Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/21/2004 12:33am

Style: Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Just remember guys that western periodization (as laid out by Tudor Bompa) is actually quite ineffective. The reason was his flawed reasoning (wow, that sounded better in my head).

The thought was that you trained hypertrophy--->Strength--->Power

So you make the muscle larger, then stronger, then faster.

However, it's now known that classic hypertrophy training results in increases in sarcoplasm and mitochondrial density, neither one of which is in any way related to the strength of a muscle, neither one has any benefit when you then begin a strength phase either. In fact, both adaptations detrain quickly during a strength phase, meaning that your hypertrophy phase was a pointless waste of time. Since a strength phase results in increases in myosin and actin (the contractile proteins) it actually helps.

Then it turns out that concurrent training of strength and power (training them both at the same time) is far more effective for developing both than training them seperately is.

It's all about conjugate periodization with concurrent strength and power training.

Word

The man they call FoM

Posted On:
    1/21/2004 12:39am

supporting member
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Smackdown says things that interest FingerorMoon? :)

Do you have any website articles or books that has more info on the new theory or anything that discusses the flaws in Bompas work ?
    The Wastrel - So attractive he HAS to be a woman.
    - Pizdoff

Posted On:
    1/21/2004 8:17am

Join us... or die
     Style: Shi Ja Quan

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Kids, kids, kids...
    Did you guys NOT get the article at all ??
    You have to take into account that the system was based on STEROID cycling !!!
    Its a good theory, sound in fact, BUT, useful for a SPECIFIC goal and that is peaking for a contest and cycling steroid use with weight training.

Now I am NOT saying you can't use it, just realise WHAT you are doing it for.

Posted On:
    1/21/2004 8:49am

supporting member
     Style: BJJ - Homeland Security

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I always do my power lifts with ballistic movement (accelerating the weight as fast as possible and stopping when I can't accelerate it). Thank you, Arnold Encyclopedia!

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/21/2004 12:33pm

Style: Goju Ryu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The closest I get to periodization is taking a week off every 8-9 weeks. Other than that, it's Max OT for me.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/21/2004 12:57pm

Style: Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Ronin,

Whether you're steroid cycling or not classic western periodization will result in the same adaptations in each phase. If you're using he steroids will just increase the rate of adaptation, not change the adaptations that occur. Although it's true that certain steroids encourage certain adaptations.

Fingermoon?,

I don't have anything that directly compares Bompa's work to more recent developments, however if you're interested you should check out the following:

Tesch PA. "Skeletal muscle adaptations consequent to long-term heavy resistance exercise." Med Sci Sports Exerc. 1988 Oct;20(5 Suppl):S132-4. Review.

MacDougall et al. "Muscle ultrastructural characteristics of elite powerlifters and bodybuilders." Eur J Appl Physiol Occup Physiol. 1982;48(1):117-26.

Luthi JM et al. "Structural changes in skeletal muscle tissue with heavy-resistance exercise." Int J Sports Med. 1986 Jun;7(3):123-7.

Hnik, P. "Controversial aspects of skeletal muscle tone." Biomed Biochim Acta. 1986;45(1-2):S139-43.

Those'll give you what you're looking for.

Word

The man they call FoM

Posted On:
    1/21/2004 5:51pm

supporting member
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Thanks !
    The Wastrel - So attractive he HAS to be a woman.
    - Pizdoff
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12