Hell yeah! Hell no!

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/15/2009 9:19pm

Style: Wing Chun

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Ichigo View Post
    I have been debating with this guy about wing chun and why it's dumb but it seems like what ever I say goes out through his other ear. Then he keeps saying "stop watching youtube videos, thats not real wing chun"
    I ask him what is real wing chun and he says "I dont have to prove anything to you", I'm trying to save his guy's martial arts life but he just doesnt get it. after a while during one of my comments I tell him that Wing Chun is useless and then he calls me disrespectfull.

After that he asks me to challenge his "Master Fong" (60 years old) right after he told me I'm disrespectfull, (he avoids Sparring). how do you Convince a chunner? what do you do to convince a chunner?
    If you do have a friend that does wing chun and you're interested in his martial arts career the first thing I would reccomend is show some genuine interest in what he does. When you ask him what real wing chun is don't immediatly say let's spar. Ask him to show you a technique. And then slowly say but what if I threw a combination. Or what if I ducked under and and went for a throw. Make him see the flaws in his system (if there are any) but in doing it this way he will start to value your opinion becasue he will see you are willing to give him some credibility until that is proven false. Rther than stating it's fals until proven true. If a BJJ guy I just met laughs and says i need to quit kung fu cause its carp I'm not gonna care. If one of my freinds in BJJ says they think a technique in kung fu I use might not be as effective as I thought it would I eould take this into serious consideration becasue I respect and value thier opinion.

By simply saying that wing chun sux or is useless it is disrepectfull. How would you feel if he came up to you and said judo is useless cause it's only a sport and you don't hit anyone. You would most likely feel he was disrepectfull. So of course the approach you took was not effective. If you ever do find yourself personal freinds with a chunner I would advise you to remember this advice and simply be nice and show some willingness to view it with an open mind. Don't jump right into sparring becasue most kung fu guys will take this as a death fight and are conditioned to believe that sparring is dangerous and nothing good can come from it. I have converted 2 wing chun students I work with in my school to sparring by slowly introducing them to it and letting them see the leaps and bounds it improves thier reaction and fighting skills.

that's my ramblings. Feel free to take it or leave it, but I think that will help you out.

Posted On:
    5/15/2009 9:22pm

Style: Ronin wannabe

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by wingchunx2z View Post
    By simply saying that wing chun sux or is useless it is disrepectfull. How would you feel if he came up to you and said judo is useless cause it's only a sport and you don't hit anyone.
    You would grab a collar tie or his shirt and do this.

Administrator

Posted On:
    5/15/2009 9:29pm

staff
     Style: xingyi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by wingchunx2z View Post
    If you do have a friend that does wing chun and you're interested in his martial arts career the first thing I would reccomend is show some genuine interest in what he does. When you ask him what real wing chun is don't immediatly say let's spar. Ask him to show you a technique. And then slowly say but what if I threw a combination. Or what if I ducked under and and went for a throw. Make him see the flaws in his system (if there are any) but in doing it this way he will start to value your opinion becasue he will see you are willing to give him some credibility until that is proven false. Rther than stating it's fals until proven true. If a BJJ guy I just met laughs and says i need to quit kung fu cause its carp I'm not gonna care. If one of my freinds in BJJ says they think a technique in kung fu I use might not be as effective as I thought it would I eould take this into serious consideration becasue I respect and value thier opinion.

By simply saying that wing chun sux or is useless it is disrepectfull. How would you feel if he came up to you and said judo is useless cause it's only a sport and you don't hit anyone. You would most likely feel he was disrepectfull. So of course the approach you took was not effective. If you ever do find yourself personal freinds with a chunner I would advise you to remember this advice and simply be nice and show some willingness to view it with an open mind. Don't jump right into sparring becasue most kung fu guys will take this as a death fight and are conditioned to believe that sparring is dangerous and nothing good can come from it. I have converted 2 wing chun students I work with in my school to sparring by slowly introducing them to it and letting them see the leaps and bounds it improves thier reaction and fighting skills.

that's my ramblings. Feel free to take it or leave it, but I think that will help you out.
    This is why you don't argue with chunners.

Notice the transference?

Posted On:
    5/15/2009 9:30pm

Style: Judo+soon 2b bjj,boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by G-Off View Post
    You would grab a collar tie or his shirt and do this.

Thread over.

Judo wins again via uchi-mata.
    Let your anger be like a monkey trapped inside a pinata; waiting inside, hoping that the children don't break through with the stick.

-Master Tang (Kung Pow! Enter the Fist)

A word to the wise ain't necessary. It's the stupid ones who need the advice.
    Bill Cosby

The believer is happy, the doubter wise.
    Greek proverb

Quote Originally Posted by Nicko1 View Post
    Martial Talk is not neutral, it's just neutered.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/15/2009 9:38pm

Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I have been debating with this guy about wing chun and why it's dumb but it seems like what ever I say goes out through his other ear. Then he keeps saying "stop watching youtube videos, thats not real wing chun"
    I ask him what is real wing chun and he says "I dont have to prove anything to you", I'm trying to save his guy's martial arts life but he just doesnt get it. after a while during one of my comments I tell him that Wing Chun is useless and then he calls me disrespectfull.

After that he asks me to challenge his "Master Fong" (60 years old) right after he told me I'm disrespectfull, (he avoids Sparring). how do you Convince a chunner? what do you do to convince a chunner?
    Or, to rephrase your question, how can you convince irrational people to be rational? When you learn the answer to that one, please letme know.

See my tongue. SEE IT!

Posted On:
    5/15/2009 9:45pm

Business Class Supporting Member
      Style: BJJ, MT, TKD

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    how do you Convince a chunner? what do you do to convince a chunner?
    You don't. They have to see for themselves.

Use the time you save to train more.

"I feel naked I was so distracted by your penis"

DETROIT WHAT! (and surrounding upper-class burbs)

Posted On:
    5/15/2009 9:56pm

Style: Ving Tsun

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    "I dont have to prove anything to you"
    He's right, and he doesn't. So why do you care? One of the biggest problems with chunners is when they jump out in front of you, going "OF **** LOOK AT ME!!! FUUUUCCCCKK!!!!! I AM FUCKING AWSOME!!! AND INVINCCCCCIIIIIBLEEEE!!! FOOOOOOOOKKKKKKK!!!! MY CHUN IS FAKKING UNSTOPPABAL!!!"

A chunner *not* trying to prove anything to you? You've struck gold.

I'm trying to save his guy's martial arts life but he just doesnt get it.
    See that bandwagon you've jumped on? Yeah, that one. Do us all a favor and jump off (preferrably into something sharp and toxic).

:byewhore:

Posted On:
    5/15/2009 10:00pm

Style: Judo+soon 2b bjj,boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Dagon Akujin View Post
    He's right, and he doesn't. So why do you care? One of the biggest problems with chunners is when they jump out in front of you, going "OF **** LOOK AT ME!!! FUUUUCCCCKK!!!!! I AM FUCKING AWSOME!!! AND INVINCCCCCIIIIIBLEEEE!!! FOOOOOOOOKKKKKKK!!!! MY CHUN IS FAKKING UNSTOPPABAL!!!"

A chunner *not* trying to prove anything to you? You've struck gold.

See that bandwagon you've jumped on? Yeah, that one. Do us all a favor and jump off (preferrably into something sharp and toxic).

:byewhore:

YouTube - Kung Pow enter the fist - psycho bitch
    Let your anger be like a monkey trapped inside a pinata; waiting inside, hoping that the children don't break through with the stick.

-Master Tang (Kung Pow! Enter the Fist)

A word to the wise ain't necessary. It's the stupid ones who need the advice.
    Bill Cosby

The believer is happy, the doubter wise.
    Greek proverb

Quote Originally Posted by Nicko1 View Post
    Martial Talk is not neutral, it's just neutered.
Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 12 3456 ... LastLast