wanting to use the rack then sure make something of it, hell if you have such a problem then go and tell the dude hey, this rack isnt for curls... instead of being a douche and posting his pic on the internet. ***** option imo. so much for fighting bullshido... instead why not just sit on the sideline, snipe at clueless people, and give each other some meaty thigh slaps before you hit the showers, am i right?

I mean the elitism in this thread fucking lols me, like this guy commited a cardinal sin or something. hes probably just some newb who hasnt been told what to do (not helped i imagine by how **** planet fitness appears to be, who the **** bans deads?)
Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst 1234 5678 ... LastLast